Author Topic: Recommend books please  (Read 4321 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Recommend books please
« on: February 28, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
For years, I have had an audible.com account. I listen to books on my mp3 player (and old-time radio and music) while driving, etc.

I usually I carry over a few from year to year but this year I will not be able to extend the membership so I must use up my remaining book credits before they expire.

Please suggest books to me that would make good listening so the credits do not go to waste.

I have a few series that I could use the credits on (JD Robb's "In Death" has a ton of books so I could get more in that series) but sometimes getting other recommendations have lead me to some interesting new authors.  Like Stieg Larsson books that were recommended to me:

Stieg Larsson (1954-2004) was a Swedish writer and journalist.  Prior to his sudden death of a heart attack in November 2004 he finished three detective novels in his trilogy "The Millenium-series" which were published posthumously; "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo", "The Girl Who Played With Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest". Altogether, his trilogy has sold more than 20 million copies in 41 countries (spring of 2010), and he was the second bestselling author in the world 2008.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
Re: Recommend books please
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 04:11:51 PM »
Sami, if you have not read those Stieg Larsson books, I can certainly recommend them. I have all 3 from Amazon on my Kindle. I have read the first 2 so far, and and really enjoying them.

If you like detective stories, the books by R.J. Jagger are good too. Not sure if they are on Audible, I have them on my Kindle.

I did not get many books from Audible so far. I like the downloaded OTR which I listen to when travelling, and still have about 300 Lone Ranger episodes to listen to!

I also go to the local library and borrow free audio books on CD, and copy them to MP3, then put them on the iPod.
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 05:15:38 PM »
I have read all three.  :TUP:  Very Good.
I see that now they are movies too (with english dubbing or english subtitles) available to rent from amazon.com

No books on Audible for Jagger.   :(  Will file in the PAPER list for future reference thanks!

I read many genres. Different authors...fantasy, drama, murder, mystery. Not a horror fan (one exception because it was more a drama than horror). Not a big romance reader either but will read some of Nora Roberts full novels. True crime is fun.  Didn't care for Baldacci novel...

Fav authors?   Oh my.... a few:  James Patterson, John Grisham, Johnathan and Faye Kellerman, Nora Roberts, JD Robb, Ann Rule, Piers Anthony on audible.  But lots more authors that are not available in audible, print only...

I have THOUSANDS of OTR episodes on my freeagent external drive.  :TUP:  I transfer some temporarily for listening on the go.

I have tried the cd to mp3 route for some of my books. Got a library card to do exactly this. But tedious and time consuming. The area that I will be accessing in the future does not have a decent catalog of audio content and does not link to larger cities to do so either.   :(

Back to subject...gotta find books to use my current credits before they expire in a couple weeks.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • INTP
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 04:57:59 PM »
A personal favourite: The French Mathematician, by Tom Petsinis.
The story of Evariste Galois, 19th century mathematician, caught between maths and politics, who died in a duel when he was 21. Told from his brainiac point of view. I'm a linguist but this made me fall in love with maths :)
"We live on the surface of a 4-dimensional doughnut." Marcus Du Sautoy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 05:21:25 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion!   I made a note about it.  Can't get it on audible, but I will look for it in book form.

Might I suggest one back for you?  It has a good synopsis on Amazon.com
     Here's Looking at Euclid: A Surprising Excursion Through the Astonishing World of Math  by Alex Bellos
This is the hardback I am reading right now.  Interesting stories...
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • INTP
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »
Oh, yes! Definitely will try this.
Euclid, the man who -among other things- proved there's an infinite number of primes :)
This book goes on my list, along with The Music of Primes, by Marcus Du Sautoy (I totally have a crush on this man ahahaha)
"We live on the surface of a 4-dimensional doughnut." Marcus Du Sautoy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 05:49:51 PM »
Ok...another for the paper list instead of the audible list.  

The synopis at amazon sounds like this is above my level!  But would like to find it in a store so I have a chance to really look through it.
His website is interesting....worth a bit of wandering time.

Quoted from that site:   The curious fact is that cicadas choose a prime number of year to stay hidden underground before they emerge for their six week party. Why primes?

It is believed there is a competitor – perhaps a poisonous fungus or parasite – that is deadly to the cicada. The competitor also emerges once every so many years. A prime life cycle for cicada guarantees that it will avoid the preditaor most often. In Nature we find the Magicicada septendecim (with a 17 year cycle) and the Magicicada tredecim (with a 13 year cycle).
:yuck: :yuck:  A long time ago I went on a special trip and played tourist to the Biltmore (famous castle-like home in North Carolina) and the cicadas were out!  All over my hair, sweater, everywhere!  And the sound they make is like machinery!  Only once in 17 years and I got THAT year to visit! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 05:03:22 PM »
A business novel for anyone:

The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement, by Eliyahu M. Goldratt and Jeff Cox.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 06:27:25 PM »
Gotta look for that one.  

My favorite business-related book is Who Moved My Cheese? An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life
My boss gave it to me and others in our department. Assimilate, move with changes..
As a management strategy, it backfired. I quit my job after reading this book!
Told him the parable in the book taught me that it might take a while, but I would find something tastier elsewhere (I did!).
He was sick about that!   :D    Best thing I ever did for myself!

UPDATE: great reviews, interesting history   :hapscream:  this one is on audible.com  :hapscream:    one credit used...will load it tonight.  
Thanks Ed!
 :thankyousign:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:17:00 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha