Author Topic: Technology bad mojo  (Read 2568 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Technology bad mojo
« on: May 11, 2013, 06:47:06 PM »
Been a bad technology week for me. 

- Computer issues
- backups that hit problems
- cell phone overheating, locking and shutting down (learning bad habits from my laptop)
- website move issues (the two hosts are being stubborn).  GoDaddy says I NEED or you don't get, and the other host says NO they do NOT NEED, and you can't have.... NEITHER will give in and I am the one that is hurting.
- website building and upload issues (different site)
- and other things like clocks that lose time, cords that come lose, interference on wifi, tv that lost channel settings, and lots of little stuff..

So far, my ipad is the only item that has not suffered this week.    :luck:   I'm applying the update today...wish me luck it goes well.... :luck:

Thank goodness the week is coming to an end.... :yes:
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
Re: Technology bad mojo
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 02:03:18 AM »
Maybe you need to go to a technology respite boot camp for a couple of weeks recovery and rehabilitation!

rofl

:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 05:51:43 PM »
 :D
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 12:16:20 AM »
My system has been so cranky.  Slow. locks up. Can't work with it.
Took 2+ minutes to open a window.  :v8slap: >:(

The windows system and all major programs and are up to date. No known bugs, infections. The main problem is that system is just too full to be effective.

Hard drive is 451GB.  And had 102GB free space.  And yet system was locking up. I have to have at least 120GB free to function decently.  That's HUGE space that I must leave unused in my computer.  I keep running out of space.

On several occasions I have pruned files, moved to backups. But that buys me only a few days before problems...

SO... for the last few days I have been removing files, uninstalled some programs, moved data.  Was up til 4am the last couple nights working on it... That got my system up to 138GB free.  Then ran IObit Smart Defrag 2 on "Defrag and fast optimize".  My free space is now 169GB!  Highest it's been in a couple years. 
:hapscream: :boogie: :kickdancing: :boogie: :kickdancing:

I have used that free defrag program (or previous versions) on my old XP computer and office machines but not on this Win 7 system.  Love the results.  Still so much better than built in windows defrag.  Would recommend it to anyone. 

Rebooted system and it loaded much better.  Windows open normally now.  :TUP:

I don't use registry cleaners, they can REALLY cause problems. So for now... I am done.  Now I can get back to what I wanted to get done earlier this week!

Running backup on C drive now....  :fiuu:  System and data safe for another few days.

I think I have a bad sound card (integrated) as the system sometimes just stops making sounds... then videos stop playing.  But that is a worry for another day....

-Samantha