Author Topic: page jumps from top to bottom  (Read 5548 times)

Offline hidden

• Restricted
page jumps from top to bottom
« on: November 11, 2007, 12:01:02 AM »
I am not sure if I am posting in the right section here.   :unsure:. Used to get great help through globalscape support, but today it would not open. So I signed up here...
I need help with two things on my web site which I built with CSB.
1)I noticed that some of my web pages, once I click on them, jump from top to bottom within seconds. Please see www.torontocounselling.com, the pages about chi vitalizing machine, about Ion Cell Cleanse Foot Bath, and the next two as well. These were recently aupdated. The untouched ones don't do it. I don't know how it got started, so don.t know how to solve it.
2) this has to do with screen resolution. Everything was fine until my partner looked at my web site on his lap top and it looked strange, the homepage squished to the left side etc. He suggested that I was using an out dated screen resolution and changed it on mine to be like his  his ( 1152 by 864 Pixels. Well, now my web site was also lob sided on my own computer. I then noticed that Sam uses a resolution 800 X 600 pixels, I changed mine to this, voila, all was back to how it was before. Question: what does the general public use? I don't want to spend all this time building a web site, thinking that everything is placed neatly on others' computers, when in fact it is not.... My partner suggested that I should not use tables to hold things in place so that things can adjust themselves for different screen resolutions; I am not sure this is the answer....
Your help will be  highly appreciated!
Do.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: page jumps from top to bottom
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 08:13:20 AM »
Used to get great help through globalscape support, but today it would not open. So I signed up here...

Same folks here so you are in good hands.  We opened this forum because GS promised to keep the other forum open until July of THIS year, with no promise past that point.  We are just making sure that our support system is intact in case they DO remove the forum from their site.  We also have the freedom/luxury of talking about non-GS software on this forum.

OK.  To your questions...Designing for multiple resolutions is a tricky topic.  Many points of view on this one.
But with CSB there are specific techniques I will mention to give you the best result possible.

Always design your page in the LOWEST RESOLUTION YOU WANT TO SUPPORT.
Decide what resolution is best for you, set YOUR resolution to that when you work in CSB.
In my case, I still use 800x600 for my lowest resolution because many offices still have older CRT monitors (big oldies, not the flat screen models), including my own!  And older eyes often require this setting to see the screen. So I set my HOME machine to 800x600 while using CSB.  I can see how much room on the page I can use for my display.  Publish.  Then check it online in both 800x600 and 1024x768 (my most used resolution). That is my BASE setting that I support.  Anyone that shrinks the page will get scroll bars.

You need to know YOUR visitors.  Who are they?  Young, hi-tech, using laptops?  Then design your site for them by setting your personal resolution to 1024x768 while building in CSB, etc. For MY site, this is now the most used setting.  If you design at this resolution and someone with 800x600 visits your site, they will get the nasty horizontal scroll bar on each page. There are scripts for stat sites that gather the resolution size of your visitors.  (I have tried a few, but they did not seem to work well for me so will not recommend one in particular). 

Your partner is using a relatively HIGH resolution 1152x864 for a BASE design. And that is not really a standard setting recognized by all monitors.  This would cause all users of CRT monitors, and 17" laptops using 1024x768 to get that bottom scroll bar. (Kinda like using websafe fonts, you should consider using one of the standard monitor settings that most monitors can accept: 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x720 for your base).  Your choice.  Your website.  Do what is best for YOUR site.

My partner suggested that I should not use tables to hold things in place so that things can adjust themselves for different screen resolutions
Generally, this is not a good idea for CSB users. People that have tried this on ALL TEXT pages are satisfied with results as the text shifts and still looks fine.  But most people have text and images on the page.   Images walk (move around the page) and the site does not retain a consistent look.  Most people do not like the way their pages appear at different resolutions using no tables and ask how to fix it!

With CSB, designing with tables is your best bet. Holds things in place, the way YOU design the page.
With older versions (CSB3 and CSB4) the recommendation is to have the table fixed to the LEFT of the screen for some designs or fixed to the CENTER of the window (like my SAMISITE HOME PAGE). 

However with the introduction of CSB5, GS gave us a WONDERFUL gift!  Tables that EXPAND to fit your page!This is the BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.  Holds your images in place like tables, but the text adjusts to fill the screen!  :boogie:  This would please your partner and you don't have to rebuild!

This is how:   (PLEASE VISIT THIS PAGE FOR DEMOS AND INSTRUCTIONS!)
You build normal tables on normal pages just as you have always done.
Be sure to set your monitor resolution to the lowest YOU want to support as mentioned above, and make the tables fit THAT screen fine with no horizonal scroll bars.  THEN you are ready for the REAL magic!  Changing ONE setting causes that table to EXPAND when a visitor has a higher resolution than how you built the table.  Right click the table, PROPERTIES, TABLE, SIZE AND ALIGNMENT TAB, Check the box for WIDTH PERCENT.  I tend to use 97% most. Leaves a bit of space to the right so the page is not crowded.

Change ONE table and check it.  See what you think.  Look at the page in your LOWEST resolution (base setting for the site). Then look at it again in a higher resolution.  The table stretches, your page adjusts and everyone is happy!  Best of all the images stay where you wanted.  I use this technique on lambert's home page: lambertusa.com  One large background image with a hidden table on top of it.  Table is set to stretch.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 12:12:35 PM »

Always design your page in the LOWEST RESOLUTION YOU WANT TO SUPPORT.

In my case, I still use 800x600 for my lowest resolution because many offices still have older CRT monitors (big oldies, not the flat screen models), including my own! 

Hi Sam,

Just to know if this suggestion is still valid one year after it was posted, I mean, should I design 800 x 600? on all my pages or just on home page? Taking in mind I don't know what my visitors use... 
I'm working CBS 4, so I don't have the expandable tables option of CSB 5, with a 17" standard monitor, and a 1024 x 768 res.

If yes, do you recommend to set the crt to 800 x 600 while designing?

Thanks

T
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 11:26:53 PM »
We still use 800x600 at work for special software and older eyes find 800x600 and 1024x768 easier to read.

1024x768 is more popular than 800x600 now. LCD monitors and laptops have forced the speed up of the resolution size.

But I still use 800x600 for design of some pages/sites.  My samisite.com home page shows that.  Centered tables that do not change size, even though I do have that ability in CSB 5.  I use the adjustable tables on other pages, but not on the home page on purpose since Samisite is not all about v5.  Samisite is designed around design...but lots of my visitors wait a LONG TIME to upgrade, even when they are given the opportunity to do so!  (sound familiar Mr. Version4?)

As always, you need to consider YOUR visitors.  If the visitors of your website are older with weaker eyes, or likely to have older equipment and not update often, you might still consider 800x600.  If the visitors of your website are more modern, then by all means, use a higher resolution and post a notice on the site best viewed at .... for anyone that has an older monitor.  They can view the site, but will need to scroll back and forth a bit to see it all. 

You know who purchases from you, who visit.  You may have statistics about your visitors (at host) that would help you decide. 

One site that I maintain was built with 1024x768 from day one because I knew the users were the type that would upgrade equipment!  Your call, your website.  I would probably choose 1024x768 for your site now without knowing the type of people that contact you...
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 06:23:59 AM »
We still use 800x600 at work for special software and older eyes find 800x600 and 1024x768 easier to read.

...  I would probably choose 1024x768 for your site now without knowing the type of people that contact you...

Since my site is a fishing/sporting site, it is visited by people of all ages, so I can only know the system resolution they use.
I recalled stats from my visitors counter of the last three months:

Yo were right with your thoughts, so I will definitely design for 1024 x 768

Thanks

T

P.S.
...but lots of my visitors wait a LONG TIME to upgrade...
I knew of adjustable tables on CSB 5 just two days ago, reading it on your Test Area 1...   :(
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 09:58:38 AM »
Quote from: Samrc on December 26, 2008, 11:26:53 PM
...but lots of my visitors wait a LONG TIME to upgrade...
I knew of adjustable tables on CSB 5 just two days ago, reading it on your Test Area 1...   

Go back to the emails I sent you when you first reported your problem. We discussed CSB 5 and the capabilities....  ;)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 10:23:32 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
Tony, just for interest, could you tell us the main countries your lures go to?

Sorry, a little bit  :offtopic:

Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 03:57:13 PM »
Sami:

"... "... CBS 5 gives you a few more features (best is code into the HEADER and the % tables).
Both would be handy for you..."

Sorry about that, in those days I was focused on how to recovering the data lost and may be for that reason I didn't pay too much attention to those sentences...  I couldn't imagine that we were talking about expandable tables...
You also gave me two links-addresses to read more about CBS5, but to say the truth, I didn't do it, I was worried about the problem I had at the moment. :(

Hi Rick,
Mostly, obviously, to Italy, second Spain (most to Canary Island  ??) Islas Canarias, and a few to France. I still having some fans from Venezuela, but they order only when some friend/relative comes to Europe to avoid transportation costs and loss.

T