Author Topic: First use of WYSIWYG...  (Read 9151 times)

Offline hidden

• Restricted
First use of WYSIWYG...
« on: April 04, 2007, 11:40:42 PM »
(Copy/Pasted from another forum)

Well so far, I've given WYSIWYG a try, and I am liking it a *lot*. I did a "Save background as..." for the images that I used for my Top menu bar, and my Left menu bar on all the pages I made with CSB. Then for kicks, uploaded them on my blank page in WYSIWYG in their respective positions, and lo and behold, it turns out almost identical to the way my other page looks that I made with CSB. Very happy about that.

Couple things I do notice about this program though:

1. Whenever I publish, I get little "Built with WYSIWYG Web Builder" icon on my page that I'm not too happy with. If I end up purchasing the product, does that icon cease to show up, whenever I publish with a full-blown purchased/registered WYSIWYG program? Another question on this line is, if I do go ahead and buy the program and register it and what-not, will I continue to be able to upgrade the program, as "Pablo Software Solutions" continues to release new versions of it?

2. Sometimes, my update will randomly time out, or get stuck uploading an image, and the update will fail. But then I'll try 'er again, and it turns out not-so-bad. Anyone else notice this? If so, does anyone see in big problems coming out of this?

3. If I end up using this program, and doing like samrc suggested and simply renaming these new pages I build with WYSIWYG stuff like, "id10.html", "id27.html", etc. etc., what about the files that were made by CSB that ahve a "_m.html" and "_l.html", and all that jazz? what should I do with those files? Should I just make duplicate/ or triplicate files with WYSIWYG, and name them, like, "index.html", "index_m.html", "index_l.html", and overwrite all those CSB pages that are named the same thing? Then do that for all pages (not just "index")?

I could not try SiteSpinner for some reason. I went to Virtual Mechanics' website, and tried to download the program, but the installation file gave me a message that sounded like my installation file couldn't connect to their database, or something. I tried downloading it from http://www.download.com , but the pop-up window it brings up to download the program from never loaded, so I never even ended up getting the installation file from there. Any ideas?

--etcbbu

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Re: First use of WYSIWYG...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 12:35:58 AM »
Hi -

Question 1 - Yes the button is removable when you purchase - part two  I don't know, they might say on the web site or you could ask in their forum.

Question 2. I haven't had that problem.

Question 3. Since this won't recognize and either eliminate or replace the existing components but will rather overwrite the entire page that will appear at that address you should go remove the old site from your host before you publish if you are going to publish in whole or the parts to the the relative pages if you are integrating. I don't think it hurts anything but they will still be on your site and might be otherwise accesses accidentally by a browser for some reason. Plus at that point they are just taking up space.

I also really like the program and have been working with it along with Site Spinner on my remake trying to decide which way I will fully go. They both have some features and pluses the other doesn't and it is helping me to see which one will have the most and easiest features for what I want to to on this project. I will probably buy this software if not now then later for another project.

I don't know about Site Spinner - maybe they were just having a problem at that time. Mine downloaded right away. If it doesn't work again try the forum they will answer your questions quickly and are nice there too.

:)

Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 09:44:01 AM »
3. If I end up using this program, and doing like samrc suggested and simply renaming these new pages I build with WYSIWYG stuff like, "id10.html", "id27.html", etc. etc., what about the files that were made by CSB that ahve a "_m.html" and "_l.html", and all that jazz? what should I do with those files? Should I just make duplicate/ or triplicate files with WYSIWYG, and name them, like, "index.html", "index_m.html", "index_l.html", and overwrite all those CSB pages that are named the same thing? Then do that for all pages (not just "index")?

The multi pages like that are caused by having FRAMED web pages.
If you have an index.htm page where the top and left border are fixed in place, scrolling only the middle page body, CSB creates 4 htm pages that combine in the code:  the MASTER PAGE with all contents is index.htm, but then you have individual FRAMES: index_t.htm, index_l.htm and index_m.htm also.  Some web builders do not include all the data necessary in the MASTER page and the search engines will cut ranking on those pages.  CSB is treated WELL for framed pages.  Read more about the CSB frames structure here.    Read more about search engines and framed pages here.

If you replace the index.htm with a page from another builder, and all the content is stored in the other builder, you will not need the other framed htm pages.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 01:19:18 PM »
Okay, thanks for the replies.

So, let me explain my fear. For every page on my website that I have created with CSB, including the homepage (which is "index.htm" in my case), I have

<pagename>.htm
<pagename>_t.html
<pagename>_l.htm
<pagename>_m.htm

Now, bring to mind just a random page of mine, and I'll call it <pagename>.htm. So, my question is, if I was to remake this page in WYSIWYG, and I just have, for instance

<pagename>.htm

I know that if I name it the same, like this, it will take the place of the previous <pagename>.htm page that I have had uploaded with CSB. But my question is, even though THAT new page may be all well and good, and still accessible from search engines and whatnot, and still be the same page as before, and work right and stuff--what about the stuff that will still be

<pagename>_t.htm
<pagename>_l.htm
<pagename>_m.htm

from CSB, that will still be up? If I simply DELETE the t, l, and m versions of this page, will everything be hunky-dory, since the <pagename.htm> is the "master" that contained the t, l, and m pages? Does this question make sense? I can make it more clear, if necessary.

Second (minor) question:

My pages on my website NOW are all .htm , and my test page I made with WYSIWYG is .html ...this presents a problem, unless I can create/upload .htm (not .html) files in WYSIWYG, to replace my files that are .htm from CSB. What should I do?

Thanks for reading.

--etcbbu

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 03:41:09 PM »
When you REMOVE the pagename.htm page from the CSB design file, CSB will REMOVE the pagename.htm and all the other _t, _l, _m, etc. files when you publish/update the next time with CSB!  Then you can put the NEW pagename.htm up with your new software. From that point CSB will not see the pagename.htm file! All other CSB pages will be intact and you can still publish changes to those pages if needed as you build new ones.

NOTE: Whenever you remove pages from the tlx design file, after deleting pages from your tlx design file, you should always FILE SAVE AS to give the file a new name.  This process compacts and cleans the file, while keeping the original file intact.

In the NEW web software you are trying/testing, you will have the option of setting your default file extension.  Change that default to .htm instead of html. Then all pages will publish with an .htm extension from that point on.  And you probably have the option to change individual pages to .php or shtml, etc when needed (We can in CSB). If you CAN NOT change the individual page extensions, that WILL BE a problem down the line.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 06:42:54 PM »
Hiya - I looked up extension in the help file and it says normally it is in html and it might be neccessary to change the extension. I looked over the area to enter such information and I am supposing you just indicate it in the file url that you are publishing to. Give it a try to a sub directory and see what happens. That is odd nto to offer a simple way to check the extension - but maybe they figure it is simple enough to write it in..

That might be found on their forum or asked there if it doesn't work.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 02:02:35 AM »
Basic site management: http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/site_manager.html

From the support forum:

While building your web site, Web Builder saves the project file with the .wbs extension. This is a project file used by Web Builder to simplify the building process.

One project file can contain multiple web pages. Once your pages are ready you must export or publish them as HTML.
(more details: http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32)

The name of the output HTML file is taken from the name you've specified in the Site Manager.

So if you've named the page index then the output file will be called index.html. If the page needs another extension like .php, you can configure this in the Page Properties.

Here are a some guidelines how to name your web pages:

1. Do not add .html or .htm extension to the page name.

Web Builder will automatically add the .html extension (or .php, .asp) when it publishes (or exports) the HTML code.

2. Always name your homepage: "index", this is the most common name for a homepage.

3. Always use lowercase filenames, most webservers are case sensitive and might fail to find your page if you have called it "Index" or "INDEX"

4. Do not use space or other special characters in the name, keep them simple like:
"page1"
or
"my_products"

5. Use underscores to connect words.

SO.... This particular web tool does not allow you to change the default setting.  Default in this software is .html and will stay .html unless you alter EACH PAGE individually in the Page Properties.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 05:52:26 PM »
That is how I interpreted it too Sam - although it isn't worded very clearly. (To me) I also have htm pages. That and a few other things that should be so easy that aren't - are making me so far think I will stay with Site Spinner for the site rebuild. For example, making link preferences not be underlined is a lengthy process when it could be a one click option.

It does make some things easier however that could be lengthier in Site Spinner but I think for the more business areas I won't need many of those things anyway and the elements that occur page after page are what I would rather have be easier and quicker to perform.

Still I haven't made up my mind. I am playing with it and comparing - I haven't published a page yet just previewed and so I haven't seen how it loads. I am going to build my index page in both when I have really decided its features and see what happens - by then I should have ran into several key functions and experienced the ease or difficulty of working with them.

I also believe this software might work great for other types of sites and possibly for some sub folders that will be more artistic and less business for me. It's an interesting comparison as they are so similar in some ways and yet NOT at all in others.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 08:14:51 PM »
I really like that in CSB I have control over the Default page name AND individual page names, very fast and easily.
Seems like a major oversite for WYSIWYG... :(
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 08:19:51 PM »
Yeah  :agree: And it could be a time consuming issue - If you have html pages it wouldn't seem like a problem at all  - unless you change to a new server where your pages are htm then you would have to go back and change every page extension.

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 01:57:13 PM »
Ok, so you do not have control over individual page names in WYSIWYG? So in that case, I cannot rebuild my pages identically to how I had them with CSB, then upload them to replace the pages I had with CSB? Because I mean, I would need to be able to make pages' names be "id<suchandsuch>.htm", right? But y'all are saying one does not have control over that?

--etcbbu

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 04:13:18 PM »
Hi no you can but page by page in the page properties area- if we are understanding that right. Why not try publishing a page to a sub directory and not giving it an htm extension and if it doesn't show up right try giving it one in the page properties area.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 05:32:59 PM »
YES YOU CAN name the page anything you want.   From my earlier post:

The name of the output HTML file is taken from the name you've specified in the Site Manager.

So if you've named the page index then the output file will be called index.html. If the page needs another extension like .php, you can configure this in the Page Properties.

Here are a some guidelines how to name your web pages:

1. Do not add .html or .htm extension to the page name.

Web Builder will automatically add the .html extension (or .php, .asp) when it publishes (or exports) the HTML code.

What you can NOT do is specify that you want all your pages to become .htm pages by default.
By default, WYSIWYG will automatically put .html behind your page name.

If you are using .htm like most of the CSB community (ex: id12.htm), then in EACH PAGE, you will need to assign .htm in the PAGE PROPERTIES.  If you forget to manually assign .htm to your page, then that page will load as .html and break your links. 

WYSIWYG requires the same change to each page.  If you have 20 pages, and you want ALL of them to have .htm extension, you will need to set the setting 20 times in WYSIWYG. 

With CSB, we can tell it that we want our pages should come out as .html or .htm, etc by default.   One change will impact most if not all pages at one time.  Then if we NEED to publish a page as .php, .asp, etc, we can manually adjust it in page properties for just that page.  So in this way, CSB is actually more flexible.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 05:49:16 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 12:56:55 PM »
Ok, I understand. That's why I was confused, because I already have made a subdirectory, and re-created a page, and changed it to .htm, and it came out great. That's why I was thinking, "What do they mean?" witht h elast stuff you posted. But I understand now. Thanks.

--etcbbu

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 06:50:01 PM »
Hi etcbbu - thats cool - so please can you tell me then did you just indicate the name of the file location like

index.htm    to make that extension work?     is that how you insert the choice of extension:? I looked at the page properties and never quite figured that part out as I didn't see a place to actually indicate the extension.

Thanks.