Author Topic: deleted cutesitebuilder files  (Read 4961 times)

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
deleted cutesitebuilder files
« on: September 18, 2008, 03:39:03 AM »
I have been doing some computer work at my friends and I have two questions that someone might be able to answer. First, my friend's computer has slowed to a crawl when she is doing any work with her laptop. I think the reason for this is because she bought a 300 gig external hard drive to connect to her laptop to back up many of her files. I am thinking that if this external hard drive is connected to her laptop when she is working on her computer it slows it down. I am guessing her laptop doesn't have enough memory and processing speed to work with the extra 300 gigs on a continuing basis. What do you think?
     And the second question is ... she deleted her cutesitebuilder files. Is it possible that she might be able to recover them from her host?

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Re: deleted cutesitebuilder files
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 05:33:36 PM »
It is possible but she might have other issues and should check her registry, run virus scans, do a check drive maintenance and any other maintenances including compression to be sure. If she unhooks that drive does it go back to working ok? And she can recover the cute files but not in a workable form. In other words you can't open html pages with cute and work on them unfortunately. Did she by any chance back up her files anywhere else?
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:11:10 AM »
I have run registry check, virus scan, spyware, check drive, compressed her hard drive, etc...I think when she unhooks her drive it should run faster...but I had to leave just before I finished. So I will contact her tomorrow to see how things are going. And the second subject... in what form can she recover her files? And how would she do this? If see can just see her files she can at least start over again without start from nothing...thanks for your response, Tom

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
To find files: Check the recycle bin and RESTORE any files you need (if you have not purged the recyle bin).

When you say she "deleted her cutesite builder files".... That has different meanings to different people.

1) If she deleted PROGRAM files, she can redownload the program from GlobalSCAPE (make sure to get the same version as she had before) and reinstall it fully.  If the registry has been cleaned AFTER removing part of the program you MAY have deleted the settings CSB uses to publish the web sites! Those settings are stored in the registry.
This is where you can find the settings.  If you can not find them, then you will have to reinput the info into the CSB program after you reinstall.
Go into your WINDOWS REGISTRY FILES go to start > run > regedit
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GlobalSCAPE\CuteSITE Builder 3.0\WPProviders\OtherHost

2) If she deleted the TLX design files she is up the creek without a paddle.
PLEASE TELL ME that you have
- an earlier copy of the file?
- a backup copy made before you started making changes?
- a copy stored on a cd?
- did you send your tlx file to the website for storage (part of the publishing process in CSB 4 or 5 if you check that option)?
- the file on a usb stick?
- the file on another computer?
- or send it to anyone for backup or testing?

If not, you have lost your pages and will have to rebuild them.  Easiest way is to copy and paste content actual text, images, etc. (not the source code) from your existing site to the new pages.  Make sure you name the pages the SAME as the existing site for continuity and search engines.

WARNING:
- Go into your website on the web and make a backup copy of ALL files, photos, folders, etc. Everything as it is today. Use FTP software or backup option in your control panel to make a full copy of all content.
- If you republish a partial re-do of the site it will overwrite everything now online and may take the pages you deleted OFF your website so do not republish that file until you have everything rebuilt!

----------
Making backups:
JUST DO IT!  Programs can be reinstalled manually, settings can be put back in but if you lose data files you are sunk. 

I use FILE SAVE AS every time I open a file.  Save the file with a new name that includes the date for easiest reference and the files stay in date order too!   
Example: open main010108  FILE SAVE AS main010208.  The next save as: main010308. Subdirectory examples:  vacation070107, photos070107 etc.To keep the order correct, use a 6 (010103) or 8 (01012003) digit number - don't use 1-1-03 Simple. Fast. Easy. SAFE backup.  The publishing information remains the same and is undisturbed. The previous day's file still exists so you can come back to it if necessary and this process creates an  unlimited number of backup copies you can delete or archive the old ones as you see fit, or have a record of how your site has progressed.

Once a week/month (depending on how many changes I have made) I copy my tlx design files onto CD or DVD for archive.

Then delete the oldest versions from my desktop computer to save space.

If my hard drive fails, I can go back to one on my cd, even if it is older, at least ALL my work is not lost...
(I use this file save as for some excel and other files too that I might need to go back to previous versions at some point, especially when I make BIG changes...just in case I goof something up!)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 03:00:50 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 02:57:57 PM »
Also as to the running slowly.... ASSUMING you have no infections, viruses, trojans, backdoors open, etc....

Is all her RAM reading?  If she has 2 sticks, one may have gone bad and you are working on half the ram. 
Right click MY COMPUTER, PROPERTIES.
How much RAM is displayed.  If she has 512MB and only 256 is showing you know you need to turn off the machine, open it, and try to "re-seat" the memory sticks.  Sometimes taking them out and putting them back in works. Sometimes you have to replace a stick.  DO WITH CAUTION AND AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! You need to be grounded and not cause static when you work in the box or you could short out the system.

Take control of your startup. You may have too many programs running in the background, taking all your system resources.  Do you NEED all your programs to start when you start the machine?  Some can be safely turned off and not used until you need the program. Ex: I have one photo program (by adobe) that insists on starting when I boot up.  Sometimes I use that software only 2 times a month. Let ME decide when to start the program.  Another program for one of my printers (a lexmark) always wants to start up when the computer does. It is not my primary printer and need it sporadically. Let ME decide when to active my Lexmark interface.

Consider upgrading RAM. Cheapest upgrade possible and makes ANY machine run faster!
Go to crucial.com from the machine in question.
Allow it to test your memory and recommend and option for you (especially good if you have a standard unit from dell, gateway and tons of manufacturers).  If it was made with parts from different places you might have to work a bit more to figure out what is needed.

If you are running GOOGLE DESKTOP, turn it off. It will try to index that drive everytime she connects and can slow down some machines.

and more ideas but no more time......
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 01:50:35 PM »
Thanks Sami, I don't think my friend backed up her files...we are sunk. I will check with her tonight...

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 04:55:50 AM »
I am just thinking how many times we have read no back ups on files... and how sad it always is to think about the amount of work that gets lost. E1 please remember to BACK UP all important files. It is so easy to do - even if its just a rename after each session at the least. But the sticks are so inexpensive to buy and easy to use. I keep a couple of back ups going on those at all times for everything of any importance.

Good luck. I am sorry to hear this may be the case.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment