Author Topic: ipod ITOUCH / IPHONE  (Read 25150 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: ipod ITOUCH / IPHONE
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2009, 01:33:56 PM »
No had not heard of it.  Will check it out.

I have non-protected copies of the protected music from both WMP and Itunes so it can be played in either and on any little player. Really RESENT buying music legally and yet do not have the right to play it on MY own portable technology! Used to have to burn a cd, then reimport the music as unprotected. For the last two years, I have used a little program noteburner to convert my protected to unprotected by burning the music to a virtual CD. One step and ALL the music is compatible without wasting real CDs! Simple, elegant solution.  Itunes now offers non-protected formats, but even when you sign up for that, some items still come in as protected.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2009, 08:34:14 AM »
I've heard of this but do not really know what the difference between protected and unprotected is. If it refers to copyright, all my CD's are copyright protected as far as I know but can be ripped to my hard disk with WMP and then sync'd to any of my WM devices. In fact I've been doing it for years and have been told it is perfectly legal. The problem is when copies are made for resale which is of course illegal. The first thing I do when I buy a CD is rip it to my HD and I haven't listened to a CD in a CD player, except in my car, for a few years now.

Sami, your headphones look similar to mine, Sennheiser CX, in-the-ear type. Did you know there is mounting evidence that the in-the-ear type, although providing a better listening experience because they block-out more noise, are damaging the hearing of more and more people. My excuse is, life is too short!
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2009, 10:28:20 AM »
Copyright protection on music....
WMP does rip CDs and have done that with equal success to yours.  But the problem comes in when you buy&download music from iTunes and other legit sources, they would lock the music.  You could play it on the machine that you bought it on and transfer to some players but not all.  The music remained locked. To transfer it to another computer, you had to transfer the licenses too. You were also limited how many times you burned a playlist. I wanted to play the music I bought on my equipment and the protection would not allow the music to play.  Format was not supported without the license.  Some people also had problems moving files from one pc to another.  Sometimes the license file would get screwed up and then you had music files that were worthless.  Iunderstand that the music companies were trying to stop fraud, multiple reproduction of copyrighted material. But it really ended up hurting and interfering with legit consumers like me.  I was not using an IPOD brand mp3 player and it interfered with their protection.  My unit plays regular mp3 files but will not play protected mp3 file.  I have some that only play with WMP and some that play on iTunes.  After converting them using my virtual cd, I can play on iPod, mp3 player, cd player and my laptop and pc, as it should be!

The problem with any headphone in and out of ear: volume.  Many of the kids that use them set high bass and high volume.  They also drive around in cars with music so loud it buzzes my teeth in the next car. My little player can take volume to 30.  I have it set on 6 or 7 most of the time.  And more often than not, I have only one ear covered.  When both are listening, I have volume usually down to 5.  My ears are extremely sensitive and they will remain that  way going into my old age if I have anything to do with it.  :)

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2009, 11:29:54 AM »
Thanks for the explanation. Now I understand. It's like some of my Audible downloads that can't be copied. I only use iTunes for newscasts which are free and probably not protected. I've never downloaded music, so it must be some type of technology that protects it. I've always preferred to have the original CD in-case something goes wrong with my PC. I still have a few LP's which I want to copy to CD one day but need to get the gear to do it.

By the way, I discovered the new iPhone called 'iPhone 3G s" has got a faster processor allowing its software to run quicker and reports say that its a pleasure to use due to the faster response time. Reports here are very encouraging. A friend who knows all about mobile phones said I should stay away from the two HTC WM phones, particularly the TYTN II, and the Diamond, both of which looked as interesting alternatives.

There is a software program called Ziepod from h**p://www.ziemantics.com. I've looked at it on a friends machine but not used it. He said it works great for podcasts.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2009, 12:30:21 PM »
I have copied my audible aa files to an external backup drive.  Without the right authorization (audible player with license) those files would not play for someone else.  Similar technology but much easier to work with.  Audible files have similar protection but do not max out how many times and ways you can transfer the files.  I have a couple favorite books that I have put on multiple devices and cd.  All mine, all legit and no limitation.  mp3 licensing was worse by far. Really nasty stuff. And it did not stop people from sharing files after converting to unprotected versions.  Not even a bump in the road for people that steal, but a real headache for honest folks!  

I also prefer CDs and have converted many of them into mp3. Have some cassettes & LPs that will never be put on cd or download and would like to convert them eventually. I used to book bands for our college and have many first/demo albums with some fun music.  Sometimes I buy individual songs from iTunes...ex a song from a movie soundtrack and I don't want the whole cd. Have also bought David Cook's AmIdol performances (not available on cd).    

iPhone 3GS...my boss just turned in his new iPhone to upgrade to that one. Had the other for less than 2 weeks and turned it in! He says it much faster.  I dunno anything about current HTC phones.  But as I said before, if sprint offered iPhones and could afford the plan, I would get that.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2009, 05:45:07 PM »
I guess we are lucky in Australia - iPhone is available from all the major carriers (about 6), so we have lots of choice in that respect, and there is a lot of competition - but the eprice is still high, especially for data plans. I mostly only use my iPhone for data when connected to a wifi hotspot, not with the 3G connection.
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2009, 09:05:07 AM »
In USA, AT&T has the monopoly on the Iphone. Only carrier that is allowed to offer it.  Think I read somewhere that deal will end next year and other carriers will finally be able to get on board.

Personally, I wish I had a MIFI.  Pretty fabulous device.  I could get online anywhere with my itouch, ds, laptop, phone, you name it!  Tempting, but the monthly cost is too rich for me....  :verysad:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2009, 10:44:37 AM »
I have another concern about the iPhone 3Gs. Do you know if it will sync all the fields in Outlook Contacts including e.g. Company Phone 2, Home Phone 2, Spouse, Notes, etc. I've been told that iPhone does not sync these fields but can't find it in the iPhone documentation web site.

What are the monthly costs? My SP offers the MiFi on a 24 month contract for $75/m which includes 500MB on HSDPA, or you can buy it for $350 for the 5 user version.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 12:56:12 PM by Ed »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2009, 04:07:31 PM »
contacts have these

phone numbers:
 mobile, iphone, home, work, main, home fax, work fax, pager, other
email:
 home, work, other
URL:  
 home page, home, work, other
Address:
 street1, street2, city, state, zip, country, home, work, other

Can add custom fields under phone numbers, email, url, address and other.

Itunes syncs with regular Outlook but not BCM (business contact manager).
You can also import all your contact info using csv file.

mifi is a $300 unit which is on sale for $99 with 2yr new contract for data connection @60/mo for 5GB/mo transfer! (Sprint and Verizon). Still too pricey for me.  
Verizon also offers a limited connection (250mb/mo) for $40/mo with one or two year commitment. (like the shorter commitment!).   One thing that may be a good idea...could use the mifi in place of cable connection at home...one charge for $60/mo that can be used in the home or traveling! One bill, two uses.... Neat little device...will think about it!

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2009, 07:47:02 AM »
Outlook 2003 has approximately 140 default contact fields. I don't know about BCM as I decided not to use it. Some are just flags that can be selected and do not contain data but the majority are data fields. Windows Mobile 6.0 Pro syncs about 60 of these fields so it does not sync all of them. Several years ago I was a Palm fan but Windows CE, although less stable than the Palm OS, was so much more powerful that I migrated across.

Thanks for the info on the fields.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2009, 10:28:04 AM »
Found a lovely site that discusses the contact fields, palm, wm6 and iphone.
Take a look here:  http://www.realtown.com/larry2/blog/what-fields-in-outlook-sync-to-your-phone
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2009, 03:00:18 PM »
Good find! Good article!

There a lot more going on behind the scenes during a sync than meets the eye.

Thanks

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2009, 04:40:16 AM »
Sami,

I was re-reading your post about your iRiver's. Can it play Audible's book format 'AA' and sync with Audible's manager?

On Saturday I was told to turn my Windows Mobile Samsung i780 completely off on a flight on Saturday even though the incorporated phone (as well as the WiFi, Bluetooth, & GPS) was turned off. This renders the device as completely useless, however MP3 players are permitted after takeoff and before landing. The reason I was given by the air hostess was, "the manufacturers can not guarantee us (the airline) that devices would not interfere with the airplanes instruments when the device is on, even though the phone is off or in flight-mode".
:fly:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2009, 09:24:11 AM »
I know exactly what you mean. My smart phone has audible built in and yes, if I had depended on it during flight, I would have been out of luck too.
But was allowed to use my tiny mp3 player with no problem.

Yes.  Both my iriver units T30 and T60 work beautifully with Audible.  Audible is the primary purpose for my players. I like my music too, but most often am listening to a story. Note that T30 (1gig red) is listed as supported and T60 (2 or 4 gig) is not mentioned. Works perfectly with audible manager. Read this thread on another forum that convinced me it was safe to purchase.
(A couple times I have had to resync T60 with my computer because I had the unit in LOCKED mode when I changed the battery  :banghead:.  This causes the unit to drop authorization to play the files.  Just resync and back in business. Simple to avoid this problem, but sometimes I get a brain fart.  :-[)  

IRiver has lovely units with EXCELLENT quality sound (much better than most mp3 players).  Some play videos (wasn't interested in that).
I chose the the products I did (T30 and T60) for the following reasons:
- uses AAA battery (didn't have to be around a PC to charge)  Only a few units use batteries, most have rechargeable cells like ipods. I WANTED AAA battery. This was most important to me. Some people want to avoid this.  Personal choice.
- decent battery life.  Energizer lithium is best in the unit.
- lightweight (wanted to wear them)
- skin (protective silicone shell was available...I am a klutz)
- storage space was not an issue for me. If it was, neither of my units would have fit the bill. Even though my tiny unit only has 2gig, I have 3 audible books on my T60 right now, plus music, plus some old radio shows.  This is PLENTY for my needs. Days of listening.  My coworker went with different brand because she wanted 80gig.  Again, personal choice.
- cost (not a huge deal but pleasant because I was able to get good deals on my units). Audible often runs specials to get people to sign up for memberships.  
- radio (the T60 has an FM radio in it. Poor quality reception in many areas, but comes in handy sometimes). Was not important to me.

I got my first iriver player from Amazon.com because they had a partnership with Audible that gave me a HUGE discount on both the player and the membership when purchased within 24 hours of each other. They offered several different kinds, manufacturers, but all with the lovely discounts.  Been an addict ever since.

I like my T60 so much that I went to ebay and got a second one for $50.  Found the silicone shell for $20 and they are put away for "just in case" my current one dies, gets broken or lost.  Have used my T60 for 2 years and still operates perfectly.  Suits my needs very well.

Have noticed a change at AUDIBLE in the last few months.  Now everytime I download my AA files, it downloads, then goes through an IMPORT into Windows Media player. Doubles my download time but can't seem to stop that process.  I never use Windows Media Player to play or move my files. I use audible manager for my books and drag and drop other files to the unit with Windows Explorer. So the extra step that Audible goes through is wasted for me but might be quite handy for others.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:33:48 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2009, 02:13:41 PM »
That's good to know. I also prefer a AAA battery instead of recharging for sometimes 2 hours of more. Regarding the iPhone which is on back order for 3 weeks now, I guess it is would also be blocked by the airlines, although I have seen people using the previous version iPhones during flights several times. Anyway, I don't want to cause an accident, so will look for an MP3 player. Just looked at the iRiver web site again. Cool stuff!

I don't have that problem with Windows Media Player now, as I also use the Audible Manager, but do remember that originally years ago I did install an Audible add on for WMP and had to uninstall it due to problems. Maybe something similar installed itself on your system and can be removed via Control Panels Add/Remove software in Windows XP.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2009, 11:48:12 PM »
I will check for a plugin as you suggest when I am back at my PC. (Using my laptop now)
May be specific setting in WMP or version of Audible software I am using too...

I have the itouch and could put my audibles on that unit but my battery life on the itouch sucks so am not tempted to use that piece for my books. I can get 18-20 hours of staight listening on a battery. If I start/stop a LOT it will drain a bit faster but still MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the itouch!!!!!

Of course when I wear my iRiver T60 into a store (grocery shopping, etc) I am constantly " What is that around your neck?". It is rare to see someone with iRiver around here. More in England and Europe I think. Definitely not well known brand here. NONE of their products are in our local stores! Big stores carry Creative Zen, Microsoft Zune, San Disk, and Apple brands.  Orlando is an international destination (thanks to Disney World and other theme parks) so we usually have international products available to us but not iRiver so far.  I took a chance online and this time it worked out well.

Down the road, I would consider iRiver product again based on my own very positive experiences. Between the two MP3 models and the iRiver FM Transmitter in my auto (plugs into cigarette lighter and mp3 player as headphone so I can listen to my books through the car speakers while driving. I plug my itouch into it too to sometimes.  When I bought my iRiver units, there were few choices that were BOTH AAA and Audible. At that time, iRiver had great reviews vs the competition. Have been pleased with my choices. Definitely gotten my money out of them!  Don't know what the CURRENT choices are and whether iRiver should still be considered for you.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2009, 03:18:48 AM »
Sami, I have a recharging battery for my iphone/iPod. Found it in China. You just charge it in the same way as iPhone/iPod (same charger, USB), then when you need to recharge your iPhone, just plug this battery into the normal socket on the base of the iPhone. It has the same profile as iPhone, so just looks like an extended iPhone. This battery fully recharges the internal battery in a short time. I have several of them so rarely run out of battery, and don't have the expense of throw-away batteries. I also have a little solar charger (about cigarette box size) which can recharge those batteries.

Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2009, 07:41:17 AM »
Hi Sami,

I've been doing some searching and the triangular Irivers (with AAA batteries) are off the market so keep them precious as they are not available any longer. There is a new T7 (only avail with rechargeable battery) but some reviews are very negative about it saying that it is slow to react and one can't find the buttons in the dark (no good for a night flight) as they are level with the surface and not illuminated.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2009, 08:45:48 AM »
Sorry to hear.  Love my little toys.

Would you like my "spare" T60 and silicone cover?  Neither have been used.  I could set up the T60 to work with audible for you.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2009, 04:50:37 AM »
Sami,

You are too kind, but yesterday ordered a Sony that is on sale. Thanks a million for your offer! :flowers: It does not have a AAA battery but will let you know how it works when I receive it later today.

BTW, Steve Jobs from Apple announced yesterday that prices are being slashed by $20 across their range and new features are being introduced in the iPods which includes a video camera.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2009, 09:25:10 AM »
I am sure you will like your Sony.  Hope the battery lasts long time for you.

I really like my ipod itouch and have become an ipod fan. But not a fanatic...the battery life SUCKS and could be much better. Serious flaw in my opinion.  From what I understand the iphone has better battery life.

I just read about Steve Jobs liver transplant.  Me moved to the head of the line quickly.  The folks that make the decision must use apple products.  ;)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2009, 08:45:26 AM »
Hi Sami,

Received the Sony Walkman. It looks like a USB memory stick (2GB) and has 2 charging modes: High Bus (500mA) gives you 90 minutes for a 3 minute charge (really fast) but if you leave it longer it charges fully in about an hour for a claimed 18 hours playing time in super power saver mode. Alternatively, Low Bus (100mA) mode charges slowly and one can leave it plugged in the whole day. Operation is really simple and the tiny screen has excellent graphics. My stuff is usually MP3 256kbps. When syncing with WMP, WMP converts to WMA @ 192kbps automatically and then transfers the data to the Walkman but I don't know why as the specs say it can play MP3 up to 320kbps. The transfer is at lightning speed, well almost. Audible is not compatible unless one converts to mp3. One can't add book marks but it remembers where the track was stopped provided you don't switch off completely. It has a FM radio with fantastic reception and one programs can be recorded (very good) as well as voice (not so good). The earphones that came with it are reasonably good quality but they are rather small and don't have any grip, cover, or hook ability so they fall out easily.

Maybe an iPod or a Mac found its way to the decisions makers. Just kidding!