Author Topic: linking without showing the address (Hello Everyone , I have cute site help pleaseeeeeeeeeee..)  (Read 7000 times)

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
I need some help here .
Where I build Layouts for myspace I want to set up my host site to have the pictures of the layouts on one page then a small link under that to go get the html code they will need to post the layout into their myspace . So I guess my question would be how do I set up a page to do this without the link showing with the links I want them to see ? Does this at all make sense?
Please help ..
Dragon Star ???

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
how do I set up a page to do this without the link showing with the links I want them to see ?

I don't understand this - without the links showing (what kind of links or to what) with the links I want them to see
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
Ok you know how you have your main links like home , Layouts , About us ? Well what I want is to add a page that holds my layout codes when people click a link under my layout pics that says get code here that takes you to that page I guess it would be called a container page .. I am sorry if I am confusing you sometimes I confuse myself . I know what I am thinking but sometimes can't find the right words to put down for others to understand ..

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Do you mean you want an anchor or hyperlink that hides the URL but shows the link so it can be clicked?

Just select the text or image, then depending on your software, insert an anchor and hyperlink it with the URL to the page or target.

If you are using CSB (please let us know which software you are referring to), see SamiSite for useful information on how to use anchors.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
 :welsign: Glad you decided to join our group!

Mary is using CSB 4.  h**p://www.dragonstarlayouts.net/id24.htm and recently joined the GS forum for CSB too.  I am moving this thread under CSB general questions for better organization.

Please clarify so we can assist...

1. Do you want to have a thumbnail image that you you click then a page opens with a design? 
2. Is the design an IMAGE of a design, or an HTML page built in other software?

How do I set up a page to do this without the link showing with the links I want them to see ?
Standard Links: When you hover over a link with your mouse you can see an address, and even in the bottom left corner (on the status bar) you can see the destination of the link. When you click a link, the address appears in the Address bar at the top of the page.

3. How secure do you need this hidden address to be?  If the visitor could look up the address in the web page source code, is that ok, or not? (Many visitors do not even know how to do that).
4. You do not want to show the address of the design. Would you mind using a POPUP window with the ADDRESS Bar disabled?
5. Are you selling designs that require you to HIDE the address of the design completely?

« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:46:18 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
No I am not selling anything it is Myspace layouts I just enjoy making them .. Ok here is the link of what I have up now http://www.dragonstarlayouts.net/id24.htm  ok I have the picture and the code together .. Thing is I want to design another site but different where the code and layout are not in the same place like in the old site ..
And would you guys let me know if I could have done something different to make this set up look better..
See what I was saying I want to link the pic to just go to a hidden link so they can grab the html code but I think I have it though ..
Sorry I didn't answer sooner I have been so busy ..
All your inputs mean so much to me cause you guys are so good at what you do ..

Hugs ,
Dragon Star

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
I looked at your site, and I'm not sure if this will help or not as it's not quite the same thing, but you could take a look at my *sigh* CSB web design collection (I miss making them, but there doesn't seem much point now):
http://www.afewwordsabout.us/webdesigns.htm

The thumbnails on that page are just links, and they're there simply so people can decide what designs to look at. But if you click on a thumbnail, or on the name of a design, you'll go to the home page of a subdirectory that's built as a mock-up showing the various page layouts (text, arrow navigation, etc.) made using that design. The "business end" links are on that page and they all use CSB's Insert>file download link to link to the .tld and .bmp files someone would actually have to download to use the design (the equivalent of your html code). I've used text for the links, but you can make an image your link if you want.

With a lot of file downloads in one .tlx file, such as on your site, the usual advice is to upload the files to your server using FTP instead of CSB's built-in file download links, but the idea is still the same: you link to the file that's on your server and someone would download the code rather than copy it. You could make the thumbnail the link, and a click on the thumbnail would open the person's usual browser download dialogue box. They'd "save" or "download" the HTML file just as they would an image or anything else they'd download from the web. There'd be no need to show the HTML file on your page, so you wouldn't need those scroll boxes - just the thumbnail. (I just checked your site some more and see that you're using the thumbnails as links to larger pictures of the layouts. Instead of making the thumbnail the link to the code, you could use text - "Download this layout" or something similar - or put the link to the code on the larger picture.)

As far as container pages (or iframes, if you want to go that route), IMHO, they could be helpful for those larger pictures. At the moment (at least on the site you linked to in the thread - I don't know what you've come up with on the new site), the larger pictures are jpegs and don't seem very clear. Assuming that these layouts are actual pages somewhere, you could put them into container pages and bring them right into your site. Visitors would see the name of the container page as the location/URL, not the name of the "remote" page where the layout is actually published. 

This is how I've done it to show tiling backgrounds, using what has become fondly known as my "faux database" setup (since these pages are all on my site, they're all CSB pages, but you can put any kind of page into a CSB container page - it doesn't have to be made in CSB):

First, here's the page that actually shows what the background looks like when tiled on a full page. There's no navigation or formatting on this page at all, but you can see the URL in the browser window:
http://www.afewwordsabout.us/database4/id306.htm

Here's the container page on the section of the site where I have backgrounds listed by artist. The URL is of the container page, but the page itself - except for the top border - is actually the same page you saw above:
http://www.afewwordsabout.us/cassatt/id247.htm

And here's the container page on the part of the site where backgrounds are listed by color. Again, except for the top border, it's the same page being shown, but the URL that shows up is the one for the container page:
http://www.afewwordsabout.us/green/id725.htm

Someone visiting the site never sees the URL with the "database" id in it - that's just for me, so I can find it

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
Trudy....!  YOU DONE GOOD! :clapping:
Excellent job with the templates and the backgrounds are terrific! Very creative use of the master's works.  Will be adding another PINNED post under FAQ for templates!

I have a request...How about MONET?  Love the impressionistic style...Would be interesting to see what you come up with from his work.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
On the money now that is what I needed .. See I knew I joined this group for a reason ..
Much Love ,
Marybeth

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
Download vs copy question. If a person goes to a page where they can only copy and not download - doesn't that save bandwidth?

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
This is a good question because there are many considerations. To copy an image from a web page, the web page and the image must be received using up the bandwidth. There is zero data traffic/transferred at the point when an image is copied from a web page because it has already been received. The issue is the size of the web page being received versus the size of the file containing the image being downloaded. On the one hand, in order to copy in image received in a web page, one has to receive the web page first and that involves bandwidth usage, and on the other hand, in order to receive the image, one has to download it, and that also uses bandwidth. So the way I see it is, there is no difference between placing the image in a web page and downloading the same image if they are the same size, however there are many other things to consider such as placing a too large image or too many images in a web page will reduce the efficiency of the site and the person browsing might click off the page out of frustration. Another important point is that not all images may be wanted, so using thumbnails means that all the images can be seen and only the needed ones downloaded thereby saving bandwidth usage.

DragonStar's page size is quarter of a meg and has approximately the same number of characters which will frustrate some users. Samantha taught me to rather have more smaller pages than a few big pages. Sometimes its a difficult trade-off but designing with that in mind creates an overall better experience for the person browsing. I don't know ??? what others think about the download vs copy question, but would be interested to know.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
Unfortunately, we are developing attention spans of a knat while surfing the web!

Most people are like my mother (on dial-up) and will wait 2 minutes IF it is something she really needs. (Gets up to get more coffee and comes back hoping the screen is loaded).  BUT if she is just wandering around link to link, or has a mild interest but no NEED, she will close a page that takes too long.

If it takes too long for everything to appear on a page, most people will skip to another page.  So having  pages that take too long to load is a problem.  Can lead to difficult decisions when planning pages.  What exactly is TOO LONG?  TOO MUCH TIME?  Arbitrary.  But in general, using more faster loading pages is preferable to one very slow page.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
:agree:        That is one of the base rules that my remake is addressing. I am on broadband and if I can't get what I need quick and have to look for something because the information or a link to the information hasn't shown up expediently I just look elsewhere. I am eliminating pages and entire sections but on the other hand adding pages to address this so it will be interesting to see if I end up with more or less pages.

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
After building a page or a site, a good way to test its loading speed, is to connect from a land line dial-up (56K) or really slow broadband (128K). A lot depends on the type of audience and their downloading speed too. In fact, some code generators e.g. Front Page and Dream Weaver, actually measure the time it will take to load a page at different speeds. I do not find them very accurate though, especially when there is flash involved.

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
FireFox web developer tools has a hady speed report that uses websiteoptimization.com
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/index.html
-turtle

treasure your pets   :turtleblink:

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
The reason I asked the copy vs download question is because at some point I would be also selling images and something akin to e-books. As long as the folder or page they were in wasn't right click protected then the viewer should be able to just click and save or copy and save -- right?

But on the other hand I was thinking if a person downloads then that is one time they use the bandwidth but if they are given access to otherwise save then they may visit multiple times and therefore use more bandwidth.

For a software or other interactive program I understand download is neccessary but for photographs for example I am not sure what is better. The stock photo sites usually offer three versions of an image at various resolutions and charge accordingly then you download that file. Which brings me to this question without a download of an image file is it possible to transfer the actual resolution of it via the internet just by what is placed on a page. I have never saved and checked an image before for various resolutions - and will if needed - but if someone already knows that would be awesome.

Another consideration is like you said - the viewer may not want all the header and side bar information and images etc.. so a page that is limited to the materials the viewer seeks would need to be set up. If it's a freebie thing I think that would be ok but if the viewer is paying for it then a page dedicated to the material would be called for.

Like you Etienne, I am still interested in the subject.