Author Topic: Two small problems with a new site  (Read 3602 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
Two small problems with a new site
« on: May 28, 2009, 04:36:43 PM »
New site is www.allmilitaryreunions.org

Problem 1:

We have a forum on our site, but CSB doesn't know about it. You can connect to it by clicking the gray world globe at the bottom of the home page.

I'd like the forum to appear on the list of links that shows up at the top of the home page and in the left border area of all the others. Is there a way to do that?

Problem 2:

On all but the home page, a "back to The Alliance of Military Reunions" link appears at the bottom of the top border. All it does is take you back to the home page. So does the "Home" link that appears in the same area.

Is this stupid redundancy, or am I missing something here?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Two small problems with a new site
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 06:46:12 PM »
THANK YOU for posting the site address.  Helps with diagnosis.

Problem 1:
It appears that you have an automated list of links made by CSB in both places. That type of list is defined by your web pages within CSB.  
Notes about this type of link list:
- as you add/remove pages from the sequence line, links are added/removed from your lists
- when you reorder the pages on the sequence, the list reorders too.
- you can quickly define the type of list, based on titles, page names, descriptions, etc, with and without bullets, etc.  
- You can not modify the actual list.
- If you want a page to be skipped, take it OFF the sequence line.
- You can add that type list to anyplace on any page Choose LINK > CREATE FROM > this sequence or another sequence
- If you want to show a page on the list that is NOT in the CSB tlx design file (like a forum), you can manually add that link either BEFORE or AFTER the list that CSB generates. To add it to many pages at one time, I recommend:
   Modify the layout you are using:  FORMAT > EDIT PAGE LAYOUT.
   Then add your text for your link where you want it (only before/after the list).
   Click Finished
   And all pages that use that layout will update with your new link.

I used this technique to add a BULLET and a link to the forum from one of my samisite.com subdirectories
Click to see the format edit in CSB  
And you can see the result on all the pages in this directory:
http://www.samisite.com/test-csb2nf/id109.htm

Problem 2:
The layout you are using is designed to be used on pages that use an UPLINK to a previous level
Uplink can be used on single pages or sequence line.
(Example: mypage.htm has 3 links, visitor follows a link. You can offer a way BACK to mypage.htm  AND the home page)
Since you do not need that option, I would remove it from the FORMAT > EDIT PAGE LAYOUT which will modify several pages at one time.

If you have need of it, you can later make another format (make a new layout and give it a new name)
You can use TEXT or graphic to link up/back  (CREATE NAVIGATIONAL LINK, PARENT PAGE in map is the setting)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 06:52:20 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
Re: Two small problems with a new site
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 07:14:24 PM »
Got it! Thanks.