Author Topic: Skype  (Read 4649 times)

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
 :help: I am toying with the idea of using Skype online on our web site and do not know if it will work with CSB5 but can not see a reason why it should not. Has anyone done it or done something with a similar product/service? There are other products other than Skype but as we use Skype, only know Skype. I have heard of a Google product but have not seen it yet. Apparently there is an icon that one needs to upload to the CSB site and then insert code they provide, I guess with an HTML insert box. The icon changes color to show on/off-line status and anyone viewing the page can click the icon and make a call. I am concerened about prank calls and :spam: and also whether the load will slow down a home page for other people browsing.

Any suggestions?
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Skype
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 09:50:02 AM »
There is no reason SKYPE shouldn't work.  I have not tried it but will soon and report my experience.

I have similar icons on the samisite.com website for my availability on IM services (AIM, ICQ, MSN).  When I am available, the icons on my contact page show that.  I have set my IM services to require my acceptance/approval before allowing incoming events.  Have NOT experienced increased spam or had a prblem and I have had those indicators on the site for a couple years now.  If you have similar options to limit incoming calls with approvals, that should cut down on that issue.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 10:37:05 AM »
I noticed those icons quite some time ago and used to be on MSN at work, but Skype has become so popular now.

:thankyousign: for your input.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:52:20 AM »
I do not use IM or IRC from the office. in fact up until mid-2006, I didn't have an IM service installed on ANY office machine. But for tech support I was required to load one and still use Trillian for ease and versatility.  I have it connected in the evenings/weekends if I am not working on a complicated or "paid" time job or if I am not watching a specific TV program, like STUDIO 60, tonight 10pm (eastern), NBC in USA.  All phone and web communication stop during that show (used to be like that with WEST WING) due to the very quick pacing of the dialogue...
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 03:07:05 PM »
Etienne, I have used the Skype call-to link on a couple of sites in the past. It is easy to do in CSB, and as Sam says, you can manage the calls through the Skype settings. Just insert the code they provide.
Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 04:44:31 AM »
:thankyousign: Rick and Samantha.

I will give it a go and report back in a week or so.

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 05:19:38 PM »
Well, it took a little longer but I eventually go around to inserting Skype so if anyone who helped reads this belated posting, thanks for your input and it works well.