Author Topic: Database Driven Website w/ Individual Guest Passwords -- Help!  (Read 5673 times)

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
Database Driven Website w/ Individual Guest Passwords -- Help!
« on: February 03, 2009, 02:08:54 PM »
I've used Trellix and then CSB for the past few years. I'm now being asked to create
a web site that allows the user to register and then after logging in they're transferred
to a page that shows them their account information.  Also needed is the ability to
be able to update the user(s) info on a daily basis.  Any suggestions on how or
where to go to accomplish this?  This is beyond CSB - - correct?

Quick note - - thanks to Samisite - - I recovered CSB's Forms ability by
subscribing to E-Mail Me Form.  Is there another such site?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Database Driven Website w/ Individual Guest Passwords -- Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 03:25:42 PM »
Glad the info on forms helped.

WELL.....

Your new situation MAY BE beyond CSB depending on what you need to accomplish.  Or not.
One site I do for my daytime employer has password protected areas.  We have a some people that need such access,
- each is given their own log-in.  (We are on a LINUX server and can use .htaccess ...read more here)
- each has a download folder where I can give them al kinds of files as they need, privately
- each has a stats page I make in Excel, convert to HTML and store it on our own local equipment.
- each has csb written pages too that are modified at different intervals.
Internally, I use CSB to produce the pages I need, including a master page that links to all the other stored data for each person, etc. I never PUBLISH this file.  I always PREVIEW it.  And the local folder is on our main company server so it makes the PERFECT internal website! 
I use CuteFTP Pro and have recorded macros.  The first time I needed to send info to those private folders, I recorded my keystrokes in the CuteFTP.  I click to connect to the host, click to run a macro and it automatically uploads the specific files to the specific folders each day. Since the file names do not change, only the contents, the macros send the right files each time. SIMPLE EASY and QUICK.
Our people get only their OWN info, are behind a password to keep prying eyes out.
I rarely have to add people to the roster, and I control the access.

That may work for you or not, depending on YOUR situation.

How many people do you have to have log in?
Do they need to sign up or will you be assigning info to certain people?
Do they need live account info, or just a screenshot or document that is updated once per month, etc.
What type of info needs to be updated DAILY?

AMember and programs like it provide much more comprehensive membership packages (sign up, member pages, etc., can even work with your payment processing if they have to pay a fee).  I mention amember because they used to have a free version of the software that was great... now that is gone sorry to say.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 04:40:16 PM »
First - - thanks for responding - - I truly appreciate it.

>>>How many people do you have to have log in?
Initially...1,100 plus new additions.
>>>Do they need to sign up or will you be assigning info to certain people?
Each will have to signup.
>>>Do they need live account info, or just a screenshot or document that is updated once per month, etc.
>>>What type of info needs to be updated DAILY?
This is a program for frequent guests of a hotel.  Each time they stay they're awarded X amount of points.
The idea is for them to be able to register, log-in and check how many points they've accumulated.  The
hotel wants to update the member info on a daily basis.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 07:29:08 PM »
YES this is WAY outside of CSB.
You WILL need to pay for the software and/or hosting of your database for the task you have. 

Take a look at h**p://www.amember.com/ The program is $180 (cheap for this type member software), works with many other pieces of software and may be able to handle that number of people....Take a look at the forum for support.  Post that you are seeking the following and see if they tell you YES or NO that will work for you.
Need a program for frequent guests of a hotel (1100+ members).  Each time they stay they're awarded X amount of points. The idea is for them to be able to register, log-in and check how many points they've accumulated.  The
hotel wants to update the member info on a daily basis.

Compare these.....each have different options. 
h**p://www.amember.com/p/Main/Features
h**p://www.wildapricot.com/pricing.aspx   (has a free account for 50 or less members)
h**ps://www.avectra.com/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?webcode=ProductMatrix
h**p://www.yourmembership.com/pricing/

h**p://www.comarch.com/en/industries/trade/products/cim/loyalty?gclid=COmnwPDKwZgCFQxKGgodWTf_1A

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )