Author Topic: RSS Feeds  (Read 5004 times)

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
RSS Feeds
« on: October 19, 2007, 09:18:13 AM »
I'm fixing to build a site that features specific feeds from various sources. Will this have to be hand pasted in and updated by hand or is there a way to incorporate feeds into a table using CSB?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: RSS Feeds
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 06:53:41 PM »
If you want to SHOW RSS feeds from other sources, go to this page, put in the address of the RSS feed, get a piece of code from them, then you insert that code into CSB Insert HTML.  This site (and others) has a server that does nothing but serve up RSS feeds into an IFRAME on your webpage. (Same type system as my ZONK BOARD on my home page.  Zonkboard.com hosts the board, and I display it on Samisite.com.  One line of code and $10/yr to have that service).

rss-info.com is just one of many companies doing the same thing.    h**p://rssxpress.ukoln.ac.uk/lite/include/ is another one.  These require an OUTSIDE website to serve the RSS feed to you.

You can also find scripts that you can install on your website that pull RSS converted to HTML into your website and again your insert a code into your webpage to display the result.   

================
DO YOU WANT TO CREATE AN RSS DOCUMENT FOR YOUR SITE THAT OTHERS CAN PULL INTO THEIR RSS READERS? 
Read this:
To create an RSS feed, please read this page.

Step by step instructions for making your OWN RSS feed with links to pages on YOUR website!
You should make that file in NOTEPAD and upload to the website outside CSB (with FTP).
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 07:03:45 PM »
Kewl. So most will load thru an IFRAME if i want them pulling into a page like news and such?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 08:05:48 PM »
RSS is in XML format.  You must have that converted to HTML or PHP to show on standard webpage.  The service I pointed you to does that for you and allows you to SHOW the RESULTS of the conversion on your page through the IFRAME CODE THEY GIVE YOU.  Most of these services charge per year (like my zonkboard).  Some are free....gotta look for them.

If you do not use a 3rd party service, you would have to have a separate script installed on your website server that would do the work for you. Then you can pull it into your website.   Most are paid scripts.  Some are still free.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 08:49:10 PM »
That was a great RSS how to page Sam. I've not seen that one before.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment