Author Topic: Firefox tools  (Read 11143 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Firefox tools
« on: January 22, 2008, 12:16:05 PM »
This thread was part of another but went off to discuss FireFox so thought it should have it's own thread...

I don't know why but when I opened your link in  FF there was also no horizontal scroll bar. Then I changed the Zoom level (bottom right hand corner on the FF window) to 125% and the scroll bar appeared. Now it is also there at 100% zoom level. Maybe you or FF team updated while I was browsing.

My ff does not have zoom like that.   ???  Are you using an add-on for that to appear?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 05:07:47 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Firefox tools
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 06:31:17 PM »
PS That did work by increasing to 125% in explorer but when I went back to 100% the scroll bar went away again.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Firefox tools
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 05:14:44 AM »
Yes, I installed a Web Developer Resize add on.

Glad you sorted it out.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
Firefox tools
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 09:23:31 AM »
Congrats Wanda!!!   :clapping: :clapping:
Glad to hear you got that layout headache sorted out.

Etienne, I have the web developer toolbar on my FF which offers a resize but not %, only pixels.  Do you have a SEPARATE resize add-in?
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
Firefox tools
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 10:20:16 PM »
ummmm where do you get the ff add ons? I went to the home page and didn't see a link.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
Firefox tools
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 12:18:19 AM »
Firefox add-ons:  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

web developer = a must
save as image = a must (screen capture, grabs WHOLE webpage as one solid image, great for instructions you want to keep for later)
ie view = convenient
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Firefox tools
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 06:56:33 AM »
Samantha - The one I have is from Chris Pederick dated June 5, 2007   -   h**p://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/
It is Version 1.1.4.

Mine does not show a % either. There are two functions under Resize. You can either Resize or Zoom. Resize changes the pixel size of the window and Zoom changes the text size and some contents in the window. I can just right click on a "blank" space on a page and the pop up menu appears. E.g.:

WebDeveloper>Resize>Zoom>Zoom In to increase the content size to 125% etc.
or
WebDeveloper>Resize>1024x768 to change the window size

I also like to see the window size in the Title Bar which can be switched on.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
Firefox tools
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 09:14:43 AM »
WebDeveloper>Resize>Zoom>Zoom In to increase the content size to 125% etc.

I have the same version of Web developer but mine has ZOOM OPTION:
Ctrl+Shift+Z   and Ctrl+Shift+X, no choice for % 
So you were just estimating the 125%.
I have the title bar size on too.  :D

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Firefox tools
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 11:04:36 AM »
If you have a wheel mouse, press&hold Ctrl and turn the wheel so you don't have to take your hand off the mouse. The default increments are .5,.75,1,1.25,1.5,2,3 i.e. zoom levels of 50%, 75%, 100%, 125%, 150%, 200%, and 300%. I tried this for viewing spreadsheets which it does OK except if there is a chart embeded which won't zoom. I have heard of an add-on that zooms images but I don't have it yet. When browsing, zooming sometimes does not work at all as some web pages are designed not to allow it. I haven't been able to make Inline Frames work even if the focus point is on the iFrame but the wheel mouse and Ctrl key does work in IE7 unless the mouse is setup differently.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
Firefox tools
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 11:52:23 AM »
Yes, I have scrolled for zoom.  Works ok sometimes not all programs...but does not show the %.  I thought you were seeing a % displayed somewhere and wished I could too... ;)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Firefox tools
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 03:46:09 AM »
There is no % shown like in Explorer with my Web Developer add-on either. I just read the documentation and know that it can zoom from 50% to 150% in 25% increments and then 200% and a max of 300% from my work with spread/worksheets.

I would like to get the Zoom add-on that works on images but they say the quality of the current version is not as good as in IE7 and that a better one will be included in FF3.0. There are however button that can be put on the toolbar for instant click zooming.

This is the Sourceforge description link for PageZoom: h**p://pagezoom.sourceforge.net/
It can be downloaded from SF or Mozilla.
SF: h**p://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=163859
Mozilla: h**ps://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1499?id=1499

I can't find a description that says it shows the % which I agree would be nice.

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
Firefox tools
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 03:39:02 PM »
Thanks Sam for the addy and Etienne for the info.. I also thought you meant an add on.. yep I have a wheeled mouse.. always forget about that feature..   :v8slap: :idea:

PS OH GREAT - I went in to check out the add ons to find this... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1407 Clipmarks... and weeeeeee you can even add what you clip off of someone's page right into your own page or blog. Personally I see that as just another way to EASILY use copyrighted material without permission.  >:( :(
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 03:44:25 PM by SafariWoman »

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Firefox tools
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 04:10:05 PM »
The Web Developer is an add-on for FF. It is the one Samantha says is a 'must have'. When you install it, it adds a menu item called "Web Developer" to the Tools menu in FF. The Web Developer menu item has indispensable sub menus which can be very useful.

Yes, I've seen the Clipmarks add-on but have not installed it yet.  :noshake:

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
Firefox tools
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 04:32:20 PM »
I am going to install it just so I can know how it can be used.. not to use it myself to post other people's work. Thanks for clarifying that as I found a few web developer type titled things.. good grief so many add ons! I never knew.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
Firefox tools
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 05:00:55 PM »
web developer bar is on the RECOMMEND list on this page.

I agree Wanda...don't like the sound of making it EASIER to use other people's stuff with that clipmarks... :unsure:

{thinking of splitting these last several posts off into another thread...ya...think I will....}
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
Re: Firefox tools
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 07:12:15 PM »
Good idea Sammy.. the split.. ack on Clipmarks. So I got it going and set up an account and clipped something from my own page to see how it works.  :ss-shocked: I don't even want to go into all the uses here because it might alert more people to it. All I can say is now I am really going to lock down how I build my sites and present images and group information to always include link addresses when it goes to my own site because their clips currently are static.

But Geeeeeezz They might as well hand out keys to our front doors while they are at it.

On the Other side of the coin.. I am going to work this to my own advantage for advertising my sites. I might as well. At least the clip blog thingy you can set up is seen by many others and includes the address of the site it came from with a link. hehehe... There is absolutely nothing wrong with clipping from your own site for exposure.

I can see this growing like wildfire. Might as well figure out how to implement it into sites like so many other things I have recently learned from building myspaces and being involved in blogs, forums, groups etc. The dynamics of the Internet are changing so quickly and it is becoming much more of an interactive place to be that some types of web sites not including at least a few of these features will soon be left far behind.

I picked up 11 add ons for now. Very cool. I love Firefox btw and it is becoming my browser of choice.

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Big Cat Lover
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 09:54:50 AM »
A wonderful add-on is "View Source Chart" written by Jennifer Madden. If you're in the habit of right-clicking on a web page to analyze the HTML code, then this beauty will present the code in nested, colored tables for easy-on-the-eyes evaluation. :clapping:

From the description:

Source Charting...

* Graphically Displays HTML Tag Boundaries
* Graphically Defines Tag Nesting Order, Structure and Hierarchy
* Adds A Simple but Powerful User Interface *TO* Source Code

WHAT SOURCE CHARTING DOES THAT INDENTATION-ONLY FORMATTING DOES NOT:

Source Charting Allows the User To...

* quickly scan and recognize a document's tags without reading a single tag
* see how deeply nested an element is just by looking to its left (no scrolling/finding/reading tags)
* identify an element's containing tags without having to scroll, find and read each tag

The link: h**ps://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/655

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
FFx Adds-On
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 10:03:50 AM »
Like to change your screen view?

Try this one h**ps://addons.mozilla.org/it/firefox/addon/122

I really like it. I think it is a good idea to change aspect every now and then, like we do with our desktop background image.

T
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 10:21:05 AM »
I moved your post Tony to go with the other Firefox add-ons.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 11:22:15 AM »
Thanks Sami,

Believe me, I looked around to see were to post it...

Now I now  :D

;)

T
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 11:51:04 AM »
It's my forum and I still wander too!
-Samantha