Author Topic: Word Association Game  (Read 966794 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Word Association Game
« Reply #3000 on: September 26, 2010, 10:48:14 AM »
dollar

We have a "dollar cinema" nearby.  Regular movies cost $7 to get in, plus popcorn and drink = $12/movie.  The "dollar cinema" is $1.75 to get in plus popcorn and drink = $5.75/movie.  When movies leave the regular theaters, they arrive at this old place and we go to see them at this place.  If you bring in a can of soda or bottle of water, you can go to the movie for $1.75 and I can't think of a cheaper/better night out these days! 
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #3001 on: September 26, 2010, 05:44:43 PM »
silver
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #3002 on: September 27, 2010, 03:54:59 AM »
Ahiooo....

rofl
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3003 on: September 27, 2010, 09:32:15 AM »
Away.......!    rofl

Ok Lone Ranger, where's Tonto today?
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #3004 on: September 27, 2010, 10:37:28 AM »
gallop
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3005 on: September 27, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
trot

Hey you guys, the Lone Ranger was associated with silver bullet, not silver dollar!  LOL

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #3006 on: September 27, 2010, 06:36:01 PM »
run

Rick... don't you remember the name of his horse?  :v8slap:   rofl
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3007 on: September 27, 2010, 07:34:03 PM »
 away  :kickdancing:
 :agree:  Rick.   rofl
When you chain Silver and Dollar
The LoneRanger used silver bullets to remind himself that life was precious, just like the metal in the bullets!
But when I think of silver bullets, I think werewolves!  
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3008 on: September 28, 2010, 08:13:09 AM »
far

Whether silver bullets, or his horse, Silver, The Lone Ranger has always been one of my favourites! I had several 78rpm records of his early adventures, before TV was invented (well, almost!)  :). Now I have DVD's of all the TV series.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3009 on: September 28, 2010, 01:47:47 PM »
travel

:TUP:
I listen to the audio files.   http://tennesseebillsotr.com/otr/Lone%20Ranger/Verified/   
Tennesseebillsotr.com has a HUGE collection of free old time radio shows.
These are the other two sites I like to visit:
http://www.archive.org/details/oldtimeradio
and http://otrr.org/
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #3010 on: September 28, 2010, 03:12:06 PM »
& living

One of my favorites TV channel   :D

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3011 on: September 28, 2010, 05:49:29 PM »
adventure

Thanks for those OTR links Sami. I really enjoy Old Time Radio. It is especially good to listen when driving on long trips.

Do you know any way that multiple episodes can be downloaded, instead of doing one at a time?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3012 on: September 28, 2010, 07:13:43 PM »

Suspense!

Sure!
http://www.archive.org/details/oldtimeradio   search for a favorite show.  Like Suspense!.

http://www.archive.org/details/SUSPENSE
You will see there are 9 pages of files!  9 full cds worth.
On the left side of the page are different choices.  You can STREAM the files. Or download Zip files of the entire section.  The first zip file is 625MB.  :yes:
Hope you have good connection!
Some shows have mutiple choices for types of downloads along that left side.
Example:  http://www.archive.org/details/OTRR_Certified_Dragnet  has all the zip files along the left side and bottom of the description page.
Some of the archives are better than others, some have more documentation.  OTRR can be certified or verified series (most complete and accurate). But not all shows are in the OTRR archives.

For sites that do not have zips, like tennesseebills, I have used the DOWNTHEMALL addon for Firefox with excellent results.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/201/
You connect to a page, it tells you which files are available for you, you can define that you only want zip or only want mp3, etc and manually choose only the ones you want or grab everything.
You can tell it to download one at a time or limit number of active files (I limit to 6 at a time so I don't hurt bandwidth, and my files come in at a good pace).
Free, no ad or spyware.  Very nice for this purpose.

So far, I have 91.5 GB of Old Time Radio Programs downloaded onto an external Free Agent Go drive.
Still gathering more.  I LOVE these on my mp3 player while driving, while shopping, relaxing.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3013 on: September 28, 2010, 09:57:29 PM »
action!

Great! Thanks Sami, you have made my day! I have found episodes of some OTR that I have been looking for a long time! I have 200GB monthly download allowance, so no problems there.

I am off to China again on Sunday for 2 weeks, so I will have something to listen to in the plane - better than the boring movies! So I may not be online the next 2 weeks, unless I can find a friendly proxy server!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3014 on: September 29, 2010, 12:48:53 AM »
Crime!

"
Good.  Glad you will have something new to listen too on your trip. Helps me to stay awake when I am driving.
When I was a kid we had old radio shows when we went to bed.. "Shadow", "Saint" "Whistler" "Creaking Door" "Witching Hour" and several others were played on the one american radio station playing in europe (AFRTS) in the evenings.  Great entertainment for kids in bed...sounds, close your eyes and listen letting imagination fill in the blanks. My mother used to read books to us with we were very young, and this story telling on the radio just continued the tradition.  I loved the voices of Vincent Price and Orson Welles. Still love rich voices! I got a ton of Welles files from a site that is now down. Am SO glad that I captured them before the site disappeared cause I don't know if it will ever be back.

Have a safe trip.  Enjoy!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #3015 on: September 29, 2010, 09:23:40 AM »
Science!

All of you are lucky for being able to listen and understand all those treasures from the past... :verysad:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3016 on: September 29, 2010, 12:47:28 PM »
Mystery!

I am surprised you can not understand them Tony.  I know you have difficulty speaking languages, but many times people can understand more than they can speak.  I am like that with German. Can hear/understand more than I can speak.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #3017 on: September 29, 2010, 03:16:41 PM »
Discovery  :D

It depends on who and how he speaks, but in any case, I never can understand the whole speech.
In the best case I can get more than 50% of the words and understand the entire idea of the matter, especially if I know what topic is being discussed, but in some cases... :-\  :-\   and not to mention the songs! Songs are completely another language for me!!

When I was young, I was often sent to the International School of the company in Dayton, Ohio, to take courses spoken in English and, surprisingly, I understand very well the classes, but did not understand the jokes told by the teacher.  :D :D

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3018 on: September 29, 2010, 05:30:30 PM »
shuttle

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3019 on: September 30, 2010, 10:39:22 AM »
space
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #3020 on: September 30, 2010, 10:57:02 AM »
boom!

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3021 on: September 30, 2010, 04:29:07 PM »
sonic

sonic boom : noise made by a supersonic aircraft when it breaks the sound barrier

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #3022 on: October 01, 2010, 06:40:49 AM »
super

I've heard that sound... :ss-shocked:
some years ago, during political disorders in Venezuela, a F-16 flew +/- 300 meters over our building breaking the sound barrier. I was at the balcony just looking at the plane and in front of me was an entire glass windows building... You can't imagine what I heard/saw. None window was broke, but I saw the entire building trembling as a gelatin. Our first impression was that the F-16 had dropped a bomb...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 07:05:59 AM by Tony41 »

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3023 on: October 01, 2010, 07:52:21 AM »
man

Wow Tony, what a fantastic story. I guess that would not be allowed in developed countries, so in a way you had a unique experience.

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #3024 on: October 03, 2010, 07:37:19 AM »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3025 on: October 03, 2010, 11:16:15 AM »
nuetral

Have heard sonic booms in Germany (military training on bases nearby). Have seen glass wobble because of it. Cool effect.

In the southeastern USA, someone got to experience sonic booms every time the space shuttle landed here in Florida. Depending on which direction they came from, either south, central or north florida would hear/feel it. And the sound could be heard as far away as Mississippi on some landing paths.  The closer to ground, the more the effect is FELT. Since I am in Orlando, when it would happen here, we got a good shaking.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #3026 on: October 03, 2010, 02:50:34 PM »
referee

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3027 on: October 03, 2010, 06:36:17 PM »
Penalty!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #3028 on: October 04, 2010, 03:58:08 AM »
goal!!

:offtopic:
I’ve always had a tremendous doubt about the sound barrier boom, may be you guys can explain it to me…
Say that a plane is flying over Mach 1 for a while at a relative low altitude. On ground, there are 100 witnesses separated one mile apart each other,  QUESTIONS: If the plane is already flying OVER the sound barrier (he already broke it time ago…) how many booms are there? each witness hear the SAME boom or are there one boom for each witness (this last is ridiculous, I know, but is just to explain my doubt…) WHY a boom heard by determinate witness is not heard by the witness ten miles away which, in turn, hears his OWN boom when the plane reaches him?   :unsure: :-\

Am I asking a stupidity bigger than a house?   :-[

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3029 on: October 04, 2010, 12:09:45 PM »

SCORE!!

The jet in this image is breaking the sound barrier.  SO COOL!
Breaking the sound barrier causes a SOUND and a VISUAL barrier too that lasts only an instant.
The plane pushes the air creating pressure waves that travel at the speed of sound.
Similar to a boat that creates waves as it moves through water.
As the plane approaches sound barrier, the air can not move out of the way quick enough.
The air is squashed together in one big cone shaped wave.
There are two booms produced: one at the nose, one at the tail.
Often it appears to be only one by observers because they happen so close together.

Info comes from this video with great pics:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d9A2oq1N38&feature=related

I would expect that as that sound wave is pushed along, people far away from the plane would hear it in different degrees. 
Like the wake of the boat, it is strongest closest to the boat and gets less as it travels.  Sound would be like that too right?
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3030 on: October 05, 2010, 12:08:53 AM »
scratch

Great sound barrier pic, Sami. Did u take it? haha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3031 on: October 05, 2010, 10:46:16 AM »
missed

Of Coursed I did!   rofl    I was in a biplane at the time.   rofl rofl
Don't know who should get the credit for that great pic, it is posted on TONS of sites.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3032 on: October 05, 2010, 07:09:16 PM »
opportunity

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3033 on: October 05, 2010, 11:36:04 PM »
knocking
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #3034 on: October 06, 2010, 07:46:59 AM »
door

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3035 on: October 06, 2010, 11:04:02 AM »
closed
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3036 on: October 06, 2010, 07:23:51 PM »
book

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3037 on: October 06, 2010, 11:25:24 PM »
audio

(love my audio books!  great companions when I drive or shop for groceries)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #3038 on: October 07, 2010, 06:12:42 PM »
Audible

(that a new one: listening to audio books while grocery shopping)

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #3039 on: October 08, 2010, 03:48:09 AM »
distraction

...for both tasks

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3040 on: October 08, 2010, 12:17:59 PM »
concentration

(listening to books while doing those tasks keeps me alert and interested.  Driving a long way, I tend to start bobbing my head, get sleepy unless I am listening to books or music.  Sometimes the book is more intense and more likely to keep me intrigued. Sometimes I actually go around the block an extra time so I can get to the end of a chapter.  :-[)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3041 on: October 09, 2010, 05:34:44 AM »
headache

I have found the OTR serials you put me on to Sami, is a great alternative to audio books on long trips. I listened to Tales of the Texas Rangers (from the 1940's) in the plane from Shanghai to Beijing yesterday! :)

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #3042 on: October 09, 2010, 01:50:30 PM »
hangover

only once, when I was teen...   :bdballoon: :hapscream:  :boogie:.......     :yuck:     :sickinbed:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3043 on: October 09, 2010, 02:10:31 PM »
pained

Every person I have seen with a hangover gets that same pained look on the face!   rofl

Yep. Love the OTR shows. Lots of sites for them. Glad you like them too. I am so glad they have not been lost, that with the advance of technology, they have found a new audience and popularity.  Wonderful performances in many of the series.  Have not checked out the one you mention but will download them today!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #3044 on: October 10, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
toothache

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #3045 on: October 10, 2010, 01:37:34 PM »
dentist

you made me curious, I never knew about the existence of  recordings of old series.
I was listening to Cisco Kid    - Hoo Cisco .... Hoo Pancho ...   rofl

Lot of Spanish words in their dialogs, but I always heard it completely translated in that language...

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3046 on: October 10, 2010, 07:23:16 PM »
fear

Tony, you should try "The Lone Ranger". .....Hi yo Silver!!!!! Away!!!!!!!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3047 on: October 10, 2010, 09:35:26 PM »
sinus headache

(had one so bad one time that I thought I had a bad tooth.  went to dentist to find out I had a sinus infection and teeth were solid!)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #3048 on: October 11, 2010, 04:10:09 AM »
elephant

Can you imagine how BIG would be the sinusitis for them...   rofl

I did Rick, I also heard one of the most famous sketches of Abbot and Costello: "Who's on first?"  :clapping:

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3049 on: October 11, 2010, 08:38:38 AM »
trunk

Sami, I also suffer from sinus headache. Very very unpleasant. Fortunately, I seem to get it less frequently than I used to.

Lucky I don't get elephant sinus headache! rofl