Author Topic: Just called the police on my neighbor  (Read 8001 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Just called the police on my neighbor
« on: February 08, 2007, 09:10:39 PM »
I live near Orlando, but not in the city proper.
My neighbor is an owner/operator 18 wheeler driver and has been parking on our residential street off and on for several months.  Twice he has had major incidents with the truck, the second actually took out our fire hydrant on the street. We went without the hydrant for more than a month!

We asked him nicely as neighbors to remove the truck since it is a hazard, our street is not zoned for it AND it is unsightly.  He is beligerent even though code-enforcement has told him to stop bringing the truck up on the street.

Tonight he did it yet again. Tonight for the first time, I called the police AND code enforcement. I have never called the police on a neighbor before but tonight it was the last straw. Police came in minutes even though it was a non-emergency call.  Asked him to remove the truck but he told the officer he never leaves the truck there for more than 20 minutes.   rofl  I told the officer to talk with the other neighbors who would gladly tell him that the truck has been parked there overnight, over weekends, and whenever it was convenient. That he was outright lying!  The officer had him take the truck out but no ticket this time. BUMMER....   

The very pleasant officer told me to keep a log, call code enforcement every time the truck rolls up the street...everytime!  And be a pest! Only way to resolve this is to get him caught time after time.

The neighbor has now put a for sale sign out.  :kickdancing: :kickdancing: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: 
I am so sad to know he will be leaving the area. :'( >:D   rofl  can't even type it with a straight face!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 09:59:18 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
Re: Just called the police on my neighbor
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 09:27:05 PM »
I know how you feel Sami.
I had a neighbor for a few years that would not even say hello,
never met the wife or son.
Then they moved and the nicest people moved in and are now great friends.
They even offered to cat sit when we are gone.
-turtle

treasure your pets   :turtleblink:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 09:58:23 PM »
I too have wonderful friends on this street. We cat sit for each other, we travel together, sew, share and even get sick together. I love them both dearly. Known them since 1992.  Been through very good and very bad times together.  They will be moving this May or June to a retirement park. Both are in very late 70's and want a smaller home with less maintenance.  I will be heart sick when they are no longer within a couple minutes walk!  :'(

The big tree in their front yard was partially taken out by TRUCK GUY when he took out the fire hydrant.  Won't miss TRUCK GUY at all. Maybe I will be lucky again with another wonderful neighbor. I have been blessed with a couple so far so who knows...maybe it will happen again. :luck:
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 12:30:17 AM »
Told a couple neighbors that were not home last night about calling the police...got HUGS!   :hearts:
Hated to do it. Don't want to be THAT CRABBY old lady! 
But apparently other people were releived that SOMEONE did it. :yes:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 02:11:13 AM »
The guy drives a semi rig for a living and y'all are upset when he drives it home? If he's an owner/operator doesn't that put him in the position to have to rent a special big truck storage place and have someone pick him up and drop him off whenever he comes home?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 08:32:08 AM »
Yes Fred.  Unless you live out in open county area, that is the law and the cost of doing business. He does not need someone to pick him up.  He stores his car where he stores the truck.  Home to truck in auto, drive truck then drive auto home.

I work for a company that deals with semis all day. Have nothing against them or the drivers. My grandfather drove a cattle truck for a while and a rig for delivering autos.

I don't want to see one out my front window if I am sitting on my couch or in the guest room.  Don't want the sound waking me at 2am , 3am, 4am as he often leaves or arrives any time of the day!  But that is not the reason I called the police ONCE after many months of problems with this neighbor. 

You can not make me feel badly about this though I know that was the intent of your post...I should feel for this guy...he is trying to make a living.... Ya... Fine.

I do have something against an irresponsible person that:
1: Leaves truck and trailer attached, unattended, unlocked on a hill, with no wheel blocks. Children climbed in and got that thing ROLLING down hill. Truck came to rest blocking the other street, back end of truck against a brick wall on someone's property (had to be repaired) and only a couple feet from a bedroom! Shoulda seen the panic around here!
2: While backing down the street he plowed down the fire hyrant and literally rammed it into the ground so bad that it could not be righted. I saw him do it! The repair crew could not fix it because there was far too much damage. Had to be capped and our street went without fire protection for more than a month till they could get the pipe repaired well enough to put another one in! This is no minor infraction!  It was EXTREMELY dangerous. 
3: He has done personal property damage with his truck, never apologized and in fact has been beligerant about it. His truck went off the road and RUTTED the neighbor's yard, took out plants, took out about half of a tree when he took out the fire hydrant. The brick wall had to be repaired on another occasion.
4: Our street T's with a rather busy street that has a blind rise. When he backs that rig down the street, he has to back out onto that street, blocking both traffic lanes.  People come over that rise can NOT see what is just beyond and have NO WAY to stop before running dead into the truck.
5: Our street is not rated for that weight and shows damage from his truck.
6: Code enforcement does not allow for SEMI's (cab or full rig) to be parked in residential areas because of weight, danger and NOISE. Even though it is LOUD and very annoying at 3am when he often sometimes leaves, we have never been upset about having JUST THE CAB in his yard. We mind when he brings the attached trailer and parks on our street.
7: He pulls 4 rigs: flatbed, SEWAGE tanker, unmarked tanker and a large open carrier (see photo). The sewage tanker has biohazard and that did not matter to him! It stayed in front of his property, 3 days over a weekend and Monday on several occasions.
8: His neighbor was trying to sell their house and the real estate agent couldn't get a bite on the house during the BOOM because # 1 complaint...don't want to live next to a semi! Hurts our property value.

In this picture, he has backed up the street so he could just pull out. Sometimes he just drives up the street, and must back down. In either case, he has to BLOCK the cross street to do it each time.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 08:37:35 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 03:24:34 PM »
Is that a ten wheeller? The naughty kid >:D in me would have used the match stick effect at least 5 times if you know what I mean ;).
Why some people don't respect their neighbors and themselves beats me. I mean ya gotta know that is wrong to leave that thing there. I take my hat off to you for standing up for your rights!
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 04:36:14 PM »
Same cab, 4 trailers. He's 10-18 wheels depending on what he is parking that day!
Thanks Etienne. :) 

I work with someone who is very self-centered and is proud of it. She has a sign up that says "YES THE WORLD DOES REVOLVE AROUND ME".  And she means it. All her decisions are not made based on what is right for the family or the business. It is what gives HER the best opportunity. 

Though I use the word "I" a lot on forums, I don't understand that kind of thinking. We are interconnected. Our actions, our choices impact others. We are not solitary beings. What we do can have a domino effect even after we are gone.

In fact... :D  I can demonstrate how that works....
I got free Trellix with my corel.  Found I could not publish with it to the host we were using but visited the Trellix cafe to find out more...Kevin  (KW) sent me to get Trellix PA....Kept coming back to the forum absorbing ripples from KW, Turtle, Lianna...Then I started answering a few questions, making my own ripples. Some of the people that were affected by my ripples were Etienne, Trudy, Wanda, Fred... and now some of those are making thier own ripples...and influencing me to open the forum to touch even MORE people. SO...if the Trellix Cafe had not been there, and those people hadn't assisted, or had been mean or nasty, this forum would not exist!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 10:57:51 PM »
I was just yanking your chain. Had you welcomed the truck in your neighborhood I'd of posted just the opposite. I can't help being a devil's advocate. It's genetic. Blame my Momma.  >:D

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 12:53:50 PM »
I got flack about it here in my office.  Stood my ground here too.  So you touched a nerve. Shoulda known!  ;)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 01:38:55 PM »
Gee way to go Sam! I get peeved about my neighbor who lives across the street having their employees park in the street across from my house or in front of my house since I live on what used to be a culdasac with some extra off road space around the front of the property - The employee thing well right away is kind of a no no - but being I work at home I keep my mouth shut on that - Anyway it drives me nuts to look out and have to see a car or cars parked there all the time and sometimes it is inconvenient to pull out of the driveway. This is a very nice neighborhood and there are rules about it but SOME people just ignore them to their own convenience.

So I can relate and I give you credit for being so patient.  :clapping: A truck like that would have put me over the edge long ago!

:yuck:
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 05:08:06 AM »
What a lovely story!

Sami said
I can demonstrate how that works....
I got free Trellix with my corel.  Found I could not publish with it to the host we were using but visited the Trellix cafe to find out more...Kevin  (KW) sent me to get Trellix PA....Kept coming back to the forum absorbing ripples from KW, Turtle, Lianna...Then I started answering a few questions, making my own ripples. Some of the people that were affected by my ripples were Etienne, Trudy, Wanda, Fred... and now some of those are making thier own ripples...and influencing me to open the forum to touch even MORE people. SO...if the Trellix Cafe had not been there, and those people hadn't assisted, or had been mean or nasty, this forum would not exist!

I got a free Trellix with my HP Scanner and the ball was kept rolling by people like you.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 05:30:54 AM »
I made a lot of friends from the early Trellix Cafe,
including two very dear friends from Sweden and Brazil that I email weekly.
I even got to email a few times with Dan Bricklin the creator of Trellix.
He was familar with my area as a kid.
And of course I made more friends like Lianna and Sami and others.
And now even more new friends here.  :clapping:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 05:39:19 AM by turtle »
-turtle

treasure your pets   :turtleblink:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 07:31:01 AM »
Yes... Dear sweet Thomas (Sweden) was a noobie to webmastering when he started with this program and look at him now! :clapping: :clapping: Moderator at TCH giving guidance to hundreds of folks!  More ripples. 

Even if you never interacted with KW, Richard, David Teyong, Lianna, Curtis and others, their influence is felt by us all. All thanks to Dan Bricklin's brain storm Trellix!  Though I link to his Trellix site (still), I have never contacted him.  If I did, it would be to say THANK YOU.

My experience with this product has been far more than just using a nice piece of software.  It has been a journey that has literally changed my life in ways I could never have expected, introduced me to a community of people that are so caring and giving. In my WILDEST dreams, I would NEVER have expected to make a tutorial site or have people all over North America, China, Netherlands, Sweden, Germany, Japan, Australia drop in my door on a regular basis!  :boogie: :boogie:

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
    • The Slagles
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 08:24:41 AM »
I needed to be able to do a few small websites for our business and one of my web design friends recommended Trellix.  Globalscape had just introduced 3.0 so that is where I started.  I was stumbling around with Dreamweaver (and continue to do so) but CSB was so easy and if I ran into a brick wall ( :banghead:) there was plenty of friendly help available on the old forum.  Usually I could find what I wanted on KW's site.  Remember when Kevin asked that we all email Happy Birthday to his wife?  I have no idea how many emails she received but even though she had no idea who I was I got a very nice reply from her.

Lot of friends through the CSB connection over the years.  A few years ago I was looking for an article from an old Swedish motoring magazine about a Snow Trac.  Thomas helped me look around the internet to find a copy.

Jim