Author Topic: Advice or ideas on accessing computer from remote locations?  (Read 7241 times)

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
I just found where my xp supposedly has a download for this but I am still confused a little about it. Do you still have to have a service to go through to connect or what?

Then I researched and found a wide range of things on line about different services that a person can use as well. I am a little lost in it at this point.

I want to be able to travel,  access my computer so I can not only work on things but move them to a shared folder for example so someone who enters my office can thenwork on them etc.

I read about the xp that the computer locks and nothing can be seen except a sign in screen if their add on is used but then a simple key stroke opens it .. it says .. when you get back to your office.. but what I am wondering is if you are working and someone is near the computer.. could they key stroke it and see what was being worked on?

Well that is just one ?.. Does anyone do remote access now and if so how do you do it and what do you use etc.

Any advice, web sites you might recommend etc.. will be helpful THANKS
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
Re: Advice or ideas on accessing computer from remote locations?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 01:57:32 AM »
https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp?lang=en looks like a good one.. maybe I am getting it now?? lol I don't know for some reason this subject is testy for me.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 11:36:59 AM »
I use two methods, one free, one paid to reach into home/office/friends/family machines.

FREE:  REMOTE DESKTOP UTILITY
Windows XP PRO has the ability built-in, if you install it (under Add/remove programs, Windows Components).
I use this for connecting to other machines on our network and once in a while from home to work.

PAID: PC ANYWHERE  HOST/REMOTE.
The machine you want to reach into must have the HOST part of the program. 
The machine that reaches out to connect to the other needs the REMOTE.
So you need software installed at each end, but no monthly/connection costs.
I use this for connecting to my mother's machine and from home to work, etc.
Versions 10.5 and above will work on XP pro or home.

Both ways allow you to control the host machine from remote location.  Both ways allow you to transfer files.  I PREFER PC Anywhere when I need to transfer files (FASTER).  Both require you to connect via IP Address.  If the machine you are trying to reach is being reached with a modem, you may need to BRIDGE your connection.  In other words, the cable/DSL modem has the IP address not your computer. To get all the way in past the modem, you must use a bridge setting (get this info from your ISP, specific to modem in use) to allow the IP address to get all the way to your computer.

PAID: Have also used GOTOMYPC.com and a couple other online services for companies that have set that up. I do not have any of these online paid services.  $ add up quickly.  These are paid for hours/sessions of connectivity.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 12:27:33 AM »
Thanks that helped :) I had found the xp pro add on and what will be a stationary computer is XP PRO while the lap top that I travel with and need access from is Windows 2000. So I was guessing I needed a paid service.
(Right?)

And so.. I may have dial up on the lap top that I would be using to access my office computer in frequent locations since some of them are fairly remote and don't offer anything else. So would I need a bridge or is that just when the computer that is being accessed is on dialup? My office is cable. If I am traveling from point to point then who would tell me the bridge if for example, I was at a vacation rental every few weeks? Would I have to ask the owner who provides the dial up?

THANKS AS USUAL SAM  :D  :schip: :surfsup:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 09:37:52 AM »
I have pcanywhere on my laptop, home machine and office machine. I have both HOST and REMOTE on all three machines.  Have been using pcanywhere since old win 98 days.  Reliable, has printing capability, file transfer and all the options that I need.  Not cheap to setup but no costs after that so in the long run have paid less to do that than online services.  I also tried a FREE type connecton and did not care for it.  Could not transfer files (MANDATORY FOR ME).  Have used the PCA program in 33kbps dial up situations (draggy but still connects!) and T1 connections. 

The bridge I mention is usually done for your HOME computer if you are on cable or dsl modem.
You would contact your ISP to get instructions to BRIDGE your connection.
Then your computer can be reached by the outside world.
Your home computer would have its own IP address (until the modem is reset).
If you do not bridge, and you try to connect in to the PC and you can't because the IP stops at the modem.
I did this technique on my mother's machine.  Then installed PCA on her system.  When she has computer problems, she tells me her IP address (as it can change!) and I connect in and take control of her system.  I have taught her how to do things this way, fixed problems, and transfered files to/from her machine quickly.  I even connected to her machine to do my taxes on her copy of TurboTax, while sitting at my own computer.  Then pressed the button to print at my home printer.  LOVELY.

To connect to a computer on the network at an office directly with software, you usually need a STATIC IP address assigned to that computer. Most businesses have a firewall that blocks incoming traffic.  For me to connect from home or on the road to my office, I have our firewall set to translate our INTERNAL/PRIVATE IP address (only used on the local network within our property) to an EXTERNAL IP address that can be reached by the outside world and define a specific port for this use.  Only three of our machines have external IP addresses. Those machines have PC Anywhere and each of us has PC Anywhere on our home machines so we can get into our office systems.  Yes we can get in using Remote Desktop (goes into server then you click to go to the workstation you want), but transfering files that way is SLOWER than PCA.

When you are on the road, you would connect to your office machine using the settings necessary.  Usually this means an IP address typed into the browser window or in the software interface.  Once your remote machine FINDS the HOST machine, you are prompted for username/password.  The handshake is completed and you are given control of the hosted machine (up to the limits defined in the software on the HOST machine). 

My laptop has xp home and can not do the remote desktop that my pro can do.  But the PCA on it allows me to take that machine to the keys on vacation, use the local dial-up connection and still get into the office machine to do my daily numbers.  Ain't technology grand? 

Depending on YOUR needs, an online service like GoToMyPC.com (expensive) or LogMeIn.com or  pcnow has a subscription with lots of uses for $10.35/mo. would do for you.  Free Trials on all these products!

Of course the machine you want to connect into (the HOST) must be turned ON.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 10:05:42 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 06:43:22 PM »
Wow most of that sunk in the first time ( Well Done !!!!!! My brain is operating at over capacity so you really explained it super well! ) Thank you Sam! lol But I will re read it to be sure I understand a few issues. This service https://secure.logmein.com/products/pro/ is onlly 69.95  a year and it seems like it has everything I would ever need. Is there anything your service offers that this one doesn't? ( If you get the time to check it out .. just wondering for the difference in price - I can't think of what it could have that isn't diagnosing and fixing computer problem related perhaps ?)

So it sounds complex but I bet once I figure it out it probably will be easy enough. I love this technology! :) What a triumph for working away from the office.

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 08:27:05 PM »
Well thank goodness for my posting here lol. I just wanted to say I had to come back to find which one  I had chosen because I had so many marked in favorites from originally looking for one.  :P :v8slap: ??? I downloaded the 120 minute or thirty day trial which ever comes first. Will be checking it out over the next few weeks.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 04:28:53 PM »
Found this service and wanted to update the thread:
NEW FREE limited ONLINE MEETING TOOL.    Mikogo
h**p://www.mikogo.com/en/product/why-its-free/

Looking to host an online meeting without paying through the teeth? Look no further. Mikogo is a free desktop sharing tool full of features to assist you in conducting the perfect online meeting or web conference.
Take advantage of the opportunity to share any screen content or application over the Internet in true color quality with up to 10 participants simultaneously, while still sitting at your desk.

Mikogo can be employed for a range of professional, academic, or personal uses, including:
    * online meetings
    * web conferences
    * product demonstrations
    * web presentations
    * remote support
    * webinars
    * and more!

Provide online technical support for your customers. Conduct product demonstrations for business customers. Use Mikogo to discuss and edit a current team project. The ideal tool for free online group collaboration.

Download it today and broadcast your screen between your guests with just 2 mouse-clicks.

Mikogo offers all features at no cost, free for all users and with no time limitations i.e. you can use all the features below as often and for as long as you wish.

During a meeting, users are able to enjoy the following features:

* Desktop Sharing
    * Multiple Meeting Participants
    * Switch Presenter
    * Remote Keyboard and Mouse Control
    * Meeting Scheduler
    * Meeting Recording and Playback
    * Whiteboard
    * Transfer Files
    * Application Selection
    * Back Monitor
    * Pointer
    * Copy/Paste/Email Meeting Info
    * Pause Transmission
    * Voice Conferencing Service

Looks quite interesting for OCCASIONAL meetings, personal and corporate.
They offer a fully paid, fully functional heavier program BEAMYOURSCREEN.com

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 04:52:15 PM »
followup... I posted about MIKOGO in the favorite web applications today.  
Excellent choice to connect between computers for assistance but not for you to connect to your own computer remotely.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 07:41:31 AM »
Thanks for the tips - I never did get something going on this that was satisfactory. I need so much help right now it is making me nuts. lol

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 08:41:26 AM »
What type of help do you need Wanda?
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 08:20:10 AM »
Web site design help -- but at this point on spinner - and general help with computer "stuff: of all sorts. And oh btw  - if you know someone who is experienced at game building  or who might have the qualifications to build a virtual world, plz let me know. Right now first I need to get this site I am working on done but I might can find funds for the virtual world idea I have in the near future.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 09:40:07 AM »
My bosses's son took courses in virtual realities... Don't know that he still does it, or has the equipment but I could ask. 
Saw some of his stuff. Neato.

general help with computer "stuff: of all sorts
This mikogo is GREAT for computer assistance. I use it to help our neighboring company, my family and friends freely.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 11:15:51 PM »
ok found it - it was hiding .. lol Thanks I will check it out soon I appreciate the tip. Oh & If he is familar with smallworld, that is something similar to what I would like to build but the premise is entirely different and expanded from what smallworld is yet the skills to build the set up of it would probably be the same. Thanks!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 10:54:10 AM »
She will be back monday so will ask her for son's info then.... 
He may or may not be in that business anymore....  :-\
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 02:46:05 PM »
 :thankyousign: i appreciate you asking. I think with what I am hearing about the IT world and how many people are looking for work that I won't have a problem finding someone when the time comes. But if anyone can recommend a person or business, to me that is always a good way to start.  :)