Author Topic: Screen capture  (Read 21530 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Screen capture
« on: August 21, 2010, 12:52:03 PM »
For years I used PrintKey2000 for screen capture. Sweet little program.

Now I use Faststone Capture available here: http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

Why did I switch?  Simple.  This one program does so many things well, replacing several other little programs I used to use.  Very lightweight and very little drag on system resources, I am running it all the time.  XP, Vista and Win 7 compatible on 32 and 64 bit systems.
- PORTABLE!  I can take this with me to any computer I work on!  :hapscream: :TUP:
"all the required files to run the application independently from any folder you dump it in. Major advantage is that you can carry it around on a memory stick / USB flash drive, or copy / migrate from PC to PC via simple copying of files. No installation is necessary."
- Screen capture (PrintScr, Alt-PrintScr, etc for full window, menus, with without cursor, options.  Extra editing capabilities once item is captured.
The DRAW option and other editing options built-in are a great time saver! Add edges, fading, drop shadow, caption, titles, arrow, words, highlight text box, oval, overlay YOUR logo onto the image, and my favorite is the ability to blur part of the image before you save it! Simple! No extra editing software is necessary for all this!)
- Built-in FTP so you can capture, edit and send file to website quickly if needed!
- Ruler (used to use a caliper program, now all in one)
- Color Picker (used to use two other color picker programs)
- SCROLLING screen capture (get a picture of the WHOLE page, not just the window you can see. I used a plugin with Firefox to do this but did not have option in IE, but now I do.  :TUP:  Removed the Firefox plugin! The autoscroll grabs whole page and if you only need part of it, you can crop it once you grab it.)
- Screen Magnifier (only played with this option...not sure I will use/need it)
- Send image directly to your website using the built-in FTP utility!
- Screen Recorder  "allows you to record all screen activities including onscreen changes, speech from microphone, mouse movements and clicks into highly compressed video files (wmv format)." (This is interesting and will need to be looked at more closely.  May be quite nice for tutorials.)

30 day trial, then $19.95   and in my opinion, worth it!  All upgrades included with purchase. never have to pay again.  Nice feature. Glad I got it last month.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 09:38:22 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
Re: Screen capture
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 05:14:24 PM »
I have also been using PrintKey2000 for many years. I downloaded and installed Faststone Capture and will give it a try. Initial impression is very good. I especially like the scrolling feature.

Thanks for the tip Sami.

Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 07:44:48 PM »
Ya.. that is one thing that would frustrate when switching between FF and IE.
If using Firefox, I could use the plugin to get a full scrolled image, but some sites would not load w/FF.  

I thought I would not need a screen capture utility once I moved out of XP since Vista/Win 7 offer the Snip Tool.  But that thing is limited!
Can't believe it is not tied to the PrntScr button!  :banghead: :banghead:

If I had never used PrintKey, then yes the Snip tool would have offered more than the PrntScr windows option.
But having been spoiled by PrintKey for so long, I did not want to lose the abilities I had gotten used to!
Finding a program compatible with Win 7, with a good rep, no spy/scumware, no/low cost that combines the features I use most into ONE tiny program made it right for me.

FYI... I added my Xara Design Premium as the external editor so now my capture/edit screen has a button on it to send the item directly to XDP! Works great.  Also in SETTINGS, I made sure that I added the additional buttons to the editor window and to the capture bar. Makes grabbing several images in a row much faster.

The included Paint-like editor accessed with the DRAW option is sweet! Line and rectangle highlighter and elipse(no-fill) and logo overlay are EXACTLY what I need. Wish arrow had larger tip.

Glad you find it useful too.  Let us know if you end up keeping it!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:06:56 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 11:34:52 AM »
They IMPROVED it.

Improved PDF output. Now it is possible to specify Page Size, Quality, Margins and Orientation when saving in PDF format. Lengthy document is divided into multi-pages automatically

Added a tool called "Convert Images to a PDF file" to allow users to convert images to multi-page PDF file

Added "Expand Canvas" to the Draw tool

Added "Blur" to the right-click menu of the Draw tool when part of the image is selected

Assigned keyboard shortcuts to drawing tools. For example: press F1 for Text, press F2 for Straight Line, press F3 for Pencil etc.

Added an option to the Settings to allow users to specify which screen (active or all) to capture when making Full Screen Capture in multi-monitor system   (This is the one that makes ME happy)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 11:21:58 AM »
Just thought you might like to know that Windows 7 comes with a great little tool called Snipping Tool that can save a screen capture in PNG, JPG, GIF, and MHT.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 03:53:23 PM »
Thanks Ed, I was not aware of the snipping tool. Looks very useful.

Rick

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 07:58:01 PM »
Ya I tried the SNIP tool before getting my new Faststone capture.
SNIP is not tied to PrntScr button in win 7
And the Faststone capture has the scroll capture.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 06:48:10 PM »
>> software updated....  I have got to replace my copy!   :yes:   paid once....all updates remain free.   :boogie:

Version 6.8 (April 26, 2011)   :hapscream: :hapscream: :hapscream:
Improved the "Capture Scrolling Window" tool. Now it is compatible with the latest version of popular web browsers: Internet Explorer 9, FireFox 4, Chrome 10, Opera 11 and Safari 5.
Minor improvements and bug fixes

Version 6.7 (September 06, 2010) 
Improved PDF output. Now it is possible to specify Page Size, Quality, Margins and Orientation when saving in PDF format. Lengthy document is divided into multi-pages automatically
Added a tool called "Convert Images to a PDF file" to allow users to convert images to multi-page PDF file
Added "Expand Canvas" to the Draw tool
Added "Blur" to the right-click menu of the Draw tool when part of the image is selected
Assigned keyboard shortcuts to drawing tools. For example: press F1 for Text, press F2 for Straight Line, press F3 for Pencil etc.
Added an option to the Settings to allow users to specify which screen (active or all) to capture when making Full Screen Capture in multi-monitor system
Fixed minor bugs

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 09:22:05 AM »
UPDATED again.  2nd time this year!  Just keeps getting better.
Besides screen capture, you can record videos with it. And the latest version allows you to put text and arrows on those video captures.  :hapscream:  And he is making this program Win 8 compatible.  :TUP:

I use this portable program everyday in some way: web work, as teaching tool, even when learning a new job to take notes. Buy a license once, keep program for a lifetime free upgrades.  Best program purchase I have ever made and HIGHLY recommend it.

So tiny & portable, I run it from my usb stick so that no matter which computer I am working on, I have use of this program!
 :clapping: :clapping: :TUP: :TUP:

http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

CURRENT FEATURES:
    A small handy Capture Panel that provides quick access to its capture tools and output options
    Global hotkeys to activate screen capturing instantly
    Capture windows, objects, menus, full screen, rectangular/freehand regions and scrolling windows/web pages
    Capture multiple windows and objects including multi-level menus
    Record screen activities including onscreen changes, speech from microphone, mouse movements and clicks into highly compressed video files (Windows Media Video format). NEW:  A built-in video editor allows you to draw annotations and add zoom effects to video files
    Options to specify output destination (internal editor, clipboard, file, printer ...)
    Draw annotation objects such as texts, arrowed lines, highlights, watermarks, rectangles and circles
    Apply effects such as drop-shadow, frame, torn-edge and fade-edge
    Add image caption
    Resize, crop, rotate, sharpen, brighten, adjust colors ...
    Undo/Redo
    Support external editors
    Save in BMP, GIF, JPEG, PCX, PNG, TGA, TIFF and PDF formats
    Acquire images from scanner
    Convert images to multi-page PDF file
    Send captured images by email
    Send captured images to Word and PowerPoint documents
    Send captured images to a Web (FTP) server
    Screen Color Picker
    Screen Magnifier
    Screen Ruler
    Support multiple monitors
    Run when Windows starts (optional)
    Minimize to System Tray area
    Small footprint in memory
    And many more ...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 09:27:22 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 10:42:59 AM »
Wao   :ss-shocked:, thanks Sami
Most of those features were unknown for me... :TUP:
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 12:00:31 PM »
I use XARA's photo program or Paint Shop Pro for most image editing but for quick screen captures, screen recording, instructions, simple addition of text to image I use this program!  I can drag images onto the floating "capture panel" and that will open the editor.  Edges, drop shaddow, test highlighting take seconds. LOVE this program

I tried the "video edit" feature just now.  So simple and easy. Added a highlighted yellow box to a movie.

Found that if I want separate features I needed to:
1) open video file, add a highlight
2) save file
3) Open the edited file.  The highlight is now embedded as part of the movie and can not be edited again.
4) Make new edit like adding circle, square or arrow. Since this was added at different time, it can overlay the earlier edit. And have separate timing.
5) save file.
Each time you SAVE, your edits become part of the movie and can not be changed.  Keep your original movie in case you need to start over!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:13:32 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 12:20:37 PM »
 :TUP:
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 02:11:08 PM »
This FastStone Capture program has been updated again.

If you already own a license, you can upgrade for FREE. If not you can get it now for $19.95 with lifetime updates.
STILL my favorite tiny program. Use it every day that I am on the computer.

I still use the PORTABLE version so I can run it completely on my USB stick.  Can take it with me to both my laptops, to family computers, work and client machines while I am working on them. No space taken or anything left behind when I leave. LOVE IT. 
 :hearts:

CURRENT FEATURES:  (for: WinXP, Vista, Win7, Win8, 32 and 64 bit systems)
A small handy Capture Panel that provides quick access to its capture tools and output options
    Global hotkeys to activate screen capturing instantly
    Capture windows, objects, menus, full screen, rectangular/freehand regions and scrolling windows/web pages
    Capture multiple windows and objects including multi-level menus
    Record screen activities including onscreen changes, speech from microphone, mouse movements and clicks into highly compressed video files (Windows Media Video format). A built-in video editor allows you to draw annotations, apply zoom effects and cut unwanted sections
    Options to specify output destination (internal editor, clipboard, file, printer ...)
    Draw annotation objects such as texts, arrowed lines, highlights, watermarks, rectangles and circles
    Apply effects such as drop-shadow, frame, torn-edge and fade-edge
    Add image caption
    Resize, crop, rotate, sharpen, brighten, adjust colors ...
    Undo/Redo
    Support external editors
    Save in BMP, GIF, JPEG, PCX, PNG, TGA, TIFF and PDF formats
    Acquire images from scanner
    Convert images to multi-page PDF file
    Send captured images by email
    Send captured images to Word and PowerPoint documents
    Send captured images to a Web (FTP) server
    Screen Color Picker
    Screen Magnifier
    Screen Ruler
    Support multiple monitors
    Support touch interface (tap, swipe, pinch)
    Run when Windows starts (optional)
    Minimize to System Tray area
    Small footprint in memory
    And many more ...

:TUP: :hapscream: :TUP: :hapscream:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 03:15:22 PM »
Wao... I have been using it for years and, like my brain, it is obvious that I only use less than 10% of it...  :-[

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
Oh My... The only program I use more than FastStone Capture is FireFox.   :hearts:

I LOVE the ability to add notes, circle, arrow and highlight.
Even simple blurring of image details so you can send a pic without your password or other sensitive info.   And capture a full LONG webpage picture using the scrolling option.  :TUP:

I like ability to set the file name automatically...date included, or numbered order, etc so all images are in order.

And the recording option has come in really handy for training/meetings online.

I drag existing pics on the floating toolbar and it opens the basic editor.
Even though I have Adobe CS4 with Photoshop, Paintshop Pro and Xara's Design Pro software, FastStone Capture is my favorite "quickie".

I even can take a screenshot, make notes, then FTP that modified image to samisite in one quick option, all from the same tiny program.  I did this in a couple minutes all from FastStone Capture.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 04:18:04 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 01:31:18 PM »
A new update came out!   Time to upgrade again, ALWAYS FREE to anyone that buys the program.   Just keeps getting better.

FastStone Capture is great.

(I use the PORTABLE VERSION on my USB STICK on just about any computer I use!   :hearts: :TUP: :clapping:)

Version 7.6 (July 26, 2013)

- Added "Screen Crosshair". It displays two full-screen intersecting lines (crosshair) on the screen with a magnifier showing the details of the area around the mouse pointer. You may find it helpful to align screen objects, compare chart or tabular data and underline the text you are reading.
- Added "Join Images Side by Side". You can use it to combine multiple images into a single image file
-  Added option "Show resizing handles on image borders" to the Settings (in Editor tab). By dragging the resizing handles, you can remove unwanted borders or add blank space to the image easily and precisely
- Added option "Copy captured image to Clipboard automatically" to the Settings (in Capture tab). Check this option if you want to send a copy of the captured image to Windows Clipboard automatically every time you make a screen capture
- Added a "Reset" button to the Settings window so you can reset your settings to their default values
- Improved "Video Editor"
        Added "Step Forward" and "Step Backward" for navigation between video frames
        Fixed a bug: some part of video frames are black when viewed in the video editor
- Improved "Screen Ruler"
- Other minor improvements and bug fixes

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 04:27:10 AM »
A new update came out!   Time to upgrade again.
  UPGRADES ALWAYS FREE to anyone that buys the program.   Just keeps getting better.

FastStone Capture is great.

(I use the PORTABLE VERSION on my USB STICK on just about any computer I use!   :hearts: :TUP: :clapping:)

Version 7.7 (February 07, 2014)
  - Now you can use drag-and-drop to move (copy when Ctrl key is down) selected area
  - Added two new selection methods
  - Added Undo/Redo buttons on the menu bar of the editor
  - Added Spotlight effect

I use this program more than nearly all programs on my computer.
So many options you may forget them...so here's a few to refresh...
  - Gamma, contrast, brightness and more adjustments under the COLORS item on the menu bar.
  - Effects options include putting a reflection or edge, or even a watermark on your image.
  - Draw allows you to INSERT an image, draw, look at the L option to draw a segmented line and ERASE to clear a portion of the image.

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 03:28:43 PM »
Hmm, I am still using PrintKey 2000! Maybe I should take a look at FastStone Capture.  :thinking:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 10:37:26 PM »
Omg!  That stopped working for me years ago.  It was a good practical item. And I really liked it.  When it became incompatible, I was heart broken. And the windows SNIP tool is a joke for anyone that used PrintKey.

But really, I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS PROGRAM.  Never said that about PrintKey.

Basic photo editing, drag a picture onto the floating toolbar to open it in the editor, movies, color selector eye dropper, ruler, scrolling screen grab (as long as the page is),
......so much more.......
Best: portability. I get the portable version, put in on my stick and use it on win xp, vista, 7, and 8!  No matter where I go, no matter what software the client has, I have MY tool for screen captures, notes. Nothing gets installed, and goes with me.

Scroll down to see a sample image I marked up with it in seconds. 
Can do far more than that shows!

Download, use the FREE TRIAL.  See what you think.  (Tell print key to not start up when windows does so it can release the print key button and not interfere)
I KNOW you will love it.  Purchase once for $20, free upgrades. 

My all-time favorite, most used software for years...
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 04:13:07 PM »
OK, I will give it a try.

BTW, I have no problem at all in using Printkey with Win 7 - works fine.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 10:20:02 PM »
My PrintKey was not compatible as far back as xp.  It even died on my moms xp after a windows update a while back.  Maybe we had different versions.  I have a friend that used it on vista for a while, then switched to FastStone Capture for the scrolling image and movies. :)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 03:39:26 PM »
My PrintKey is still working well on both XP and Win7. I like its simplicity, which is why I have not been motivated to switch to anything else yet.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »
faststone capture is just as simplistic as print key.  i know what you mean....printkey just print screen and done.  dont blame you.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2015, 11:12:08 PM »
December 19th 2014 another update.  I finally grabbed it.   
All updates are FREE to anyone that buys a license.  :TUP:
FastStone Capture:  http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

All the previous features PLUS...
-- Added animated GIF converter to the screen video editor. This allows you to convert your screen videos to animated gif files, which are supported by most web browsers  (so Apple devices can show the animated image!)
-- Now you can drag and move the yellow control bar for screen video recording
-Samantha