SPECIAL TOPICS > Website Building - Best Practices

FAVICON: icon on address bar

(1/9) > >>

goodtogo:
Sorry to post on this thread but I can't gigure out how to start a topic. What's that little icon in the url window called? I'm drawing a total blank. And is there a link to the code somewhere around here?

Samrc:
FAVICON!

Info from OLD GS board and new notes added:

Recently on another thread concerning BOOKMARKING the page, there was a complete discussion of Favicons and their uses. I combined responses here into one:

FROM RICK:
The icon you want to implement is called a "favicon" (favorites icon I guess). It is easy to implement. You will find how to do it on KW's site here

FROM SAMANTHA:
The Favicon is a small image that is stored in an ICO format, personally I really love the free program Irfanview for making them. Simple as FILE SAVE AS and choosing the .ico format from the drop down list! Usually the image is 32x32 pixels (or some favicon generators make 16x16 images)

File must be named favicon.ico in lowercase, no caps!

Once you have the image, you use either a file manager or FTP program to upload the image to your MAIN DIRECTORY of your website where your index.html page (home page) is. Need info on FTP Check out this page
(When using CSB, DO NOT put the favicon into an insert HTML to upload it to your website. IT will NOT work.)
Some people ALSO place a piece of code at the top of the page in an insert HTML. Most modern browsers DO NOT NEED code and will automatically search for the favicon.ico file without extra instruction, but if you want it, here's the code. DO NOT CHANGE IT!  There are 3 versions of the code.  I recommend you put all three in since there is not a consensus for which is BEST for ALL browsers:

<link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
<link REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://yoursite.com/favicon.ico">

If your visitor has bookmarked BEFORE you made a favicon, then the link did not pull it in. Usually it is necessary to delete that bookmark close all browser windows, then come back in and re-bookmark.

HOWEVER, favicons are finicky. Those folks might actually get the icon without doing anything further. And some people that get the bookmark & favicon working fine may LOSE the favicon when they clear temp internet files.

Favicons are stored in TEMPORARY INTERNET FOLDER for IE and will be lost when that folder is cleared. BUT the pesky little images are stored in a separate place for FireFox so folks using that browser will not "lose" your image!

Want to see the favicon after you put it in place?
  delete your bookmark/favorite entry for that site/webpage
  close internet explorer
  reopen
  bookmark/save to favorites again.
  close internet explorer
  reopen and look at your favorites.

If it does not appear now then you have not put the favicon.ico (must be named like that) in the right place on your site (must be in you main directory stored with your home page), or have not created it properly.

As mentioned, favicons are FINICKY and sometimes just will not work.   But I still use them!

goodtogo:
Thanks. Hope this finds you doing well. Is starting new topics disabled?

goodtogo:
never mind. Found it on the tabs up there on the right. Guess I'm just not used to this forum software.  :D

You a football fan? Tony Romo?

goodtogo:
It has to be saved as a .ico? I don't have that choice in photoshop or image ready?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version