Author Topic: My 55 Word Story  (Read 8003 times)

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
My 55 Word Story
« on: February 07, 2008, 06:51:17 PM »
This is kind of fun.. easy rules.. write anything you want but it can only contain 55 words. It can be fictional or real and you can write as many times as you want when the mood strikes.. lol

Here is one from me for starters:

I was just signing off to go to bed, when suddenly I heard a noise outside of my window. I listened carefully as the crunching sound came closer. My pounding heart felt like it would jump out of my chest when it's bloody head appeared to stare in at me. It screamed, LET ME IN!
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: My 55 Word Story
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 10:19:36 PM »
Wait.....let me understand....is this one long continuous story to which we each contribute pieces?
Do we add to your original story, continuing the same plot, with our own variation like a soap opera/horror/scifi/romance/drama/story all rolled into one?

Or do we have our own little 55 word story about anything we want?  I don't understand!

[Edited:  now it has exactly 55 words....!]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 10:12:12 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 12:50:34 AM »
If you had added four more words you would have had your first 55 word story  rofl

It doesn't matter.. make up your own fiction..... expand on what someone else writes.. .. write something real that is going on... a poem.. anything as long as each entry is 55 words.. :) (LIKE THIS ONE IS counting the 55s)  :yes: :D

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 03:10:11 AM »
I was just sitting here thinking about what Valentines Day means to me and thought I would drop in and share it with you here. Tomorrow I will have cleaning day as usual and hope that at best I might get Chinese food brought home instead of the usual cleaning day Kentucky Fried Chicken. Sigh.

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 03:12:28 PM »
Where does the 55 number come from? Is there a significance to the figure 55 or maybe it is just arbitrarily sufficient to make a story. When I was a kid the stories used to start with "once upon a time...". Well lets see is that 55 words? No, they add to fifity four.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 08:02:44 PM »
The Fifty Five words came from a writing exercise that a myspace author came up with. It became a popular blog and pass around item. It has transcended the “Once Upon A Time” type of story telling and grown to include anything one wants to post as long as it is exactly fifty five words.

:surfsup:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 10:21:16 AM »
If you have WORD on your computer, you can turn on the WORD COUNT toolbar.  Click TOOLS, Word Count, then Show Toolbar.  At any point you can click to recount: words, paragraphs, lines, characters.  Then once you get to 55, copy and paste your note to the forum.  FAST and Easy way to 55 words.   
 :D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 11:29:05 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 11:24:06 AM »
That is sort of how I do it Sammy, except I don’t turn it on I just type a few sentences that I think are about fifty five words and run a word count on it. Then I add a few or take away a few to get it to equal the fifty five words.

:surfsup:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 11:03:50 AM »
These past few weeks have been very trying for me on the technical front: server giving fits, the email system needed to be expanded, a couple older computer units are being held together with duct tape and paperclips (not really!), and since windows did an update back in November, my machine has been very crabby. 
:banghead: :surrender: :banghead:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 03:35:19 AM »
Speaking of cabby machines after a Windows update, one of our machines has had the same problem since November. After battling for almost 2 months, in Jan we decided to reformat and reinstall from the CD and re-update. Same problem! So we reformatted and reinstalled again but switched updates off. The machine is working fine again.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 09:26:18 PM »
Oh No!  Quick! Close the windows and doors.  It’s back again!  That awful stench.  Death.  Foul rotten death.  Or rotting sewage.  Don’t let that smell in the house.  Don’t allow it to permeate your home!  Months of this, and finally the source is known. I can’t believe it.
Please check out my newest neighbors! BLECH!   :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:34:25 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 04:11:15 PM »
Wow sorry to hear that Sammy! I haven’t thought of buzzards in years and suddenly they are coming up everywhere. I wrote an article about them after taking a quiz to find out what my power bird is just to discover it is a Vulture. You can take the quiz here if you like: http://www.blogthings.com/whatsyourpowerbirdquiz/