Author Topic: CBS Help  (Read 3339 times)

Offline hidden

• ???
CBS Help
« on: October 10, 2009, 12:16:19 AM »
I have been using CSB for the past 10 years and of course know it's no longer supported. I've just bought a new computer and found I couldn't transfer the files over as something was missing. I presume it's because the new one is Vista and not XP. Anyway, I really need to revamp the whole web site and was wondering what program you would suggest? I like the WYSIWYG type of programs but as I've only ever used the one, I'm not sure what to do. The existing site address is www.thaaopenghlis.com if you want to have a look to get some ideas.

Thanks so much.
Regards,
Lee

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: CBS Help
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 02:03:27 AM »
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!   :welsign:

You CAN use CSB 4 or 5 (you are using 4) on Vista.  It will work.  Working for MANY people.
If you want to continue with CSB for a bit longer you can do so while testing out other software.

Copying the program files and placing them on your Vista machine is not enough.
You DEFINITELY need to install fresh.
Anyone that owns a version of CSB can redownload it directly from GlobalSCAPE. http://www.globalscape.com/support/csb.aspx
Be sure to download the same version of the program that you already own (since you have version 4, don't download version 5).
That file will give you the original installation file that comes with a 30 day trial.
You will still need your serial number to unlock the program permanently.

The program needs to be installed with administrator rights.

You did not describe your SPECIFIC issue. Yes you said it "had something missing".  Probably means that the program will not publish/preview, but you did not say what you are doing and what the program does, in order of events.  For best advice, I need to know what is happening.  Example:  when I click ___ the program locks up, closes, gives me an error which is (___).  Take me step by step through what you see. I change this, save, click that, get this response, etc.

Having said that, I will tell you the most often reported problem people have with CSB/Vista is the PREVIEW issue, which needs to be resolved before you can publish.
1) Go into your my docs folder and make a folder to hold your web previews.  Call it WEBPREVIEW if you want.
2) PUBLISH > OPTIONS > HTML DIRECTORY.  
3) Check off box for SAVE COPY OF EXPORTED HTML LOCALLY.
4) Use the BROWSE button  to go to the WEBPREVIEW folder, then in the second field fill in a name of a folder to hold THIS website (if you have more than one website this becomes very important!).
5) Say Ok then try to PREVIEW the site.
This should cause CSB and WINDOWS to work together. Don't try to publish until you have previewed once first.
Then once you are successful, you can UNCHECK that LOCAL HTML BOX and publish.
Since you did not tell me specifics, I don't know that is YOUR issue but it should be tried.
Good Luck.

As to other software, the main page of this forum lists MANY website building software that people have tried.  Some of the comments about the programs have been posted. The most popular one has been site spinner.  It comes with a free trial so you might want to give it a spin.   We support CSB and those other programs too....
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )