Author Topic: A mouse is not JUST a mouse!  (Read 11048 times)

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
A mouse is not JUST a mouse!
« on: June 20, 2007, 12:44:21 AM »
My precious little  :schip: kept getting herself tangled in my favorite mouse cord - the dell laser that came with my computer. It was plugged into a usb port on the front of my hard drive because the cord wouldn't reach if I plugged it under my desk on the hub and ran it through the cord hole on the back of my desk.

Anywho - so finally she broke it a couple of days ago as it often got jerked out when she backed away from the tangle she created around her legs. Not to mention all of the times it went flying off of the desk top and onto the floor - or her head - as she tried to free herself from the jumble.

I was lucky I had one I could borrow from my hub for a few days - an el-cheapo no name brand regular ball mouse that I instantly hated. It was clunky and the tiniest thing on my desk got stuck on the sticky pad areas as well as on the edges of the labels on the bottom of it. And of course the dog entanglement problem didn't improve. The graphics I was recently trying to edit were the last straw because it was so jerky that I found it excruciatingly tedious to manipulate some of the editing functions.

So, today I went out in the heavy rains and lightening storms to buy a new mouse. Since there are no Mice Are Us stores I picked Walmart because the one near me has a lot of selections.  I finally narrowed it down to two choices. I nicely opened the boxes to check the ergonomics and found a clear winner in the Microsoft wireless laser over the Logitech that was on sale. It installed easy enough. The wireless transmitter worked out going through the back of my desk and I loooooove that my dog's constant entanglements and my subsequent frustrations with it are over. But oh my gosh, this thing takes off like a rocket. It will take me a while to get used to it and the slightest move sends me flying off the screen.  :ss-shocked: And although twice I have stumbled on the magnifying feature - one that really sold me in the store - I still haven't figured out where it is because looking at the box, instructions and on line help don't tell me a thing about where it is. Oh they mention how to click it and so forth but they don't ever actually point at it and say HERE IS THE MAGNIFYING CONTROL BUTTON. ( Is it any wonder I am having trouble understanding my forum backups and MYSQL data base?) 

But I'm not afraid of a little mouse and I will prevail over this one -- hmmm I was just thinking that Tara's breed was originally bred to be a ratter  ... maybe thats why she kept finding my other mouse.. if this one doesn't settle down soon I might just have to sick her on it!

A mouse I say a mouse! I have to laugh because I would have never thought I would be having confusion over a mouse or have to practice with one to get it down.  LOL
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
Re: A mouse is not JUST a mouse!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 05:16:17 AM »
A wireless mouse is great!
You should be able to tone down the speed in the control panel > mouse options.
look for pointer options > pointer speed.
-turtle

treasure your pets   :turtleblink:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 09:15:44 AM »
I have wired mouse at work.  We use the microsoft basic laser mice that OfficeDepot puts on sale for $10 every now and then. Fit feminine hands well (not to big and tall), last a long time and are cheap to replace...

At home I have had 3 wireless mice. 
The first one was a battery HOG.  Constantly had to change it out. (You'll know when the mouse starts acting strangely...skipping, stalling, jumping and there is nothing to interfere with laser).

The second was wireless but did NOT require a battery!
I had a wired mouse pad and the mouse worked on that mouse pad.
Worked  fine for over a year then the pad started to get warn in some areas, and mouse did not work as well in those areas.

On my third standard wireless at home. So far, so good. :luck:

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 02:47:03 PM »
Thanks Turtle --  :D Although I am almost used to it now with only minor over adjustments in my wrist action. But I will check out the speed options. See I didn't even know there were any! I think using the clunky ball mouse for a few days was the worst cause of me not being able to judge it correctly. I had to drag that thing half way across the desk to get to the end of the screen - lol just kidding but not by too much.

Well it looks like I am getting up to speed on the mouse tech. I never realized I was so low mouse tech before lol

I didn't see one of those lower price ones Sam - sounds like I could have saved myself 38.00 mine was 48. Now that I have figured out where the zoom is I think that might be of some real time saving help on the graphic work and looking at image details on line. We will see because where they put it on the right side of the mouse is sort of a bad spot since I tend to hit it while moving the mouse. Like anything else I guess it will just take some getting used to. Thanks again for the tips. :-)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 04:43:53 PM »
(The lower prices was WIRED!)

Lots of adjustments on the wireless mice, tracking speed, click speed, calibrations for drag, pointer trails or not, pointer options, center scroll and/or side button settings to assign use (zoom by line, by page, etc).

Mouse options = FUN to experiment with!
Mouse without tail is great!  Freeing!  Lovely when someone is sitting beside you and you need to pass the mouse to them to use!!!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 07:15:11 PM »
With a lap desk and mouse pad and wireless mouse
you can do a lot with limited mobility.
-turtle

treasure your pets   :turtleblink:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 09:30:55 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the touch pad and prefer to use a mini mouse with my laptop...
and have considered getting a wireless mini mouse so I don't have to deal with the cord on it... :-[
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 10:26:14 PM »
Well I guess a touch pad is also a mouse cousin right? I love the built in touch pad keyboard I have on my older Dell but it won't work on XP PRO so that is one reason I might not be so mouse illiterate - for years I didn't use one and found moving to one very odd and un-natural for me. If I could find a keyboard with a touch pad that works on xp pro and is wireless to boot -- now that would be mouse heaven!!!

I haven't looked for a couple of months but didn't find any last check.

Its funny how every one likes different things - I guess that is what makes the world go around.

Good point turtle! I hadn't thought of that for the mobility challenged.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 10:34:59 PM by SafariWoman »

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 05:42:21 AM »
I have a wireless MS optical intelimouse that has a USB base station but don't use it because there seems to be a delay when it is moved before the pointer on the screen moves so I use a Log*tech wired mouse instead and am very happy with it. I tried a friends wireless optical (also MS) and it also has a delay. I than tested a demo wireless Log*tech laser mouse on my notebook in the shop and it seems to be OK but I'm not sure and it's quite expensive. I'm not convinced laser technology is so good and would appreciate it if someone using one could let me know any good or bad feedback or what they think.

Thanks,
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 09:40:48 AM »
If you have, say, shoulder problems from repetitive motion strain or something similar, they can be helpful because you can get the same result with much less movement. (They might be able to prevent the problems - I'm afraid it's too late for me to find that out.) You can adjust the speed - is it possible the ones you tried had the speed turned down? In my experience, the speed tends to be scary if you're not used to it, rather than too slow.

I've looked at the Adesso keyboards with built-in touchpads for sake of the shoulder problems, but I do so much with graphics (PowerPoint at work, image editing programs at home) and I'm afraid a touchpad wouldn't have the control I'd need for that. Has anyone used them enough to know how they work with that?

--ETA: I don't know if Adesso's work with XP; I'll have to check. I know some of them need a special adaptor to be used with a USB port, so are a bit behind technology-wise.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 09:48:44 AM by tgshaw »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 10:22:21 AM »
I'm not a fan of touch pads. But love working with a PEN for graphic work.
I have a GRAPHIRE tablet and pen (I had an AIPTEK tablet until moving up to winxp).
Easier to hold and be more precise than a mouse.
You can use the pen as a mouse too.  Less movement, more abilities.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 11:39:51 PM »
TOUCH PAD KEYBOARD: I did lots and lots of graphic work with my touch pad and I loved it. I got used to it I guess but it did feel natural for me pretty much from the get-go. What I like is the small amount of hand movement from keyboard to touch pad. Not having to move away from the board after a command prompt to grab a mouse or a pen saved me so much time and kept me flowing. I have not duplicated the speed in which I accomplished things with that touch pad with any mouse yet. I did very detailed work as well.

So I will be checking to see if the keyboard that you mentioned works with xp? The best of both worlds would be to have both. I miss my pad and when I work on the old computer or my laptop I always get upset I can't have one on the new computer.

WIRELESS MOUSE: I now really really love my wireless mouse and have not even adjusted the settings to slow it down as I adjusted instead. No more doggy tangles. Its always where I want it. I can stand behind someone or to the side and still use it conveniently and the list goes on. I think its great and would recommend it to anyone.

PEN: I might buy a pen to try it Sam and if so I will come back to this post and check out the one that you like since I know if its more than two weeks from now I will have forgotten already.  ??? Thanks for mentioning it. I tried pens on other people's computers related to specific projects before but didn't fall instantly in love with the ones I used. But the technology that would suit me could be out there now - that was over a year ago. Some of my graphic artist associates use different ones - so all the input helps but also confuses - I'd probably have to give one a test drive.

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 07:35:25 PM »
From what I can see, the keyboards with built-in touch pads work with XP (not with Vista, though). Here are a couple of links -

http://www.adesso.us/dept.asp
(BTW, they also have a wireless mouse for $14.99 and an optical one for $19.99.)

http://www.ergonomicsmadeeasy.com/index.asp

That second one is new to me. If you browse on the site enough, there are some good tips for both working on the computer and for what equipment is best for you. I learned that I'm better off ergonomically not using a split keyboard, and (one that really surprised me!) not using a left-handed keyboard. In fact, a lot of right-handers are buying left-handed keyboards because they're ergonomically better for them.

Haven't decided what if anything to buy, but it was interesting.

I don't think the pen is for me. I can't draw and have horrible handwriting. :yuck:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 11:36:26 PM »
I can't draw either. Used to be married to a guy with TONS of drawing talent and absolutely none of it wore off on me over the many years!  ;)  The tablet and pen are used for EDITING not really drawing.

Cool site. Will need to wander through it a bit more...
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 11:49:06 PM »
I will def check out th esite! Thanks! What types of things do you edit with it Sam? Or maybe I should ask, on what programs?

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 09:12:57 AM »
After I posted yesterday, I thought maybe I should have explained the right/left-handed thing. It's not a wicked plot by keyboard manufacturers, but came about because computer keyboards were not originally designed for using with a mouse. Because computers were used so much for data entry, the number pad was put on the right so most people would be using it with their dominant hand. But now almost everyone uses a mouse more than they use the number pad, and people mousing with their right hand and using a right-handed keyboard have to stretch pretty far off to the right for the mouse. Ergonomically, you want the mouse to be as close to the center as possible. Since I mouse left-handed, a right-handed keyboard lets me have the mouse closer to the center than would a left-handed keyboard, which puts the number pad on the left. Vice-versa for people who mouse right-handed.

(Left-handers are probably more interested in this kind of thing than right-handers, but this is the first time I can remember having a general-population product that's actually good for left-handers. So this time the right-handers can go spend the extra money for a specialty product. :kickdancing: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 09:38:22 AM »
What types of things do you edit with it Sam? Or maybe I should ask, on what programs?
I use the tablet with PSP, Xara and other drawing/image/graphic software (I have SEVERAL!) to modify/edit images and to create new designs from scratch.  I am creative and can design, but would never say I can draw.  I have a talent for FIXING images, making collages, modifiying images both seriously and in silly fashion and the tablet/pen combo works well for this, though I use a regular mouse just about as often. 

The pen/tablet can actually be used as a full-time mouse. For a while, I used my pen with my AIPTEK tablet as my standard mouse, but eventually went back to a standard mouse. 

For me, it's actually easier to create on a computer screen than with paper and pencil/pen and takes far less actual artistic SKILL. The programs have wonderful built-in tools (shapes that can be adjusted, shading that can be applied, etc) that can actually help an artistically challenged person to achieve some very lovely results that may not be achieved the manual way. True it takes time to learn the tools and develop the skill to use the tools well, but that is totally DIFFERENT than the ability to just sit down and draw an apple or dog, or face on a piece of paper, which I can not do.  I am far better at learning COMPUTER skills that help me to draw.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 05:35:20 PM »
Samantha - I'm the same way regarding art on the computer vs. by hand. That's really why using a pen seemed strange to me. I was assuming it can only be a pen. Can it use all the brush tips, etc., in the graphics programs?

I think that's why I got hooked on the graphics - first time in my life I've ever been able to make something pretty! (Although what comes out at the end isn't necessarily what I had in mind at the beginning. :) )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 09:39:01 PM »
TG - Thanks for explaining about the left handed key board - that is why I like the pad so much. The lesser reach between the two elements of keyboard and mouse. I never thought about the left handed key board but just now when I pretended my number key was over there it felt so darn odd!! Not that I use it a lot but enough that I probably won't be switching to a left hander anytime soon.

Thanks for the answer Sam, that is what I was wondering if it was typical graphic software that you mostly used it for rather than as a mouse all of the time. I would guess that the extra time to pick up the pen and adjust your hand to use it that way would be more time than is worth any advantage of a pen in word, web building or data programs. My own experience was with graphic programs only.

I feel lucky because I can draw, sketch and paint on paper as well as on the computer and at first I found using the computer for art very unnatural and thought I wouldn't ever like it or ever get the hang of it. But with the need for certain types of things presenting themselves, the challenge to create them on the computer presented itself as well and I kind of had no choice but to figure it out or pay someone to do it for me. Being on MY budget - figuring it out was the best choice. I don't know if my hand to paper skills help or hurt and I still do that type of thing for the enjoyment of it especially when I am on vacation.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 09:31:03 AM »
I was assuming it can only be a pen. Can it use all the brush tips, etc., in the graphics programs?

Absolutely. :yes:  And SOME of the programs react to the PRESSURE you put on the pen just like a brush or chalk, etc.  So if you start a line barely touching the pad and continue with more pressure, the line starts faintly and gets thicker and heavier as you push on it.  The wacom graphire I have is the entry level pad ($99) with only 512 levels of pressure sensitivity.  The next step up, intuos, has 1024 levels and has more features ($329). My old pad, from AIPTEK, was far larger and had more options, closer to the intuos, but it would not work with XP so I had to move over to wacom. Wacom is the leader in the pen/tablet market.

I feel lucky because I can draw, sketch and paint on paper as well as on the computer
That would be wonderful. I paint ceramics and things like that and am very good at it. But could not paint a picture to save my life!   
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2007, 01:56:15 AM »
RATS!!! I am having a problem with my new MOUSE!

Apparently it is causing my screen saver not to automatically kick on. Around the time I installed the mouse I had turned off the screen saver to do some maintenance things over the course of a few days. And then last week it dawned on me that the screen saver wasn't working but I thought I had just failed to turn it back on after the maintenance. No, it was on.. I tried a few things and it still wouldn't come on. Tonight I remembered I installed the mouse around the last time it was functioning and searched out a possible connection and sure enough I found links mentioning the problem and eventually this.. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913405

SO! Now I am trying to decide if I want to change the setting or not. I am going to research it further to find out how the change might affect my programs. I do have a dell computer so one of the exact things it says could be the cause would make sense to be the problem. That being the PCMService.exe function. OK so, grrrrrrr!!!!  :banghead: I need the screen saver and occasionally the password to resume feature especially, so I guess I will try it when I get up the courage after I have further read to be sure nothing weird will happen that I don't want. I know I can roll my computer back if it doesn't work but man oh man I wish I had thought to search out conflicts before I bought this particular model. I never think of things like that -- you can bet I will in the future. I am posting in the event that this might help one person to choose a different mouse and avoid the problem. I haven't checked to see if other models are known for conflicts so buyer beware.

( And I was really warming up to my new little buddy too! )   

:v8slap:

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2007, 04:21:56 AM »
OK after working all night I took another read and found below the work arounds something I missed, a resolution.. so I followed that link to the download page and so far so good. Easier than I thought - or so I think! lol

Still, yet another lesson learned.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2007, 08:04:45 AM »
 :clapping:  Reading the whole thing is important. :clapping:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2007, 03:18:38 PM »
lol Sam, this has been a week of missing important things when I am reading... that is about the third or fourth important thing I have skimmed through and missed entirely to my own avail.  :-\  ???

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2007, 06:44:17 PM »
Then I will tell you what I tell 2 people I work with:
SLOW DOWN!

They skim, assume and screw up.  If they took just another 2 minutes, they would have seen the customer fax did not want something shipped to their standard addy, but use THIS ADDY instead, or the customer faxed an order with instructions to use THIS CARD instead of the one on file this time, etc...

We are all in a hurry to get as much done as possible. But take a breath now and then.  It'll do a body good. :yes:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2007, 08:14:22 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up on this, Wanda. I'd been thinking about getting a wireless mouse - but I'd die (and so would half of one of my websites) if I couldn't use PowerDVD! :ss-shocked:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2007, 11:03:51 AM »
Trudy.... You CAN use your wireless AND Power DVD.  :yes:

Wanda just looked at one of the workarounds that MS provided.
Then when she looked further down the page, MS provided a FIX that allows you to use both!

So if you are interested in a wireless, do it. :yes:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 11:55:23 PM »
Yes go for it! I love the wireless! and for the resolution - so far so good - I don't know why they didn't just put the resolution first an the work arounds after -- why would anyone choose to work around it rather than just resolve it??

You are right Sam and I came back from traveling with a new attitude - "NO - I don't have time to do that right now" - has newly become a regular part of my vocabulary. BUT - of course I am still paying the piper for all of the things I already committed to and when every minute I save goes on the end of the about 4 hours of sleep I otherwise have time for every night until those commitments have been filled, I tend to take every short cut I can find. I think its more than going fast though - some times I just have so many other stressful things on my mind that my for real bit of dyslexia kicks in. Its not like regular dyslexia, it is due to a night that I experienced two head injuries some years ago. Thank goodness I am soooo hard headed!!!  rofl But ever since then I occasionally have these days that go by where things get scrambled -- (Oh my goodness I would be considered an idiot on these days without spell check!!) Most of the time I am OK but I have to keep it in mind that some days without warning, I won't be 100% -- luckily I am prepared to give 200% on my good days to make up for it!  :D Looking at a few things that happened over the last week, I believe I am going through one of those phases. Sooo, if I ever seem a bit off well then please forgive me and expect that it will pass and I will soon be back to normal what ever that is.  LOL ???

? LAMRON EB YHW

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 08:39:25 AM »
[Hey Wanda... Have a few hours each week that are not my best  One time I spent an entire hour trying to take a written essay test and for the life of me, I could not spell the word "that". And just about every sentence I wanted to write needed "that" word! Kept sounding it out...could not spell it! So no worries. We all get those moments and hours... Let's hope they don't stretch to days and weeks! ;)]
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 02:04:50 PM »
OH my gosh Sam! lol I can hardly imagine that happening to YOU. Wow - you mean it isn't just me? I wonder whats going on with those signals in our minds when things like this happen? I'm already into the weeks area at times but now if it goes on for months and years then I will be worried -- that is if I know to worry lol In which case I guess it wouldn't matter anyway.  LOL

I do feel better thanks for sharing -- maybe many if not most people have things like this happen but just won't admit it,, YEAH THAT'S IT ... or so I will pretend today.  :yes:

Again thanks for sharing - sometimes it does bother me to think maybe I am just loosing it altogether ,... and I am not THAT old yet lol ..   :hearts:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2007, 04:40:18 PM »
It's called "SOMETIMERS":  only happens sometimes!

It happens to me when I get tired.  I can laugh about "that" word now but at the time, it was like I had a hole in my brain and "that" word was missing!  Kinda freaky. Embarrassing too!  :-[   Shoulda heard me telling the professor about not being able to spell "that".   :-[ He said I was just over-stressed and offered to give me an verbal test instead, but only if I was willing to take it immediately after class (so I could not study further or get answers).  Half an hour later, I had passed just fine.  I knew the material well and could articulate it. Just had a brain fart and luckily I had someone "that" understood!

Glad I could share.  And YES, it does happen to other people too, whether they admit it or not.  I have foibles and for the most part am not too ashamed by them.
-Samantha