Author Topic: Mobile browsers  (Read 29112 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Mobile browsers
« on: January 12, 2009, 09:30:52 PM »
Thought we should start a new section specifically for the MOBILE generation.
Though the use of mobile web is still only about 5% of the viewing audience, it is expected to rise. (Laptop magazine, 2008)  Most mobile communication is for email and texting, not web viewing.

BROWSERS being used:

SAFARI
Looks like the web, but not everything is supported.  Includes built-in flash 7 support
zoom built-in for better viewing.
Used on Iphone and Itouch mp3 players

Internet Explorer Mobile
Web pages are broken into pieces, columns, page is not shown as complete. 
Does NOT look like the web.  Clumsy. 
Used on phones and pdas with Windows mobile 5 & 6 mobile edition.
Flash and many script options are not supported so some things may not function or show as blank areas.

Skyfire
Free browser application that looks and feels like the REAL web! 
Flash, Javascript, Youtube, Facebook, all supported.   Full zoom capabilities.
Load Skyfire on Windows Mobile (version 5 or 6) or newer Symbian Series 60 phones

=======================
My preference:
1. skyfire  :hearts:, 2. safari  :D, 3. IE mobile  :) 

- I HATE using my IE mobile browser on my phone.  :yuck:  But that's what came on it.
- I have used the safari browser on an itouch mp3 player (2nd gen) and was surprised and pleased that the web was a far nicer place to browse. Some things just aren't supported but that's ok...
- Then I was sent a get well card (been really sick).  Couldn't see FLASH on my phone so I went to read up on what to do about it.  I have Win Mobile 6 on an HTC Mogul from Sprint.  Big fat phone with sliding keyboard. HUGE thing but hey...it does the job.  I read up on skyfire on a forum for my phone.  MANY people use it and recommend it. Took me 3 tries to get the download but finally did and WOW!   :boogie:
Take a look at the demo on the skyfire.com website. 
This application changes the MOBILE world completely!   I AM IMPRESSED!!!

I visited several sites that I use frequently and found this browser better than the Safari, which is much better than the IE mobile. The corner curl on Samisite.com curls down like the real website, flash works and I can see youtube for the first time! And amazingly fast too. I have not tried to post to the forum with it yet, but will soon.
If they expand this app, it could become the only internet browser!  And we would not have to design for different sizes!

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
Re: Mobile browsers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:32:47 AM »
Samantha, I fully agree with you to have a new section specifically for mobile websites. I believe this will be the fastest-growing section of web design. It would be great if Samisite forum could develop a reputation for offering special help in this area.

I think Site Spinner could be a part of this, since it is specifically designed to produce BOTH regular and mobile sites, in such a way that the browser detects which site to access.

Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 08:26:02 AM »
Could be.  Or not.  If this SKYFIRE browser catches on for cell phones, mobile equipment in general, we would not need to have special MOBILE type sites.  Take a look at the demo.  I put it on my phone and it DOES work the way they show on the demo.  Amazing.  No reason to have a special version of the website if you have a browser like that available.  And the browser installation file is only 520kb!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:51:57 AM »
I've been using Opera which seems to be faster than IE on my device.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 11:04:56 AM »
anything is faster than IE these days.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 03:38:37 PM »
Yes, Skyfire looks impressive, however it still requires to download the entire website to your mobile device, and scroll or zoom to see the site. In some environments, download by cellphone can be very expensive. A specially designed mobile site limits download of images and other "heavy" items, and also formats to the width of the screen so that horizontal scrolling and zooming is usually not necesary.

For example, if I tried to do my web banking with Skyfire on the normal bank website, it would be a messy thing: back and forth, zoom and return etc. But using the bank's mobile website, it is a breeze: I can do all transactions just like on the regular website, but, no scrolling, no zooming!

So long as mobile devices have such a limited viewing area, I think specially formatted sites will give a better experience.

Rick

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 07:41:58 PM »
Glad to see us moving forward. Moblie web browsing is already used by more people than regular computer browsing or so says several articles I have read. We have to adapt. I am very happy that my Site Spinner program is making it easier for me.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 03:05:23 AM »
Hmmm, that seems a rather unbelievable claim, but for sure mobile browsing is moving forward very quickly.

I bought SS Pro when it was on discount, but have not yet tried to create a mobile site with it. I am retired but don't have enough time to do all the things I want to do! Off wandering around China again next month!

Rick

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 02:06:32 PM »
Other. Than the retired, I will ditto.

Never have enough time to do the things I really want to do!

(by the way, I have now posted to this forum using a PDA phone AND an Ipod Touch 2g.   Guess I am part of the mobile society!)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 03:33:24 PM »
Look it up Rick, I found that claim several places since it is referring to world wide. A lot of people have cells that don't have computers I guess. Al the tech sites are indicating the definite wave of the future is more hand held browsing.

:-)

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 03:30:22 PM »
Yes, well I guess it is all in the statistics. You know - lies, lies and statistics! I reread your post and noted the wording "Moblie web browsing is already used by more people". It maybe "used" by more people, but I expect at this stage, mobile browsing is used only for brief access, not for many hours like most of us do on our PC's.

However, as I said before, I fully agree that mobile browsing will become the new growth area, and it would be a good opportunity for Samisite Forum to pick up from the decline in CSB and develop new expertise in websites optimised for mobile browsing.

Rick

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 06:13:18 PM »
When I go on the mobile web, I do not spend long.  Quick on/off.  Look up info, off.

I do not have a DATA package on my phone.  I have an IMAGE package.  Saves me about $35/mo plus taxes. 
Still get the web, still can send emails with attachments and/or photos, but I do not get access to the super fast 3G network.  Not worth another $35/mo to me!  As it is, my phone gets the speed of decent DSL which is PLENTY fast enough for the amount of time I am on it. I can even attach to a local WIFI if I want.  BUT I can not see that device EVER taking priority over either a laptop or desktop unit!   Even though some websites are MOBILE ready, it is just not a primary SURFING window!  Large monitors and keyboards are far more comfortable!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 12:11:19 AM »
Fully agree Sam. I have a data package costs me AUD29 p/m for only 300MB! I only use mobile web when I really need some info, but not for casual browsing. I can use wifi hotspots which avoids the data costs, and I use that whenever possible, but it is still quite limited. Having said that, I am still sure mobile browsing will grow rapidly.

Rick

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 03:57:51 AM »
Yep rick, that is what I think the articles were referring to was users not time spent. My phone doesn't charge me anything extra to browse so I USE it alot .. lol

One feature of my phone that is awesome is the find near by search that is provided by gps so now I find places and then also go to their web sites. More and more phones are offering such services and now that I have them I think, how the heck did I do without these? lol Like much of the other technology I guess.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 10:09:49 AM »
For 20+ years I have kept a phone directory in my auto. Big clunky but sometimes NECESSARY.
When I got my PDA phone, it could not do GPS but I could use internet. 
Turned to the online phone books to look things up.

BUT ever since the phone ROM update a year ago, I have had GPS (Sprint's version of TeleNav) with the WONDERFUL search options (find along route, search local, and more) and though I don't use it much for mapping, I use it ALL THE TIME for looking up phone numbers, finding local business locations, etc!  It is so easy and quick.
Like Wanda, I have to say, How the heck did I do without this????

[Earlier posts currency conversions for quick reference]
        29 AUD = 18 USD,    35 USD = 53.6 AUD
Rick your data plan would cost a ton at that rate.  If I bumped up for the extra $35/mo I would get unlimited texting (which I do not do), unlimited data transfers and minutes for calling.  But I don't use it THAT much to make that worthwhile.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 03:11:24 PM »
Yes, it is an unfortunate fact that data useage by cellphone is horrendously expensive in Australia at the moment. It is caused by the fact there is little competition - only one telco (Telstra) has extensive national coverage which I need, since I am often travelling, on my boat, or at the farm. Other telcos offer much better data packages but at the moment are mosty limited to coverage of large cities. (I can use wifi hotspots such as at McDonalds which are usually free.)

Having said that, I agree about the usefullness of the technology. I really love my iPhone 3G! It can do anything: GPS, email (some great email apps), Oxford dictionary, Chinese dictionary, world tides, ...etc. I have installed 45 applications from the thousands available. I can even use iPhone to access my PC from anywhere in the world, and run any of my PC applications! What next?

Rick

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 04:06:46 PM »
Surgery for direct interface.  :-\
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 05:56:25 PM »
You are funny Sam!  rofl  rofl  rofl