Author Topic: Streaming Audio  (Read 4321 times)

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
Streaming Audio
« on: May 19, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
I'm not sure I'm posting in the right area... or even the right forum, so will try here and there...

I'm attemping to update a CSB 5 website (www.noboundarys.com) to play one song (mp3) per page. I've started by following the tutorial at http://www.samisite.com/test-csb2nf/audio.htm, but got stuck in short order.  I've uploaded the mp3 files to a newly created folder named "music," but when I test as directed, for instance, http://www.noboundarys.com/music/mybaby.mp3, nothing is found.

Any ideas?
"To err is human; to forgive, canine." - Anonymous

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Streaming Audio
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 10:09:57 AM »
Your home page properly loads the ALongWayFromHomeSafe.m3u file, which automatically loads the song Long way from Home which is an mp3 file (location of file unknown, especially if not in a MUSIC folder).

Not sure what problem you are having since the home page is definitely working.

- Which page is not working?
- Check your file names, CAPS/lowercase. Many servers are CAsE senSitIVE so myfile.mp3 and myfiILE.mp3 are not the same.

(note: This morning I updated my 2 song m3u file and noted the change on the webpage you mentioned.)
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 11:00:42 AM »
I also tried the home page as well as the next two pages and they all worked well with the music playing automatically after the WMP Active Ex Control was allowed which is blocked by default on my system.

Cool site!
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 02:44:27 PM »
You also started this same thread on the CSB section of  Globalscape forum. So you will end up getting duplicate response!

There are pros and cons for each method used.
1) CSB's Insert Audio:  Fastest easiest way to insert sound on a page. Can define with the player on so it can be turned off (good for visitors that are in an office environment).  This is GREAT for small wav files.  When you start adding a lot of mp3 files, you can bloat the CSB TLX design file.  I prefer to keep the tlx design file leaner and keep flash, sound, movies OUT of the file. This solution allows your mp3 file to be saved on the visitor's computer.

2) On my streaming page, I offer a couple solutions.  The main one is using an m3u file to load one or more music files onto a page.  That page loads an m3u file (made in Notepad) that links to the actual music file. This is convenient for a few reasons
- The link in the VIEW SOURCE takes your visitor to a m3u file instead of an mp3 file.
- The m3u file is loaded into the music player (Media player, Winamp, etc) by the browser.
- That file points to one music file, or can play a long list of files in the order YOU specify.
- Change out the music files or the order of the files just changing the m3u playlist.  Don't have to change CSB tlx file at all.  Nice for changing out seasonal music, sounds.
- If your visitor grabs the m3u file from your website, they still can not just click it and play your music from their desktop if you link it properly. They must get the mp3 file to do that. The m3u does not hide the music file but does add one more step they must go through to get the file.
** recommend that the m3u file and the music file NOT have the same name.  Makes it harder to find the mp3 file if someone gets to fishing for the url of the music file. And storing music in the music folder is obvious.  If you use another name for the folder you will make it even harder. 
Ex:   /music/ShouldntHurtSafe.m3u  should not have a music file:   /music/ShouldntHurtSafe.mp3
Doing that made it VERY easy to take your mp3 file!  (Thanks!)

Instead: /nope/ShouldntHurtSafe.m3u  could have a music file:   /nope/SHSafe.mp3 
or: /nope/SHSafe.m3u  could have a music file:   /nope/ShouldntHurtSafe.mp3
Some computers crawl purposely looking for music and sound folders.

3) FLASH is a great way to put music on the web.  Loads well and on slower machines, it is one of the best options. On my streaming page I mention a program called MP3 Sound Stream.  Many CSB users have used it with excellent results!  This option is probably the best I know of...

But of course, there are other options.....
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 01:51:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum Julia  :welsign:
-turtle

treasure your pets   :turtleblink:

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
Hey there! Been out of the state for a while. Thanks for all the info!

I'm trying to use MP3 Soundstream now... may need some help from some folks who are familiar with it?

Oh, and my apologies for posting "here" and "there"... I was a bit confused re: where I should turn (old forum totally dead? or?).

Hello Turtle! Nice to "see" you again  :noshake:
"To err is human; to forgive, canine." - Anonymous

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 09:49:04 AM »
Rick has used soundstream with success and could probably give you some pointers.

The old forum is not dead. But GlobalSCAPE has made no commitment for continuation past July 2007 so people are migrating here. The same experienced folk that help out over there are here too.  And this forum is set up to support other software as people test and try replacement software.

-Samantha