Author Topic: backup software  (Read 24152 times)

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
backup software
« on: February 24, 2011, 05:33:45 AM »
Following this issue, I made a new backup copy of C: drive using Comodo Backups.
Rick, I think that I need help on how to use this software…  :unsure: I understood that you use this program for your backups.

They recommend, after making a first full backup,  to make a daily Incremental backup, then a weekly differential backup and finally a monthly full backup.
After making my first full C: partition backup I got this file, copied into a “Backup” named folder in drive E: (I have three hard disk and decided to use E: only for backups): Partition_C_full_part.cbu (23.7 Gb after +/- 40 minutes)
Yesterday, I programmed an automatic daily incremental backup to be run at 10:00 p.m. every day.

Well, the first problem was that it didn’t start automatically at the prefixed time, but only when I opened Comodo to see if it had being done, getting the message “programmed backup didn’t start, would you like to run it now?” or something like that…  I said Yes and it started, but… it took the same amount of time that the full backup to give me this new file: Disk_0_inc_disk.cbu  AND the same space on disk, well, MORE space: 24.6 Gb and +/- SAME process time.

I can see that the first full was "Partition_C..." and the second inc "Disk_0..." is this the problem? I'm confused... :unsure: :( :-[
If I keep making  daily incremental backups this way, I would need a HUGE hard disk to store a single month of backups. I know that I’m doing something wrong, but I couldn’t get the answers from the program’s Help. May be it’s all there, but I couldn’t understand how to do it.

Hope I explained myself
Any help?
Could you explain me how does it work?  click by click   :-[ :-[
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
backup software
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 03:56:56 PM »
Tony, I know exactly what you mean! Especially the latest release of this software is much more difficult to configure. I think they try to do too much.

All I have done at this stage, is an incremental backup of selected folders and files which contain critical data I don't want to lose, such as my entire music collection, for example, as well as important documentation and so on. I have not done system backup, because I think if I have a crash, I will just reinstall Windows, and then I can restore all the backed-up data. I do the backup only once a week. It seems to work well, as long as there is enough disk space on the backup media.

I suggest you get some familiarity with the software, by setting up a simple trial backup, just a few files or folders, and try out the differences between full backup, incremental and differential backup.

But you should not be accumulating backups. Even a full backup will replace the previous one if the same file path is specified.

Sorry I don't have time to do a full click by click explanation at the moment, but if you are still stuck after doing a few really simple backup trials, let me know.
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
backup software
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »
I looked at the software before downloading and decided against it.  The info just seemed to confusing...
It is written by people that KNOW the software but can not EXPLAIN it.
 :banghead:
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
backup software
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 03:34:23 AM »
OK, thanks Ricks.
I thought that it was a matter of three or four clicks, as they claim on their introduction.
I'll follow your suggestion.

Thank you too Sami, it is good to know that their procedures are really a little confusing.
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
backup software
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 08:48:10 AM »
I will just reinstall Windows, and then I can restore all the backed-up data. I do the backup only once a week.
This has been my preference.  Also recommend a backup before MAJOR changes to machine.
Unless the backup destination is the SAME as the original drive, a mirror is not a good thing.
It takes longer to reinstall everything but I think it is better because you can choose what to install/avoid during the rebuild.

I have a 2tb internal drive put into an external dock as my backup drive.  (blacX doc for usb/esata allows me to plug most SATA drives in and read/write to them. I can take the old drives and recover data from them using this dock.  And its portable..plug the dock and drive into any computer with usb2 or esata for best speed.)
I use a few usb mini drives (freeagent go) to handle my old time radio, pictures, games, etc that I do not want on my main hard drive. They are backed up to the big drive too so if one fails, I do not lose data.
Used to use Retrospect to backup main drive. But won't work on win7.
Looking at new backup options for LOCAL backup. Don't want to send my data to the cloud.  
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
backup software
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 10:15:35 PM »
I finally decided which program I will use for main backups!    :boogie: :boogie:

SyncBackSE   http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/compare.html
)
The PDF file with instructions for restoring your data gives me hope that I will like the program as much as my old program....(doesn't work on win 7/64b
An Introduction to Restoring Your Data
There are two ways to restore files: using SyncBackSE or using another program. Unlike many other backup programs, SyncBackSE does not store the backup files in a proprietary format – all backup files are stored either exactly as they are or they are compressed (if compression is being used).Even when compression is being used you can use 3rd party programs to access the backup files, e.g. WinZip. If your backup files are stored on an FTP server then any FTP client can be used, e.g. Internet Explorer.
The important point to remember is that you do not need SyncBackSE to get your backup files. You always have the simple manual option of copying back whichever files you need to restore.

I have a local drive (as I mentioned) that I connect for backups and do not want to send data online (to the cloud).
This program looks like it will do what I want, for a reasonable cost.  They have several PDF files to describe the program back up options and restoring options.  http://www.2brightsparks.com/tutorials/    A single user license for SyncBackSE covers its use on up to 5 computers so it covers today and tomorrow!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:40:34 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
backup software
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 01:35:29 AM »
I will have a look at it Sami. Although I recommended Comodo Backup to Tony, I have experienced the same difficulties as Tony in using it. Maybe SyncBack SE is better designed.

Sami, for what reasons was the free version not suitable for your needs?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:40:43 AM by rickasaurus »

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
backup software
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 03:49:40 AM »
Thanks Sami, I think I will fire Comodo, too complicated for me   :-\
Look forward for your answer about free or not free version.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
backup software
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 09:38:42 AM »
I gave a link to the version comparison chart above but here it is again:  
     http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/compare.html

It helped me decide which would be best for me.  I think SE will work for my needs.
At this point, the free version is not fully compatible with Win7/64bit, so I can not use the free version.

There are other features too that I am used to that are in the Pro and SE versions:  
- Fine-grained control over which files and folders to backup (I want control over files/folders to backup!)
- Smart Synchronization (2-way file synchronisation) with fine-grained configuration options   (I use this to backup my little portable USB drives to the big 2TB backup unit)
- Move files  (not in the free version)
- Can set it to run every time an external drive is plugged in
- Wizards to make profiles (backup definition) and restore operations. Step by step assistance. (not in free version)
- Run from external media, e.g. USB key  (I have a couple other programs running from usb key a password keeper and faststone capture screen print making them portable, usable no matter where I am. Having this option may be quite nice, especially for the file compare features!)
- Incremental & differential backups not available on free (I MAY want to use this feature, not sure)

Tony this particular software comes in many languages (chose default when you install).  But I don't know if you can get the tutorial books in them. Looks like the tutorials are english.

Comes with 30 day free trial!  There is a notice that price is going up March 1, but will wait to buy till I have fully tested program.

IMPORTANT: If you want to store backups online, this program will allow it but does come with space to do it.  You have to have your own storage space.  I do not want to store online

This is my dock for my master 2TB drive:  hhttp://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1346&ID=1731
   BlacX  - Supports All 2.5” & 3.5” SATA HDDs up to 2 TB! Dual data transfer connectors: eSATA + USB 2.0
   Hot-Swap Capability for Rapid Multi HDDs Access & Exchange
   Supports eSATA Transfer Speed up to 3Gbps
   Supports USB 2.0 Transfer Speed up to 480Mbps
With this dock, I can plug in OLD hard drives and recover info, if drive is stable.  Good when you can not boot from drive (windows damaged) but data intact!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:27:48 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
backup software
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 11:02:07 AM »
OK... Used the wizard function to set up a MIRROR profile for one of my little FreeAgentGo portable drives to the large docked drive.
The wizard was great.  Simple questions, with very good explanations.   I will need more than one of these "profiles".  Then I will also set up a profile for my main computer hard drive.

The small portable USB drive is E: right now. I have several of them, and they could all use the same drive letter.
The big 2TB backup drive is G: right now.  This drive will be the master backup of all files for computer and portable units and the letter of the drive could change.

I liked the option of choosing either E: drive or alternative labeling:  %LABEL=faRED_640_samback%\
Since I am using removeable drives, being able to choose the alternative label, it is better.  E: could refer to several different portable usb drives and is NOT specific enough.  Very nice, SIMPLE feature.  I was not expected to KNOW how to label the drive.  The program offered alternatives.

In this program the MIRROR function will delete files on the BIG master docked drive so that the two files/folders look the same for the portable and the Master. Perfect! I add/remove folders all the time from the portable drive and want my backup to be the same as the current drive.  

This is the screen you get when you complete the first part of the wizard. It is very clear which options you chose. You KNOW what to expect. The results will be what you want.

When you try to save it warns that some files may be deleted on destination drive.   Good to know!
Then when you save the profile, it offers you a chance to test the profile with a simulated run

that produces a report of what would have been copied/deleted.  PERFECT for a first time set up. If you like the results on the report, you can start using the profile. If not, you can change the profile and try again.  

So far I am impressed with the EASY way it offers choices.
Tons of options in the program. Or simplicity. Whichever fits YOUR needs!
Check it out. Think you will like it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:07:04 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
backup software
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 01:22:08 PM »

The big master backup drive WD2TB is shown on right.
I have 5 portable usb drives  (one is seen on left side of picture).
These drives have files that are no where else, conserving the laptop hard drive.
If the portables fail, I lose the docs.  :ss-shocked:  OMG...would be a disaster.
Each has a specific purpose and usually have only 1 attached at a time.
 - Red (photos, documents, audio books, website, tutorials,)
 - Green (games and old time radio programs),
 - Silver (entertainments like movies and videos) was a gift, with 2 movies pre-installed
 - Blue (specific project folder/files)
 - Black (old pc BU for reference, specific project folders/files)

Each portable drive has its own folder on the big master drive

Since I had used windows explorer to copy files to the big unit a month ago, the Mirror in SyncBack software took just minutes for 3 drives so far!  Looking for changed or new files and copying over only the new or changed files!   :boogie:

Now I need to work on hard drive backup, let it run while I sleep tonight.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:59:45 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
backup software
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 04:04:52 PM »
Thanks Sami, I will do some experimenting. May need to come back to you!  :)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
backup software
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 05:58:20 PM »
Sure!

This is one of those times that the software chosen is based on personal preference.
No judgement to being a BETTER or WORSE program.
Just a matter of which is most comfortable to the user.  

The SyncBack program seems to do everything that I need, and does it quite easily.  (LOTS OF OPTIONS if you want to use them or they can be ignored!)
SyncBack seems to use plain language to explain what it is doing, and your choices.
That was one reason I did not want to use Comodo.  I am experienced but the Comodo instructions just confused me!!  :-\ :v8slap: :unsure:
So far, SyncBack seems to be a better fit for me.

AllwaySync has some similar features but I like the feel of SyncBack better.  The paid version of AllwaySync is only $20 (less than Syncback) but like the interface for SyncBack better.
Less headache to set it up!  And Syncback will copy open files like email, etc. AllwaySync will not.  
AllwaySync free is fine for my mother...small amount of files, rarely backup, free.  But I can not use the free...too many files...
Like the way I can set up SyncBack with different profiles... (mail, documents, pictures, installation files, admin, etc) and run them each separately or several as a group.  Nice.

NOTE re SYNCBACK is missing something like MOST backup software.
The one thing that is NOT included in the program may or may not be important for most people.
The program has a basic comparison of files only.  Source has file.txt and destination has file.txt
SyncBack will check dates, etc but not the internal data of the files. It will not tell you that one of the files has an extra sentence.

Which file should be kept?  Always source?  Always destination? or do you want to check the differences?
On a MIRROR, you ALWAYS delete the destination (so no external program is needed!)

But on SYNC, you have 2 way copies...which file do you keep?  
You may want to say always keep the copy from the main drive, overwrite backup.  Fine. No extra software needed.

BUT IF you NEED to check the DETAILS before deleting something (like what text was changed, etc), you have to use an external program.
SyncBack will allow you to link to whatever program you want to use.
I think it is BEST to do this BEFORE you try to backup.  

Several freebies available, but not all are made for win 7.
  ExamDiff has a basic free version  (http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_features.asp),
  DiffMerge lists win 7 (http://www.sourcegear.com/diffmerge/index.html),
  Winmerge does not list win 7 (http://winmerge.org/about/)

Paid software:
- I have used Beyond Compare versions 2 & version 3 for years.  (http://www.scootersoftware.com/)    and works on win 7/64bit   :TUP:
30 day free trial (any 30 days..not consecutive days.  Could take you 6 months to use the 30 days if careful)  :boogie:
Don't need it very often but when you are checking out lots of files it makes it easier to figure out which file to keep. Extra special viewers for more versatility (compare images, etc)
Works just like FTP program with split screen and shows the text differences below the split.

- Have used NoClone duplicate finder too. ok for $30.  Prefer feel of Beyond Compare for same money.

- CompareSuite has a free version too. The Standard version (used at work) compares word, excel, powerpoint files terrifically. Worth $ ONLY IF you need that specific capability, otherwise too expensive at $70!  :ss-shocked:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:44:52 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
backup software
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 01:43:39 AM »
I tried the free version of SyncBack and like it. It seems to work OK for the basic functions on Win 7 64 bit.

So I decided to go ahead and bought the SE version. As you said, it has a very easy interface, and I have already set up the profiles i need for my laptop (am away from home now, and will set up the desktop and train control laptop when I get home on the weekend). I like the fast backup incremental feature which is not available on the free version.

I need to go out and buy a big drive for backup. The biggest external storage I have at the moment is 500Gb and iit is not enough.

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
backup software
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 03:03:08 AM »
Yes, I think I will go ahead with SyncBack too.
Talking about big backup drives, the one I recently bought is also 500 Gb, which at the moment is more than enough for me. Risking to look paranoid to you, don't you think that it's not worthy to put all eggs in the same basket?

Wasn't better for you guys that have that much to backup, to have different smaller and specific-folders/area-dedicated backup drives? An eventually crash in a HUGE removable disc would represent a HUGE problem... it can be dropped, stolen, wet, etc. not to mention that it IS also another disc that is not eternal and can also fail.
Sorry for being so extremist, but a backup is a backup and it has to be bullet proof to me... :(
In other words, is like having big dedicated USB pens, one for music, another for the website, games and entertainment, photos and so on. Prices of smaller capacity discs is going down, so the expense will be +/- the same as a single huge unit. Am I saying a foolishness?

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
backup software
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 06:17:53 AM »
You are quite correct Tony, so I will rethink how I structure the backups. But if there are too many separate physical drives, it is difficult to connect them all to the computer when scheduling the backups. There is a limit to the number of USB ports, and using hubs is not so good for external drives.

Like everything in life, it is a matter of doing things in a balanced, moderate way.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
backup software
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 09:48:01 AM »
I agree.   :agree:  You have seen that I do NOT depend on one drive!  I believe in redundancy.
I use 5 separate portable drives.  Then I back those up onto a big drive.  The big drive is not hooked up all the time. It is not running constantly.  Limited use.  Only plug it in to do backups. The dock sits empty most of the time.

Tony you could consider alternating backups. On the office server, I set up series of alternating backups. If one of the backup fails, the other was still available.
You could have 2 two disks...Use one this week, the other next week..Keep swapping back and forth, ODD and EVEN. If one gets infected with something bad, the other should still be ok to use.

I have more data than a lot of people I guess. Using the portable drives allowed me to backup in sections, faster. I used to do alot for other people, clients, work. Took up a lot of space! I uninstall software, prune and clean but still have a HUGE amount of stuff.  My Radio programs on my green portable takes up more than 150GB so far.   I have more that needs to be put on the drive.  Good thing I do not collect a lot of videos or music!   :D

Since I am no longer doing the things I used to do, I expect my 'stash' of data will not grow nearly as fast now.

But if there are too many separate physical drives, it is difficult to connect them all to the computer when scheduling the backups. There is a limit to the number of USB ports, and using hubs is not so good for external drives.
No need to connect all at once.  Alternate the backups. If you use externally AC powered hubs, you can have several connected with no problem. Do it all the time!  

:offtopic:
Since I put a block on all russian addresses, I have had nearly a thousand hits against the banned rules!   :boogie:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:12:04 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
backup software
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 07:21:12 AM »
I downloaded SyncBackPro, I'm now reading their Backup Guide:

Well, it seems that not only me is "backup" paranoiac:

"You need to store a copy of all your important files in a different location to where your computer is situated. It's not a great deal of use having the copy of your files on your external hard drive which is constantly plugged into your computer. A thief won't leave your additional drive for you to recover your lost files, a fire or flood won't distinguish between your computer and your external drive. At the very least, keep your copy in a different location in your home. If possible, keep your backup copy in an entirely different building."

Pag. 3 of The Backup Guide.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
backup software
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 10:36:17 AM »
Tony.... Do you remember this post of mine? BACKUP YOU WEBSITE FILES!
OFF-SITE STORAGE:
Off-site storage simply means make sure you get your data away from the computer that you made that data on.  Take it to work, store it with a neighbor/family member, safety deposit box, etc.  Separate that data.
Why?  If your home or business is broken into and your computer and files are stolen or damaged, could you continue to work on your website files on another machine?  If your computer is damaged, you have a fire, take a lightening strike, have a flood, hurricane damage, etc, having your data away from that site will get you back up and running faster.  If all your backups are with your original machine, you could lose EVERYTHING, original data AND backups at the same time!
I prefer to use a removeable backup drive and bring it to work.  Safe secure off-site and under my own control.
Been preaching same message for YEARS.

Would anyone mind if I split this thread into 2 topics.... computer crash and backup software? We left the crash several posts ago...
I would put the backup software thread into BEST PRACTICES and make it sticky to get to the top of the list.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:44:32 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
backup software
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 04:09:24 PM »
You are right to point that out, Tony. I am away from home now, but when I get back on the weekend, I have been planning to set up a profile on SyncBack to FTP upload some critical data to my online disc space.

That way, I can access the data if I have a failure while I am away from home, when normally I would not have the physical backup media with me.

No problem to split the thread, Sami.

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
Re: backup software
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 07:26:21 AM »
I ran my first "profile" today...  :verysad: Copy the entire C:
It didn't copy anything.
I got 26 "collisions" and don't know what to do with this...

Definitely, these backups programs are a nightmare for me  :( :-[

Does your Help option work?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 09:45:54 AM »
Tony.  Did you do a simulated run?
That is a test to see what would have copied not a real copy.
It would report to you if you would get collisions or not.

You can use the button to select which files and folders to backup. Ignore/skip some objects to avoid collisions then run the simulation again until it comes out clean. Then save it and run the real backup.  The simulation run is a nice feature, especially during setup of definitions/profiles.  I could do some screen prints for you and post them here if it would help...
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 12:59:47 PM »
OK, I did a lot of things while learning and simulating, so I decided to start all over again, including
a new installation of the program, this time in English just in case I would need to show some screenshot.

I made a new profile, following the default settings, then a simulating run getting a nice and clean Difference window, just like the one you posted, without any "collision".

After guessing that everything was OK, I selected Run.
Well, at the end it gave me an Error Message: 25 Files could not be copied, deleted or compressed. See the Log file for more information. As "Result" I got X Failure

I checked the destination folder and there was a C:\ copy apparently OK; I didn't check it in details, but, what about those 25 files that couldn't copy?

Files uncopied are UsrClass.dat and NTUSER.DAT. Some say that you can get rid of them, others say not...  :-\

Guys, at this point, isn't better to forget about backup programs and simply do from DOS prompt copy c:\*.*  to  E:\  ???  
foolishnessing again ??? :-[

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 02:56:35 PM »
Tony, I get the feeling you are trying to do too much at once.

I suggest you get used to the software first, by doing a more limited backup: your critical data, such as "My Documents" for example, or any other basic data you have on your PC you would not want to lose. In my case, examples would be all my music, train software profiles, and Xara web files. You are much less likely to get collisions with these type of files.

Profiles for these kind of files are easy to set up in SyncBack. (BTW, I am using SyncBackSE, which is easy to use. Are you using the Pro version?)

Don't worry about all the system files yet, because you can do a reinstall if that fails.

After you have successfully established profiles and run backups of your critical data, then you can experiment with backing up your system, having more experience with the software.

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 04:13:13 PM »
Tony, I get the feeling you are trying to do too much at once.

I suggest you get used to the software first, by doing a more limited backup: your critical data...

After you have successfully established profiles and run backups of your critical data, then you can experiment with backing up your system, having more experience with the software.

I did it, that was one of my first "practices". I successfully backup my site folder.
My problem Sami, is TIME and ORGANIZATION. I lack of both things. The task you describe is a Cartesian job if you want to do it right AND the media you will use to store your files needs to be kept well organized in such a way that if the fateful day comes up you should be able to restore without leaning on your memory (another thing which I lack of...along with knowledge), otherwise, an eventually crash will be what it has always been: a pain in the neck.

In the other hand, a complete copy of a drive (C:\ in my case) having less that 50 Gb of used space, shouldn't be a problem  :-\

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 04:18:16 PM »
Guys, at this point, isn't better to forget about backup programs and simply do from DOS prompt copy c:\*.*  to  E:\
No.

If you want an EXACT copy of the C drive, like a full mirrored drive, then TRUE IMAGE is the better backup software for that purpose, not SyncBack.  It is also expensive and difficult to use. But it WILL create an identical copy of your current computer setup including registries, and more.   I don't want the hassle of that program.  

Collisions can be cleared, then run the sync again and your backup will say success/completed.
I have gotten a couple collisions for certain files/folders.  I just had to define information for the software.  Told it to ALWAYS do this or that and it runs clean now.
It just needs more instruction FROM YOU about those particular files/folders.  
Click the collision to read what is wrong.  The program tells you WHY it considers it a problem.  You can choose different options to fix...Skip, always overwrite, keep original, keep newest, etc...

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
In the Windows operating system files can be opened exclusively by programs. For example, when a program is writing data to a file it wants to make sure no other programs are reading or writing to the same file at the same time. This avoids corruption issues. Most Windows programs will lock files they are writing to or modifying. For example, Microsoft Outlook locks the outlook.pst while it is running. This stops backup programs from making a backup of the file. Windows itself locks a number of files, e.g. NTUSER.DAT, SAM.LOG, SYSTEM.LOG, etc.

SyncBackSE/Pro can copy these files under certain restrictions (see this page for details). http://www.2brightsparks.com/help/index.php?action=kb&article=228

SyncBack freeware, like most backup programs, cannot copy files that are open / locked, i.e. they are being used by another program or process. You must either filter the files or exclude the folder.

I agree with Rick.  Make smaller profiles.  Docs, music, etc.  best and fastest

ANY software requires you to tell it what you want to do.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 04:30:16 PM »
The backup that you have now, that "failed" because of a few files is basically complete.
The 25 files made it a "failed" backup.  Everything else is THERE. READY TO USE!

You already have the basic structure, the organization of the C hard drive on the backup!
Use it to your benefit.   Use it to prepare backup profiles for your computer.
Match the PROGRAMS folder on C to the same folder on the backup drive.
Match the MUSIC folder on C to the same folder on the backup drive.
etc.

You DO have organization already done for you! Once you have these set up, time will not be a problem.
Once you have a couple smaller profiles made you can group them so the program will run one profile after the other.
Once click can run many smaller profiles when you group them.

I would gladly help you with your settings in real-time using a chat software/instant message where we can share the same computer screen.
Can show you ....

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 11:51:16 PM »
Finally made a full C drive backup.   I win!  I got 628 errors Tony!    rofl  :TUP: rofl
No kidding.  Really did get all those errors.
I ran the backup as administrator but that did not prevent the errors.

SO... I went to the syncback help website and found a detailed thread.  
Code: [Select]
http://www.2brightsparks.com/help/index.php?action=kb&article=205Tried only PART of the fix. It worked!

1) I followed the instruction on this page:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntbackup_create_operator.mspx?mfr=true
Added my admin account that I use to the BACKUP OPERATORS group.  Was VERY easy to do.  You should try it Tony!
Restarted machine.

2) Then I adjusted my profile in SYNCBACK
If you added yourself to the group, then close SyncBackSE/Pro and restart it. Modify your profile, enable Expert mode, and go to the Copy/Delete - Advanced page of the profile configuration. Enable the option "If a file cannot be copied because of security (Access Denied) then try Backup Read/Write copy method" and save the profile.
 There are more instructions for other settings but I did not have to do that.

Ran the backup again...down to 2 errors!  They were missing files.    Ran it again without any changes and SUCCESS!   :boogie:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 12:00:20 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2011, 12:35:48 PM »
Thank you Sami.
I will try a little more.

(Thanks God that this software was EASIER than Comodo...  >:( >:(   :banghead:)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2011, 01:31:54 PM »
All backup software need settings to fit your needs.  And it usually takes a while to get it right.
Yes, this software is much easier than Comodo.

When I got it down to 2 errors, I had to run the backup profile a couple times to get rid of temp files that changed.

BUT...Let me ask you something.
Do you need an exact copy of your C drive?  Or will copies of the data do ok for you?

I do not need an exact copy.  I will not be moving the exact copy back onto my computer.
My back up was fully successful, but if it had a few errors, I would not have worried about it.  
Can use the options in the program to SKIP certain files if they cause me problems.  I would have done that if the fix I mentioned did not work. The system files are not as important to me. I have a copy of the drive taken soon after purchase. I could restore the computer to that date if needed, then reload software as needed.

All my important  data is on the backup. Emails, photos, designs, etc are safe. And that unit backs up my portables too.  Can move the data to any computer I want.   

Will set up smaller profiles:  MyDocs, Emails, Web, Photos, etc. so I can just do a quick backup of a small portion more often...

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:38:47 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 07:51:07 PM »
working up a few shots and descriptions (mini-tutorial) re: conflicts, etc... will post soon....

Did I mention I HATE backups?  Even with an easy program they are a pain the the ....... 
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 02:40:53 PM »
I have SyncBackSE working well now. Even automatically doing secondary backing up of my backups to a new 2TB drive, and automatically backing up some critical data to my web server. Too easy!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 03:19:48 PM »
Glad you found the application fits your needs.  Of the backup software I have found, it is one of the best options at a decent cost.
Lots of options, flexibility and useable without an IT degree.  Less confusing than most but some of the settings still take a bit of study to be sure you get them the way you intend.
 :TUP:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 06:43:46 AM »
Yesterday, I learned how to backup the emails folders.  :yes:
Y have separated folders to keep track of emails, specially those coming from customers, suppliers, etc.

Until yesterday, I did not know where the emails were stored, and in case of lost, even restoring the main folders copies, I wouldn't be in grade of finding them.

Now, using SyncBack I keep a copy of all my emails folders in MyDocuments, so when I backup this it would save also my emails for an easy recovering if I need to. Foollishing again?  :-[

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2011, 11:04:19 AM »
Which email software are you using?  Outlook?  or something else?  with version please (ex: outlook 2003, outlook 2007)
Tell me which perating system you are using (XP, Vista, Win 7)
When I work up the mini-tutorial I will make sure I cover some specific locations to be sure to backup.
You won't need to put a copy of emails into My Docs.
But you will need to backup a copy of the emails AND the address book AND your FAVORITE SITES in Internet Explorer and SAVED PASSWORDS in Firefox, etc.
Can do that with SyncBack directly.....
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 12:26:22 PM »
Which email software are you using?  Outlook?  or something else?  with version please (ex: outlook 2003, outlook 2007)
Tell me which perating system you are using (XP, Vista, Win 7)
Outlook Express 6 - Windows XP

You won't need to put a copy of emails into My Docs.

Yes, I Know, but after weeks, or may be months or years, on the desktop is much easier to find it that in a remote and hidden folder that you don't remember were is it... and probably you didn't backup...

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
We can set up a specific profile in SyncBack to put the backup in a very easy place to locate.    :TUP:
Nice thing about little profiles...you can build it to do just one folder, one file, etc. 
-Samantha

Wesley

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 12:46:49 AM »
Acronis True Image Home is one of best back up software for desktops. I have used this software, it’s great. You guys can try it.

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 09:43:27 AM »
Sami, I read
"A collision is when a file in the source and destination differ, yet have the same name. That is, the file is both in the source and destination but is modified in some way, perhaps by date, size etc. It is not an error.

A notification of collisions occur in the Differences window, which appears by default when making a backup (note that there are circumstances when the Differences window does not appear, for example when the user has chosen not to show the window).

Collisions are shown in red in the Differences window to highlight there are going to be changes made when you continue the profile task. If the user views the Differences window carefully, the user has the option to make choices about whether they want to accept the changes SyncBackSE/Pro will make, or bypass them with a right click and choose a different action."

OK
Running a C:\ full backup I got 1388 collisions.
Question: is there some way to take ONE general action to have overwriting them all or I have to take that action one by one for each collision?
Sorry if it is a banal question, but I didn't find the answer.

Thanks.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2011, 09:19:58 AM »
I use a one way backup sending files from my computer to the backup.if the file exists on the c drive then get rid of it off backup drive. If newer file exists on c drive then replace the file on backup. This causes collisions. Sometimes a few sometimes 1000 or more. I will do a backup today and post how I deal with those collisions......

..Note.... I have another folder on the backup drive that holds files that I have permanently removed from c drive that I want to keep (like my audio books, sample files, archive website files, etc). I manually move files off my c to this area before doing a backup run if I want to keep them long-term but they do not need to be on c drive or the backup of the c drive. So using the one-way backup for the c drive is my best option. Also makes sure that the backup of c does not continue to grow. Files deleted from c are removed from backup too. Have small c drive...got to keep files limited.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 09:37:35 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2011, 07:46:48 PM »
I ran two of five backups today. No collisions.  Will do more.  Have to make notes as I do it. Can't remember what I do with them from memory. Just don't do it often enough... Have not forgotten....
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 01:19:43 AM »
As I understood, collisions occur when original file "X" changed or has been modified respect to same file "X" on destination previously backed up. That's why I got that many collisions during my second C:\ backup, so it's normal to want to overwrite them, but answering "yes" or taking an action on each collision will take a lot of time and attention... I think there should be a easier way to do it...

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 08:08:06 PM »
I think there should be a easier way to do it...
YES.  You are correct.   :yes:

Use the OPTIONS, "FILE DECISIONS" settings to tell the program to automatically do things for you.
I forgot about these.  Went in tonight to do another backup and found them again.....
I do not have to manually look at any differences. The settings define what I want.

Take a look at these three pictures and see if they will help.

1) My backup drive contains 6 folders (color coded).  Each folder has a different purpose. Each folder has different parts of my backup data.
Small blue drive stored in blue folder.  Small red drive to red folder, etc.
Click for Picture: Backup1

Collisions happen only when your files are different and the program does not know what you want to do.  Which file do you keep?   I AVOID collisions with settings!
I have defined "decisions" that tell the program what to do.
     I set SyncBack to ALWAYS keep what is on on the smaller drives.
     SyncBack will ALWAYS delete the Backup file.
     The file from the smaller drive will ALWAYS replace the backup copy.
     Never delete files from the smaller drives.  
I do not set SyncBack to compare DATES or TIMES in my settings.
Since I do not work from the backup drive, it ALWAYS has the older copies.

2) Click  "Decisions - Files" to setup your options.
Here you can see my "simple" settings for the blue backup:  
     Copy everything from BLUE to the big BACKUP blue area.
     Just copy blue.
     Delete anything on backup that is not on blue.
     They should match.
 Click for PIC 2

3) My settings. My "file decisions" = OPTIONS that make choices for me.
I have defined:
     ALWAYS replace the BACKUP blue files with BLUE drive files!
If I reorganize the files on the small blue drive, then make a backup copy, the BACKUP file will have files deleted and written again to match the blue drive.
 Click for PIC 3

edited...added another picture and adjusted text.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 05:59:05 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2011, 05:15:51 PM »
The green drive has games/radio shows/videos. To play them, the drive must be attached.

When I finish projects, they are moved to the red drive for reference.
Also move things to the red drive to free up space on the laptop.

So the content of the small drives and my laptop changes.
I want my backup drive to match the small drives and my laptop.

If I delete files from my laptop or the little drives, I want them taken off the backup.
If I add files to the little drives, I want them added to the backup.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2011, 10:31:07 AM »
Thank you Sami, it is good to know how you make your back up, but would you mind to share how do you manage only your collisions? I couldn't find this word on "file decisions"

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2011, 05:50:29 PM »
Tony I told you in written form and showed you with pictures.   :yes:
I did not go into detail of my settings to waste your time or mine.
I was trying to show you how to adjust settings.

Collisions are avoided by using settings.  :yes:
There is no setting that says "collision".
You must decide in advance how YOU want to deal with your collisions to PREVENT them. There are 3 kinds of collisions.  You MUST Answer the 3 questions in "Decisions - Files" area to avoid your collisions! Answering these questions trains/teaches SyncBack how to do what YOU would do.

Go into Profiles > Modify and read the description.
Mines shows:
- Files will be synchronised between BLUE WD (%LABEL=My Passport%\) and WD2TB Blue (%LABEL=WD2TB%\500blueWDL\).
- If the same file has been changed on both BLUE WD and WD2TB Blue then the file on BLUE WD will replace the file on WD2TB Blue.
- Files only on BLUE WD are copied to WD2TB Blue.
- Files only on WD2TB Blue are deleted.
- If an empty directory is only on BLUE WD then the decision is automated.
- If an empty directory is only on WD2TB Blue then the decision is automated.
- The following files/folders will be ignored: .........

The "Decisions - Files" questions/answers I use are:
1) What to do if the same file has been changed on BLUE WD and WD2TB Blue  
 (offers 8 choices!)
My choice is first: BLUE WD (little drive) overwrites WD2TB Blue ALWAYS (backup)

2) What to do if a file exists on BLUE WD but not on WD2TB Blue (5 choices!)
My choice is first: Copy file to WD2TB Blue

3) What to do if a file exists on WD2TB Blue but not on BLUE WD (5 choices!)
My choice is third: Delete file from WD2TB if it hasn't been modified with the last 0 days.

By answering the 3 questions the way YOU would handle the files manually, SyncBack will do it for you.  Then there are no collisions.

I gave you pictures earlier in case you have different language screen.
PIC 3 shows all these options below with MY choices highlighted.

Think about what YOU would do manually....
Answer #1... Same file changed on both pc and backup..... What would YOU do manually?  Look at your choices...
- always to left, or
- or always to right or
- newer file overwrites, or
- older file overwrites, or
- larger file overwrites, or
- smaller file overwrites, or
- prompt for answer, or
- do nothing and skip file, or
- move file instead of copy....

Answer #2... File is on your PC but not on the backup unit..... What would YOU do manually?  Look at your choices...
- copy the file to the backup
- move the file to the backup (take it OFF the PC)
- delete the file from PC if it hasn't been modified with  days
- prompt for an answer
- do nothing and skip file

Answer #3... File is on your BACKUP but is NOT on the PC backup unit..... What would YOU do manually?  Look at your choices...
- copy the file to the PC
- move the file to the backup (take it OFF the BACKUP)
- delete the file from BACKUP if it hasn't been modified with  days
- prompt for an answer
- do nothing and skip file

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 05:55:35 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2011, 03:42:40 AM »
Thank you Sami, as usual, very prolific in your answers.
Sorry for not understanding you before. Probably, for a person like me, would be better explain it with simple words like "copy from A to B", instead of things like " - Files will be synchronised between BLUE WD (%LABEL=My Passport%\) and WD2TB Blue (%LABEL=WD2TB%\500blueWDL\)". Kind of confusing for my little old brain   :v8slap:
After reading two or three of those lines in a paragraph, I get easily lost  :-\.

Thank you again for your time and efforts, and please accept my apologies.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2011, 12:41:34 PM »
- Files will be synchronised between BLUE WD (%LABEL=My Passport%\) and WD2TB Blue (%LABEL=WD2TB%\500blueWDL\).
- If the same file has been changed on both BLUE WD and WD2TB Blue then the file on BLUE WD will replace the file on WD2TB Blue.
- Files only on BLUE WD are copied to WD2TB Blue.
- Files only on WD2TB Blue are deleted.
- If an empty directory is only on BLUE WD then the decision is automated.
- If an empty directory is only on WD2TB Blue then the decision is automated.
- The following files/folders will be ignored: .........
I did not write this. SyncBack did.
I would not have used "Files will be synchronised...". I had to look at it to spell it.  :D
I copied SyncBack text here, to show you what the program says.
I was not trying to make it more confusing. Sorry.

I gave you short sentences. Easier to translate. Like this:
    Copy everything from BLUE to the big BACKUP blue area.
     Just copy blue.
     Delete anything on backup that is not on blue.
     They should match.
and:
     ALWAYS replace the BACKUP blue files with BLUE drive files!

No apology needed from you.

as usual, very prolific in your answers
Yes, I wrote too much.
This is a difficult topic to explain in one language. And is harder when it is translated.
I am sorry this was not more helpful. All I can say is I tried my best.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:15:35 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2011, 07:12:23 PM »
I don’t know if it was coincidental or what, but since I made my last (and first) full C: drive backup a week ago my PC is working EXTREMELY slow. It takes an eternity to boot, to open any Office program, to open Internet pages, to change from one application to another, etc.
I have already done everything recommended for this situation:  Boot on safe mode and ran all the “antis” on hand – Malwarebytes, Spy&Destroy, CCleaner, RegVac, etc.   Nothing.   :verysad: I have to just wait, arm crossed, watching the disk red light flashing for long periods even if I’m not doing anything. What t.h. is he doing? I open the Task Manager when flashing and there are no process running. I also checked with msconfig the start up programs, nothing unusual (I guess). I think that soon or later it will give me a headache…

I read something about Highjackthis, but I’m not sure how to use and read the results... :surrender:

Any suggestion? :help:

P.S.
Just to avoid eventual conflicts, I removed the WINDOWS folder from the backup (on another hard drive, E:) to see if this was causing problems...

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2011, 07:37:38 PM »
Put in a tiny program from SYSINTERNALS called Process Explorer.  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
It is BETTER than Task Manager. You can really see what is happening.  What program is starting, stopping.  Which program is taking all the resources.

You may have a bad driver that is causing windows a problem.
Windows is DUMB. If it has an instruction to start..x1.dll and can not find that file or it won't start, Windows is too DUMB to stop!
Process explorer will show you things that Task Manager will not.  Some will be helpful. Some will be beyond your understanding (and mine).

Hijack this is a malware finder. There are forums where you can have someone read your file and give guidance. VERY powerful program and can break system. Only use with guidance!

The site I have used to clean the old office machines, neighbors, friends...  http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407
There are 2 pages of very detailed, step by step. What to do, what order to do it. Checklist do this, do this....
When you get to bottom of 1st page, click link for your operating system to get page 2.
If still having problems, there are instructions on that page to provide logs from the removers to get more instructions.

-Samantha