Author Topic: Trying to re-make my site  (Read 3658 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Taxi driver supreme
    • Huddersfield Minibus. GRS-AEROBUS
Trying to re-make my site
« on: August 23, 2013, 03:42:22 PM »
 :banghead: Hi Folks, the pc went bonk and my man reinstalled xp, so lost everything. I've got csb4 back onto the pc and want to re-make my website all over again. Can I copy page by page from the internet and paste into  csb4 or do I have to re-type everything. Maybe another way? Regards, Graeme.
Graeme.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Trying to re-make my site
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 11:30:12 AM »
WELLL....

You are not the first person to have this problem.   :hug:   :flowers:

Please read this thread for specific instructions/guide.
It describes several things in detail:
- Check for any backups of the TLX design file.
- Check for any backup that CSB may have made on your site.
- IMMEDIATELY make a backup copy of the pages that you have on your site right now using FTP software.  IF you start to update and wipe out existing pages in error, you may want the ability to put them back!
- how to rebuild your tlx design file.
- Make sure you keep the names of your web pages the SAME as you have them now so all your links will be the same.

PLEASE read the thread about backups! 

Have you unlocked your CSB4 copy with the serial number?  If not, it will stop working 30 days from installation.  You can get the serial number from GlobalSCAPE if necessary if you know what email you used to buy the software.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Taxi driver supreme
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 04:13:13 PM »
Hi Sami, thanks for great advice. How do I create the .tlx file and put it on my desktop? I will go down the route of copy/paste into it. Graeme.
Graeme.

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Taxi driver supreme
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 03:47:07 PM »
 :hapscream:Hi Sami, well I manages to find a thumb drive and discovered one of the sites stored there. I've altered a few things and am using coreftp to resend to Yahoo web hosting. Now, this core ftp puts the .tlx file in the left box ok, I connect [correct settings using AUTHSSL in the drop down menu] and left click the .tlx file and then the blue arrow and nothing goes over to the other box. After a while it comes up as not connecting. I've also put the firewall off. Just cannot get anything over to the other box. Any ideas.  :'(
Graeme.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 04:27:46 PM »
So glad you found a backup to work with.

Copy the TLX design file to your hard drive (keep old copy on the stick, just in case).
Then using CSB, open and immediately FILE SAVE AS the file and give it a new name.
Edit it and save.  CSB has issues when trying to edit/save a file on a USB stick but will have no problem if the file is on your own hard drive.

BEFORE you try to publish your files to your site, use your CORE FTP to DOWNLOAD the existing web pages, pictures, files, etc.  Keep them on your hard drive or a usb stick JUST IN CASE you need them.  Once you replace them they will be GONE so this step is a protection against GOOF.

Now  EITHER:
1) Put your publishing settings info into CSB and publish directly to website host, (THIS WILL OVERWRITE ALL EXISTING PAGES), OR
2) if you need SECURE transfer for your host, you will use FTP software to do it.   CoreFTP can do it and is a free program.
- Open CSB.
- PREVIEW your website, this causes CSB to "publish" your website to your own computer.  You can define the folder in CSB Publishing Options/HTML Directory.
- Open CoreFTP.
- On the LOCAL side of the window, go to the folder that contains your PREVIEW files.
- The first time you do this, all files will have the same MODIFIED dates. So you will need to MANUALLY decide which files you need to upload to the website.  Ex: if you changed the index.htm file, be sure to upload that page: highlight the page on the left side of the screen (LOCAL) and upload to the web server.
- After that first preview/FTP upload, it becomes EASY and quick.
- Edit in CSB.  Preview.  Open CoreFTP. Put your Preview folder on left (LOCAL) side and sort by Modified date.  Any NEW files will go to the top of the list and you know to only upload those files.  Since the changed files are in one place, it makes it VERY EASY to identify only those!

NOTE: The TLX file is a format that websites/hosts do not know.  There may be a block on that format for upload, or size of file. You can not expect to upload the TLX design file to website host and think that the browser will find the web pages. The TLX design file is compressed and MUST go through either the CSB PUBLISH (using built-in FTP) or CSB PREVIEW (creates your webpages on your own computer, locally) to write the HTML pages!

See this post re using FTP with CSB files. It will help you understand what you will see in the PREVIEW folder.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Taxi driver supreme
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 06:21:13 PM »
Hi Sami, thanks for the info. Read all but still not able to transfer files successfully. Here's where I'm up to. Couldn't for the life of me get coreftp to set up, so decided on filezilla which had a setting called implicit or something like that which would allow a connection. Got the  ISP people to change the router config to allow sftp transfer and hey presto all came up ok. I transferred the site to a folder in My downloads and made a few changes to the first page. Now I followed the instructions to PREVIEW and saved to My Docs. This where I'm doing something wrong. I go to filezilla, connect, get all the FOLDERS from My Docs on the left window, get the correct  preview saved folder and transfer over to the right window. No problem!!!!!!. Now I exit and open the web browser and open my site,, no changes to the site?????????? What went wrong?  The folder appears on the right window, but its a folder, not the files. Can't see how to transfer files only, or is that what I am supposed to do. I expected the first page to be over written but nothing happened. My other question is this. If I transfer  my other site,  which wasn't on the memory stick, like this one, by download and put the files into My downloads as a collection of files in a folder, how do I get them into CSB4 TO BE ABLE TO MODIFY THEM AND THEN RESEND VIA SFTP. The files I have already downloaded in this exercise are there ok, but are just a load of files in a folder. How does CSB GET TO THEM? We are nearly there. I've loads of patience [being a taxi driver in busy cities etc] and like to triumph in the end. CSB and TRELLIX were my first and only web building programmes and I aim to stick with them. All the best, for now. Graeme rofl  ???  :luck:  :banghead:
Graeme.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 06:44:42 PM »
The problem with coreftp was most likely the same as you had with filezilla, required outside intervention to "allow" access.  All FTP software acts the same in connection and transfer so if Filezilla works better for you, great!  :TUP:

OK... Glad you get connected and glad you are able to move files to the site.
BUT....WHERE are you sending the files?

In CSB and FTP software you sometimes have to define which folder you need to use for your website files. Notice that I have to publish to public_html in this CSB screen shot:

From my publishing page on samisite:
"Some hosts put you directly into your correct folder and do not assign something special, but most assign a specific folder to hold your website files. If you do not put your files into the correct folder on the host, your website will not be seen even though you completed a publish in CSB! 

This folder is often called web, www, public, public_html, html."

The same situation exists with FTP software.  Still have to put the files in the RIGHT folder to be seen online.

Connect to your host with FTP and wander. The folder should already have pages for your site in it.   Or call your HOST to ask which folder to use.  Then upload the correct folder.  You might want to CAREFULLY remove the files you put into the wrong folder.  They take up space and will not be of use to you.  DO NOT remove anything you do not understand!!!

SITE 2. 
IF you DO NOT have the .tlx design file(s) or the .cab backup file for your website, you have limited options. And none are very good options or very fast!

If neither of those options were done, you will need to start from scratch to place your websites into CSB again.

Go to this page and scroll down to the BLUE letters 
You can not import your pages into CSB.
Notes for rebuild:

http://samisite.com/forum/index.php?topic=820.0

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Taxi driver supreme
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 07:17:12 PM »
Hi Sami. great info thanks. Heres whats on the right pane when I connect. index.htm, index.html, index_I.htm,index_m.htm, index_t.htm, robots.txt, sitemap, TlxTrans.txt, folder tmp, folder yahoo_site_admin
All the others are jpegs and script files. I should be sending via ftp to one of these and suspect its the index.html. Am I correct?  Bye for now, Graeme.
Graeme.

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Taxi driver supreme
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »
Hi Sami, well I managed it. Got the amended site republished and am now happy. What an exercise!!!!! :hapscream: Many thanks for your brilliant help and advice. Now, I have to copy and paste the other site as I have no record of it. Keep up the great work. Bye for now, regards, Graeme. :banghead:
Graeme.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 11:26:05 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!    :hapscream:  :hapscream:  :hapscream:
have been on the road the last couple days and not able to connect.  So thrilled you are back up and running.

:TUP: :bdballoon:
-Samantha