Author Topic: Required response on drop down field?  (Read 3683 times)

Offline hidden

• ???
Required response on drop down field?
« on: February 11, 2009, 08:11:51 PM »
Hi-hi!

Sorry to barge in like this, but I'm so close...!

I customized the form on this page and figured out the html to make the name fields required: http://www.cognexus.org/webinar.htm

The site is built in CSB but I'm learning Dreamweaver and wondering if I can use a Dreamweaver-built form on a CSB page. That's question one.

The real question is how do I make that drop-down field required, i.e. how do I make people choose one of the options? Since there's already text in the field, the standard html code for hidden and required don't work here.

I know I'm pretty far over my head, but thought I'd check in with ya'll...

Thanks much!

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
Re: Required response on drop down field?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 01:58:10 AM »
You should be able to insert a DW-created form in CSB using Insert HTML. Just create the form in DW on a blank new page, select the form, and then select the Code tab in DW. The HTML code for the form should be already highlighted. Just copy and paste that code into the Insert HTML box in your CSB page. I did not install CSB in my new PC so I cannot test it, but it should work.

Here is a really simple form I created with DW. First, try inserting it in a CSB page with Insert HTML.

<form id="form1" name="form1" method="post" action="">
      <label>test
        <select name="1" id="1">
        </select>
      </label>
    </form>

Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Required response on drop down field?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 08:34:24 AM »
Forms are made up of 3 components:
1) header and sometimes script installation
2) fields
3) Submit button

#2 and #3 can be made in tons of software (DW, flash, notepad, you name it) and put into CSB.

BUT.... having the fields and submit does not make the form work.

Our old CSB form worked because of the header information that said to send the form to GlobalSCAPE server.  That server sent the form to YOUR address.
But forms built with that header will no longer work because the server is gone.

SO.  You will need to have a header that works for you.

You can send forms through another 3rd-party server, or install a script on your own website that will push the email where you need it to go. I have never worked with a DW type form so I don't know what it does for the form processing, the #1 header area and script.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )