Author Topic: CSB Website Optimization; Title Change  (Read 3677 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
CSB Website Optimization; Title Change
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:37:14 AM »

I'm trying to get my website (www.puterdr.ca) optimized in the search results.  Following Google's instructions says that some descriptive words should be added to the Title tag, with a unique title for every page.

When I go to the Page Properties box for the home page, and add some words in the Title properties, it also adds these words to the title of the webpage.  I've searched Samisite, so sorry if this has been asked, but how can you add these words without affecting the page?  Is it kosher to change the font to white so people don't see them?  There has to be a better way.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Howie

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: CSB Website Optimization; Title Change
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 03:30:08 PM »
You can just modify the the template for your own use.
Many people like the title to show.  Many do not.

Would you like to connect via remote and I can walk you through several items that you should consider on your site?
Writing instructions takes longer.   ;)

- adjust the layout
- Title is the name of the page, appears at the top of the window and on search results.
- Summary is the page description that shows up on Yahoo & other search engines.
- keywords for each page
- use ALT and TITLE tags on links and images
- use Text links
- get incoming links of APPROPRIATE kinds.
- robots.txt file
DO NOT hide words on your page by changing font colors. That can get your site BANNED, bumped OFF Google/Yahoo and others!

This page goes into meta tags and keywords:   http://www.samisite.com/publish/pageproperties.htm
This page goes into other SEO for CSB sites:   http://www.samisite.com/publish/spidersandrobots.htm

Titles on home pages should at LEAST say your company name.  Then should say what they are.
Search for iframes on google. samisite.com has a page listed   GOOGLE ranked #5 of about 33,300,000 results.
Google and Yahoos show differnt descriptions for the same page. 
One picks up the first workds on the page as the description. The other picks up the Summary field in the page properties!
(Have changed thetem to now match by the way...next time I am spidered I will see a change!)

You can create a new page layout  (Format > Edit Page Layout > NEW (give it a new name and make it based on similar type) >OK
Then make all the changes you want on that page layout.  remove the TITLE field if you don't want to use it.
Click FINSHED to save it.
Thengo to a page that you want to use that new layout.  Click Format > Apply page layout > OK
Apply that page layout to any page.  
The changes you make to the Page Layout (like removing title) will happen to any page that has that layout applied.
Your page will automatically adjust.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 03:54:05 PM »

How do we hook up remotely, and how come I can't find your email address to write you directly??

Howie

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 07:11:27 PM »
LOL.... You have my email already.
Please check your email address for a note from me re how we can do this.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )