Author Topic: Xara Xtreme - new version  (Read 7201 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Xara Xtreme - new version
« on: March 27, 2008, 09:29:47 PM »
Holy cow.  The new versions of Xara Xtreme are in beta, and they are FABULOUS!

Ok.. I have had stand alone Xara 3d6 to make 3d animations and graphics for a long time now. Been impressed with what it can do (especially in SKILLED hands not mine!).

I found the simplicity of that program has been added to the new XXP4!
Though limited to certain functions, the ability to extrude directly in XXP is terrific!

As a test, I took a clip art provided by Xara and applied a bit of 3d to it. This change took me about 3 minutes. Really like the ability to take grouped items and apply lights and create depth to parts of the image without having to export pieces to 3d6. VERY EASY. And SO QUICK. LOVE this function and see many purposes for it. Thanks XARA!

This feature alone...Worth the upgrade if you have one of the programs.
Can't wait to get more into the changes since my 3.0 (color line is confusing to me now, will need to read more about that!)

Read more here.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Re: Xara Xtreme - new version
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:10:45 PM »
you are making me want it! lol
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 02:42:32 AM »
As an affiliate I go this notice today

NEW: Xara Xtreme and Xara Xtreme Pro V4

We have just launched new versions of our flagship products, Xara Xtreme and Xara Xtreme Pro - which means there are also updates to our two popular Xara bundles, Xara Graphic Studio (Xtreme + Xara3D + Webstyle) and Xara Graphic Studio Pro (Xtreme Pro + Xara3D + Webstyle).

The updates to both products are significant and initial reactions from the press and customers are extremely positive,

SO SAMMY, which one do you have again? There are so many similar names I get them confused.
& If you don't have it - have you ever tried extreme pro?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 01:58:45 PM »
Ok.... Here goes... I have SEVERAL versions of this program.
I bought xara xtreme before there was a Pro version. I kept upgrading it.
Once the Pro version came out, I upgraded and got the Pro version of the product I had and then skipped a version of it. When version 4 came out, I upgraded only my Pro version to the lastest.

The only version of the product I currently use is  xara xtremePRO 4.0   (XXP 4) and I love it!

Pull up this page to see the features list for both versions.
I choose to use the PRO version for a few specific reasons:

1) I use it for business, not just pleasure. 
For business, I need PANTONE support (specific color choice) and excellent PDF exporting. 
Professional printers use PDF as the industry standard (formerly EPS) for VECTOR graphics.
The PRO version of the program allows me to use XXP instead of Adobe products (and that is a great thing!)

2) I have used the program to create really nice panoramas, manually.  Very pleased.  Well, version 4 PRO now has automatic creation of panoramas with the addition of Panorama Studio built in.  When I get a chance to play, I WILL be using this option!  It has gotten some very nice reviews.  This option is not built into the regular version.

3) Microsoft has come up with a NEW vector format (instead of playing well with others).  It is XPS.  The PRO version of the program can import and export this new format so I am not locked out by using this software.

I just did a major project for our company.  I designed a 19x14 counter mat using XXP4, from scratch, with NO TEMPLATE. It needed to be a marketing piece AND a training piece and from the reaction I am getting, people are pleased with it for both purposes.  I used layers, the 3d extrusion tool (WONDERFUL STUFF!), pantone color, bitmap images, shadows, vector art.... And just got in our sample today from the printers.  EXCELLENT.  (You can see small highly optimized image here (link removed) 200 kb vs the real file which is over 16MB in xara, 74mb 300dpi tif so the quality is nasty on this little version but you still get the idea.  The button menu on left are 3d extrusions.)

This new version IS the best it has ever been, with some REALLY worthwhile updates. 
Really like working in this program.  Want to know more, want to get better with it.  It is FUN to use.  Like a kid with a coloring book, you just play.  And the more you play with it, the more fun it becomes. 

And now, believe it or not, it now does WYSIWYG web pages!  You can build your buttons in the program, build the web page, optimize your images, crop, then produce web pages!  OMG...I wouldn't have to go to any other program....!    :D    I have NOT tried the web pages function.  Have not had time....

XX and XXP both do animation and flash.  I am impressed with some of the flash features but still prefer my animation shop 3 (from Paint Shop Pro/Jasc) for my animations....

Bundles are just where they give you multiple products at a reduced price.
I already own copies and my company also own copies of:
- XXP4
- Webstyle (does buttons and menus-used for CSB built tuckerkirby.com)
- Xara 3D 6  (makes 3d vector graphics with movement/animation or static, far more advanced than XXP4 3d effects)
So my bundle if I were to buy from scratch would have been Xara Graphic Studio Pro.
Each of the programs is very useful and some parts of each overlap...
XXP4 has a limited 3d extrusion built-in now and can do web buttons/menus but the stand-alone programs do MORE than XXP4 in their own genre.  Now that XXP4 does basic 3d, I will not use my Xara 3d 6 as much!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 08:53:06 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 08:57:51 PM »
Thanks for the helpful reply and wow that mat looks great! Good job!!!! I have the 3d program now and like that - but am seriously thinking of getting the pro. I don't have time at the moment but in the near future hopefully. It does look like an awesome program and your recommendation and description is very inspiring to hurry up and make time. lol

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 11:20:49 PM »
Thanks.  That piece was a labor of love.  Began with very rough discussions, misunderstandings and bad feelings but ended by me defying what was wanted by the owner of the company so I could please my sales force! I got their input as I made the design so HOPEFULLY they will not have a problem with the final since we ordered 1000 units of the mats today.

What 3d program do you have?  I like xara's 3d6 for its simplicity and ease of use.

I would recommend that you download Pro.  Try it.  You get 30 days to play.  There are tons of tutorials and movies and of course the xara forum at talkgraphics.com  (But if you post there, DO NOT use CAPS for any purpose on that forum....even if to just STRESS a single word as I sometimes do on this forum!  I was chided for putting a couple capped words in a multi-paragraph post!  :o :-[ :P) 

Try a couple of the simple tutorials.  Once you get the hang of just a couple tools, you are off and running.  I tend to lose a LOT of time when I work in that program....Tweak a bit, Tweak a bit more, Tweak a bit more.....Look up and GACK! another hour is gone.  :D  It is addictive.  But VERY DIFFERENT than bitmap (pixel editing) done in Paint Shop Pro, etc.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 08:59:26 PM »
I am prepping for a couple of trips but hope after I settle in while on the second long term one that I might play with it but who knows. I have so much on my plate. It does remain at the top of my list of software to try and probably buy. WTheck NO caps on their forum? lol Wow somebody seems a little too uptight yeah? That is funny. I don't normally use them any way unless I am trying to make a real urgent POINT about something.  LOL

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 12:46:01 AM »
YA...LIKE NO CAPS MAN!   EVER....!   Its a great forum...I just have to remember to NOT use CAPS.

I DON'T LIKE ALL CAPS LIKE THIS BECAUSE IT IS SHOUTING AND ASK PEOPLE NOT TO DO IT ON THIS FORUM BUT NONE?  I explained in PM that being able to CAPS a word or two is just another technique to emphasize like bolding to me. But I was reminded that since it is an international group (mainly UK), many people outside the united states consider it very rude to use caps even in a limited way.   

On this forum our international visitors must think I am a really not nice person for my improper and ill-advised use of CAPS.... Ah well....My intent is not to offend and if I do so, then my sincere apologies for any misunderstandings.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 02:57:08 PM »
CAPS are extrememly rude in Europe? Wow - learn something new every day. I agree using all caps is annoying or obnoxious but a few well chosen capped words I am with with you on - that it acts the same way as HIGHLIGHTING.  I am on a lot of international forums and have never seen any stink about it anywhere else unless there is an overuse and continual use of them but no more protest than if it were a USA site. They must have a chosen few who are really focused on the cap thing over there. But its great to know they have a wonderful forum. That is worth so much!