Author Topic: Specific purpose graphic design software needed.  (Read 12830 times)

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Specific purpose graphic design software needed.
« on: September 25, 2010, 05:36:13 PM »
I need to create graphics that look like over-sized icons (that look like large iPhone or Windows Vista icons) measuring up to 4x4 inches (10 cm square) at a minimum of 300 dpi resolution. The icons have to be dual purpose in the sense that they will be reduced in size for web site publishing as well as full size high quality full color book publication printing. I'd appreciate it if anyone could mention a software program that could do this. Many thanks.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Specific purpose graphic design software needed.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 06:56:44 PM »
VECTOR drawing is your best bet for this type of image, NOT bitmap.  Can be stretched, shrunk and you retain your image continuity. Don't bother with Paint Shop Pro (bitmap editor) unless you just want irritation. They say they support vector, but only limited.

Xara's programs are my favorite for these type images.   Also the program exports optimized images perfect for website work.  Other compatible software for vector images: Illustrator, CorelDraw, but both of those are huge $$$.

2 versions to consider, both with free trials, both with 30 day return policies. (Comes from Britain)
Both are VECTOR drawing programs, with other features.
- I am currently using Xara Designer Pro 6 for vector and bitmap images, animations, flash, and some web designing. This is the best software they offer, professional level with professional PDF, commercial printing and pantone color support built in.  More website options including nav bars.  I began years ago and just kept upgrading. Until recently I NEEDED the pantone and commercial printing (defined consistent commercial printer colors). Now not so much. But you never know what the future holds.  :yes:  
- They have another version, one step down from that one, called Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 6 (formerly called Xara Xtreme).
This version would be able to do everything you list in your post.  For your publishing version, I think that version will you can export in a pdf format with 300 dpi.  If not, you could send me the file and I would gladly export your graphic for you a few times.  :)

You can see the comparison for these products here:  http://www.xara.com/us/products/designer/compare  and more features noted here:
http://www.xara.com/us/products/designer/advanced

Excerpt from my review on the Pro version of the product:
I hate the full price of the XDP, PRO version for first time users. Wow! What a chunk of money to put out at once.
Then I think about what you get with it:
Vector program it compares with: Illustrator CS4 cost: was $600, now $581.37 at amazon.com now that CS5 is out OR Corel Draw $500, professional quality vector programs for professional printing projects
PLUS photo tools of Paint Shop Pro  photo abilities $60-$80 (bitmap features are almost same now)
PLUS panorama photo stitching $30-$50 depending on program
PLUS animated gif software (since Paint Shop Pro no longer supports it) $20-$50 depending on program
PLUS basic flash software $30  XDP has about 1/2 the abilities of Swish MiniMax3 at $60
PLUS better than basic 3d extrusion of vector graphics   $25-$50 depending on program
PLUS desktop publisher program Anything you can do in Publisher is possible in this program! v2007: $148
PLUS website building software  CSB was $50, XWD is $50/Site Spinner $50 or Site Spinner Pro $100
PLUS. wonderful features not in any other software, Like:
- Speed is AMAZING. Adobe and Corel products can not compare for speed of rendering! Truly no comparison, evnen not using PRO version!
- The Layers go down to individual object/item on the layer making it simple to find/identify/fix problems.
So when you consider the sum of it's parts this one program XDP Pro at $300 is a great bang for the buck
I have used many programs over the years for all these purposes.
And I have used Xara's Pro software for all these purposes. Over the years, I have turned to Xara's product more and more. It has become the favorite "DESIGN" software, hands-down. Interface is clean and the easy to see/use.
Menus make sense. The program uses the same techniques whether you are using the photo, or vector or web design areas. Once you learn how to use a tool, you have learned it for all aspects of the program.

All in all, the PRO version is my favorite since it fits EVERY aspect of design, and does it well.
Only one program to upgrade going forward.  
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 07:10:55 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 12:21:37 PM »
Thanks Sami for the detailed reply. Good to hear you are still happy with XDP. My only concern is their future existence because of bad experiences with Corel which I bought before they were bought-out or taken over and stopped upgrading until recently reappearing, and then the same happened to Jasc PSP which I also bought and have disappeared. Illustrator CS5 is expensive at over $700 and I do not know if it is worth it, and Corel is back (under the Adobe label I think), but they won't see me again after dropping me. I use InDesign for publications so it would make sense to go the Illustrator route for compatibility reasons, but I don't know if it a valid reason as a vector is a vector. I will see if Xara has a trial. Thanks once again.

PS Can one convert a Bitmap file (I presume bitmaps are Raster images) into a Vector image and save as a jpg file with XDP?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:08:18 PM by Ed »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 05:13:40 PM »
Yes, bitmap images are raster. Digital photos are raster. Many icons are gif on the web, many of those began life as a vector image! Raster images get blurry/fuzzy/jagged edges when you expand size. Vector stays clean and crisp despite the size change!

Illustrator vs XDP:  I use both. HATE Illustrator, LOVE XDP.  Both are vector but the programs themselves are so drastically different.
- XDP is drastically faster. Huge difference.  With IL you have to wait for changes to be redrawn. Almost immediate in Xara programs.
- Menus in XDP are more like the old PSP program, very intuitive.  No so with IL.
- Compatibility. Yes there are times a printer "required" an IL only file. But the industry standard for vector programs is now PDF files! Even IL exports, imports pdf as a default format.  
- Xara design files can support some different features that are not in IL or PDF (3d, gradients, etc) but these things can be converted/copied into a bitmap layer for export purposes. Works fine, very compatible. This is a counter mat I designed Made in Xara Xtreme Pro, using layers, the 3d extrusion tool, pantone color, bitmap images, shadows, vector art. The sample image is 200 kb vs the real file which is over 16MB in xara, 74mb 300dpi tif so the quality is nasty on this little version but you still get the idea. The button menu on left are 3d extrusions. NO TEMPLATE was used.  This is MY design!
- Xara programs have a "fun" factor, lower learning curve than IL. I use both. PREFER XDP (or Xara Xtreme family) over Illustrator any day.
- Xara programs DO have trial periods. Download and play.
- Get more for your money with Xara than Adobe, any day of the week. Upgrade prices are usually hundreds of dollars!
- Corel is not associated with Adobe. Competitor with Adobe.  Corel used to have the XARA drawing engine inside CorelDraw, under a lease agreement with Xara. When it ran out, Xara decided to release their own program (X1) to take advantage of their own technology. When Corel lost the Xara engine, they stopped updating CorelDraw for a while.  Jasc was bought by Corel and PSP has been renovated by them. Better under Jasc. CorelDraw was better with the Xara engine.  
- Xara was bought by a german company a couple years ago, Magix. But they remain a british company, with same staff, with more $ to upgrade and continue development of the Xara branding!   Major upgrades have come out since the buyout.
- Bitmaps are made of tiny little colored dots callled pixels.  Vectors are mathmatical equations. Small pieces of a puzzle you draw and layer to create a full image. You can not just run a conversion program. You can do one of the following: 1) manually or 2) automatically trace an image into smaller colored blobs.  Tracing can take quite some time depending on the graphic. Automatic tracing is available in Illustrator and in Xara programs, but neither is great if your graphic is quite complicated.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 10:19:56 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 10:35:54 AM »
I downloaded the XDP trial, took a quick look at the program but had to shut it down - just too many things to do. According to your description of vector files, it looks like a PDF file incorporates vector algorithms. Is that correct? I will look at XDP, hopefully before the trial expires. I also found a site selling ready made icon sets, some are vector too. This could save a lot of time: h**p://www.iconshock.com Many thanks.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 08:00:58 PM »
but had to shut it down - just too many things to do.
Check out the SAMPLE images that you can download and pull one apart. Amazing work with the automobile, and Microscope!
Remember Xara program has a much lower learning curve than illustrator. Watch a couple of the videos and you will see how easy it is to get started. I know Rick will agree (he uses Xara programs too).

According to your description of vector files, it looks like a PDF file incorporates vector algorithms. Is that correct?
CAN incorporate vector algorithms.  But not all PDF files do.  PDF files can also carry just flat raster images and text. Depends on how the file was made and what the file is intended to do.  I can create a PDF file that pulls into just about any vector program on Mac, Windows, etc. That image can be torn apart into pieces, layers and is fully editible. All the Pail, box, catalog, jug, etc designs sent to printers were PDF with vector images.
OR I can create PDF files that just have plain ole' bitmap images that can not be played with at all!  
My choice from within Xara programs.  

Interesting site. Neat  Grabbed a BUNCH of vector files, samples, that I can dismantle and play with...adjust, recolor, pull apart and use.   :TUP:

If you intend to have something that is unique to your product/brand, you will need custom artwork.

If you intend to have something that is limited to only SOME companies, then the stock, or "off the rack" type graphic will suit. If you get a vector graphic so you can modify it to change color or sizes, etc.  If it is delivered only in a raster format (jpg, png, bmp, gif, ico etc) you are limited with editing abilities, size, etc.  
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 10:13:06 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »
I got 353 free sample vector images from that site.  Note that some of the download links that say VECTOR are actually zip files that contain FLASH fla and swf files instead of ai.  Found that a bit strange.

Took a bit f time to bring in and rename/sort. Naming repeats from set to set, some are better than others. Should be able to play with them and learn some techniques for making better curves, reflections by dismantling and seeing the layers. Did it late at night when too tired to do "manual labor.   :)
License allows me to tear them apart, use in my own projects just not offer them in a collection.

Have to use Ghostscript/XnView to quickly preview the file images/thumbnails since Adobe no longer allows Microsoft Explorer to preview its images.   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
HATE Adobe products.  They DO NOT play well with others.  Tell me WHY it is necessary to block the PREVIEW of an .ai or .ps image?  Makes NO SENSE! Yet Adobe does it.  SHEESH!  What a pain in the.....
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 04:12:00 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 06:02:43 PM »
Just got back from a trip and will look in more detail tomorrow. Also still have to work through XDP but it is definitely easier than AI.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 12:12:21 PM »
Adobe products (Illustrator, Photoshop, Pagemaker) have all been difficult for my brain to understand. The tools may be similar to other brands of software (brushes, pressure sensitive, shapes, fills, etc) but the menus and actual use of the tools is much more confusing in the Adobe products.

I find the Xara products are better designed for the way my brain is wired. I catch on quicker with them than the Adobe products. 

When you watch the XDP videos on their site or watch the videos on YOUTUBE by XaraChris and others, you see how simple and straight forward the tools are in XDP.  I am still getting used to the changes to the XDP "flyout menus" that group certain tools together. One nice thing about the program: you can adjust the toolbar to show any tools you use all the time. Easy to customize.

I am not an artist. Never will be. But the right program like XDP can enhance my skills and make the most of them. And I ENJOY working in Xara products where I find the Adobe products feel like WORK..struggle to accomplish similiar technique.  Have to wait for rendering with Adobe, not in Xara. So liking the program and finding it is useful for so many projects makes me more likely to turn to it than the Adobe products.

I take it from comments at TalkGraphics forum that I am not alone in this view.  But of course the decision for your program is a personal one. One that fits your needs and abilities. 
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 08:52:09 AM »
Unfortunately Xara's XPD trial, only 5 or 6 days, expired. I did manage to start it soon after downloading it and am sorry I could not try it before it expired. I also tried to open some free vector files I downloaded, but XDP would only open .eps and not other files including .ai or even .pdf formats. I am away again next week but will have more access to the internet so will see if I can Google for this kind of software and write back on what I find.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 05:32:49 PM »
1) Xara Designer Pro 6 (not just the Photo and Graphics Designer - different software!) imports AI, PDF and EPS files. It also exports PDF files which can be imported to any vector program. (Don't know if the trial does it but the real program certainly does!) 
"Designer offers support for a huge range of file formats, making it easy to exchange your work with other users and programs. This includes common bitmap types (eg GIF, JPEG, BMP, PNG, TIFF, PSD, and RAW photos) and key vector types (eg PDF and AI/EPS, and EMF/WMF). For text Xara Designer supports RTF (Rich Text Format) and for websites HTML and Flash."

2) Trial period is 30 days from installation.  After 7, you are required to register your name/email and get an extension code for the rest of the trial time as stated in the support area here:
http://support.xara.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=2873&nav=0,433,434
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 05:44:11 AM »
Thanks for the info on XDP. The software asked me to register and I declined because I did was not informed that there was a registration requirement up-front after 7 days. I did not want to register for something I was not sure about, and I try to avoid unnecessary registrations. My needs are rather specific and time is limited so I hope you understand as I can see you like the program. I would love to be able to go through all the graphics programs out there but have discovered a very simple time saving solution. Some of my self designed MS Paint, Swish, Paint.NET, Microangelo etc. images can be converted to PDF. I've been using Microangelo to make icons for our co. software and it can do up to 256x256px images, including gradients. Converting these to a PDF and saving as 300dpi creates an acceptable quality vector (approx like a 3x4 inch 300dpi image) that can be stretched to suite most CMKY printing and for variable web page sizes.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 11:23:28 AM »
I am not stuck on just the Xara products.  Like them yes, but do use other software.

I do want to make sure you understand what you are doing or you will HATE the result!
I have worked with MANY professional printers for paper, plastic, cardboard, and more so I am confident in my advice concerning images.

Just because you can make a PDF does not make it vector.
If the item is vector to begin with, PDF format will retain the vector properties.
If the item is a raster/bitmap to begin with, PDF format will retain the raster properties but NOT convert it to vector.
You can not take a pixeled image and tell it to convert to vector that way.
Converting from vector to bitmap takes seconds but not the other way around!

Most "document" type PDF files have text and bitmap images.

Please note that according to the http://www.microangelo.us/compare.asp site, the images that these programs make are raster/bitmap files
Import from PSD, PNG, JPG, and BMP formats        
Export to PSD and PNG formats        
Export to True Color (24 bit) or Alpha-Blended (32 bit) BMP format        
Preserve all RGB layer information and selections when importing PSD files        
Export complete layer and selection information to PSD files.

Having said that, it is true that any professional printers will accept any 300dpi raster image (tif is most preferred but jpg and bmp also accepted) and it is NOT necessary to provide a PDF version of a bitmap image for printers. Provide a TIF if possible.

The EASY way to tell if an image is vector:  
make the image bigger.  Even if you start with a 300 dpi raster image (good print quality), it is a fixed size. When you try to make it larger than the original design, the image pixelates! Distortion increases with size difference.

http://www.samisite.com/external/bitmap_vs_vector.pdf
Please look at this PDF file.  The first page is VECTOR images.  Note that the original tiny image is copied and stretched.  All edges remain clean.  The second page is RASTER images. When you take the original tiny image and copy & stretch it in the same way, you have pixilation.   Do one more thing.  Change your Adobe acrobat Reader settings.  ZOOM IN on the page.  When you bring the page to 200 of even 600% the first page remains CLEAR and smooth.  The second page becomes even more pixilated.
At the time pdf conversion, the first page was vector and remains vector now. The second page was raster and remains raster now.I prepared a simple example for you.  

SO, if you want to provide a professional printer with an image that is usable, it should be vector when possible.
If not, then the 300dpi raster image will work, IF it is already the size that is required!  NEVER expect that a raster image will be stretched larger!  You will NOT like the result.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 11:36:11 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 10:03:26 AM »
Thanks for ensuring I'm on the right track. I certainly appreciate it very much. I wrote "Converting these to a PDF and saving as 300dpi creates an acceptable quality vector" and meant 'bitmap'. :oops: Sorry, you are absolutely correct!  :clapping: Acrobat stores PDF's with the original format and mine was setup to do so by default. Micoangelo is raster/bitmap, not vector. My Acrobat is also setup to convert most formats to 'Lossless' formats (which increases file size) and I use either EPS or PDF whenever possible. I don't know which is better, EPS or PDF, but find that these formats produce good quality images for printing, that can be stretched (to an acceptable degree if the original raster is large enough and has at least 300 dpi).

Here is a list of file extensions categorized into formats (source: Wikipedia). Note that early versions of .AI were not vector but EPS although it is listed below as vector, and that the latest .AI are not open-able if a restriction is encoded to only open the file in AI CS5.
--------------------
Raster formats
ANI · ANIM · APNG · ART · BEF · BMF · BMP · BSAVE · CAL · CGM · CIN · CPC · DPX · ECW · EXR · FITS · FLIC · FPX · GIF · HDRi · ICER · ICNS · ICO · ICS · IGES · ILBM · JBIG · JBIG2 · JNG · JPEG · JPEG 2000 · JPEG-LS · JPEG-HDR · JPEG XR · MNG · MIFF · PBM · PCX · PGF · PGM · PICT · PICtor · Pixel · PNG · PPM · PSP · RAD · RGBE · SGI · TGA · TIFF (Logluv TIFF) · WBMP · WebP · XAR · XBM · XCF · XPM

Raw formats
CIFF · DNG

Vector formats
AI · CDR · DXF · EVA · EMF · PGML · SVG · VML · WMF · XAR
Compound formats
DjVu · EPS · PDF · PostScript · PSD · SWF · XAML

Other Related
Exchangeable image file format (EXIF) · Extensible Metadata Platform (XMP)
---------------

The SVG files are free vector graphic formats developed by W3C which is a public group that create open source stuff. I've tried making SVG's but must admit it is a lot of hard work just to make one design but it is free or donation-able. I always though WMF stood for Windows Media File until I tried to open a WMF file in WMP and thought my WMP was corrupt. Laughs on me  :-[

Thanks for persisting Sami and hope things are going well.

Sam edited:  XAR is aEITHER a raster or vector, depending on the content of the image!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 02:51:09 PM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 03:22:07 PM »
as a wikipedia editor, I adjusted that article to include XAR under vector section

This is what Xara says about the .xar format
Xar Format Specification
The Xar file format, previously known as the Flare file format, is an ultra-compact, open, vector graphic format. It is also the native graphics format for Xara X application (and also its predecessors such as CorelXARA).

The document below describes the format in detail and provides information for third parties interested in converting to or from this graphics format.

Why another vector graphics format? The Xar file format is not new. It dates back nearly ten years and so it predates more recent formats such as SVG. It is not designed to compete with SVG, but Xar files are considerably simpler to understand (the SVG spec is 700 pages) and, more compact (often 10:1). However the primary reason for the existence of the open file format specification is to enable third parties to read and write the Xara X native files.

Wikipedia references:
- image formats
- raster graphics
- vector graphics

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 04:49:56 PM »
Any idea where or how Adobe Acrobat stores the vector info of original vector graphic in a PDF file?  ???

I looked under File>Document Properties but there is mention that the original file is a vector (SVG in my case).

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 09:48:09 AM »
I am confused by the question.

It is not a zip file. PDF file is not a group of individual files that can be broken back to their orginal pieces.
I know of no way to see the "coding" for an image.

PDF if is its own format.  It converts any text, image, into its own format.
If an image is a raster bitmap than the image is maintained in raster format.
If an image is in vector format, it is maintained in vector format.
To get the image back out as an image, you either export it (for raster type) or import the PDF file as is into the editing software.
Illustrator, Xara, CorelDraw and other major vector image programs etc can open and convert a PDF vector image because that is becoming the standard file format for vector storage.

Here's a simple (8mb) movie that describes an easy way to tell if the images in your PDF file are vector or raster using adobe acrobat!
(Might want to right click to download and play it on your own computer if you have a slower connection)

http://www.samisite.com/external/pdf_images.wmv

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 09:13:23 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 12:54:11 PM »
Hi Sami,

I was hoping the PDF e.g. in its properties, would give some indication of what the original graphic/s were.

Thanks.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 07:57:45 PM »
HMMMM... interesting.  Never thought about it. 
You can tell what program created the PDF file in the properties using Acrobat Pro.  And when I look in the file meta data, it does not show difference between tiff, png, bmp, jpg or any other image type. 
Once the image/graphic has been brought into a PDF file, they are embedded in the file.  And I know of no way to tell what the image was originally.  Even the "export" type programs send the image out of the program in the format you define (bmp, jpg, bmp, etc) not based on the original content.  Maybe that's a question to be asked on the ADOBE forums...?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 08:24:33 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 01:10:39 PM »
I've just finished creating a series of .svg vector files with Inkscape, and they were also saved as .pdf files. Acrobat does not mention if the .pdf files contents are either bitmap or vector based in their properties after opened in Acrobat Standard. Maybe Acrobat Pro does. Maybe it's a nice to have and not an essential as they are now Adobe's .pdf files. I also tried the old .eps format, but no luck either. Good idea about the Adobe forums. I'll see if I get a chance, otherwise you are welcome to beet me to it if you wish.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 05:31:13 PM »
I would like to see one of the PDF files.

Would like to import it to my Xara Designer Pro and into my Illustrator CS4 too to see how well it imports.
Since I do not have Inkscape, I would be curious how compatible the exported pdf is with my two other editing programs.

I would open it in Adobe Acrobat PRO 9 and see what the properties show and provide that to you if you would like. 
You could upload it to a private area of your website and send me a link in email then remove it.
Promise not to share your file, use it or break your privacy.

I am going to head to the Adobe forum or tech support to see what I can find out...You have my curiousity started now...   :TUP:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 09:06:08 AM »
Sure. I'll send it via e-mail as it is a small file.