Author Topic: How do you convert a *.jpeg file to a *.cdl file?  (Read 18706 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • INTP
How do you convert a *.jpeg file to a *.cdl file?
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:53:48 AM »
Am working on headstones stencils and sometimes customers want a specific picture to be stenciled and engraved; stencil that I don't have in my *.cdl pics.
I end up having to go over the outline of said pic, dot by dot, so that it will actually be possible to cut it on the stonemask material. Hate it.
Is there a way round this? How would one go about converting a *.jpeg to a *.cdl?
Any clues or tips very appreciated :)
"We live on the surface of a 4-dimensional doughnut." Marcus Du Sautoy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: How do you convert a *.jpeg file to a *.cdl file?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 01:10:07 PM »
Are you using a Cadkey or SignLab?   Both are professional graghic programs that use the cdl file extension.  Both use VECTOR graphics for design.
Or do you have a different program?

The following are typical RASTER (bitmap) image formats:  JPEG, JPG, BMP, GIF, PNG, TIF, TIFF....
They are drawn with tiny dots called pixels, constrained to specific size.

Vector images like the one you need are totally different as you know. They are mathmatical formulas that create graphics.  These images are scaleable (stretch/shrink) and retain content and appearance.
Typical vector formats are  EPS, PDF, AI, CDR, XAR, WMF, SVG, DXF, EMF

We ALL have to do the trace/redraw technique to take a raster to vector for logos and printing issues!   :banghead: :watchyawn:   Tedious and time consuming, it is often the best option.

I do not know of a program that can go directly from jpg to cdl.  Can your program IMPORT other vector graphic formats (like the ones listed above)?  If so, you could consider going from jpg to a different vector graphic.
Consider using an online service like h**p://vectormagic.com/home that will convert the image for you to a format that you can IMPORT to your software.  Free trial,  mo/online subscription,  or buy full software (cheaper than AI!)
Very good conversions that I have seen.

Two other programs that I know of can trace a RASTER image and create a VECTOR graphic.  One is the HUGELY expensive Adobe Illustrator cs5 (with LIVE TRACE), the other is Xara's Design Pro (XDP) with a bitmap tracer built-in (best suited to high contrast black and white images)
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • INTP
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 04:48:18 PM »
WOW.

Brilliant! That's what I call proper and precise data :)  :hapscream:

Yep, I'm using SignLab, and I think I can import like that...I have to try this 'converter' you're suggesting. Fiddling, experimenting!
I work on graphics only on Wednesdays (rest of the time I'm a reptile keeper!) and everything is on my computer at work so I'll be able to try yer suggestions only in a week time basically, but I'll definitely let you know how it went!
Glad to know that everybody is on the same boat when it comes to retracing hahahaha. Because the drawings I work on will be sandblasted on granite, for example, they have to have a 'double outline' which can make things AAARGH.
"We live on the surface of a 4-dimensional doughnut." Marcus Du Sautoy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 05:06:15 PM »
Double outline?  HMMM.... Even if you get it converted by vectormagic.com or other service, it will not be double.
Of course once you have the basic drawing converted, you could edit the graphic further once it is in the software, cutting your time in half or more maybe.

Please do tell me how well it works for you.  Wish you luck with it  :luck:

Reptile keeper and Graphic Artist..  :TUP:  Quite interesting combination.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )