Author Topic: Inserting Favicons  (Read 7208 times)

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
Inserting Favicons
« on: December 13, 2007, 01:13:59 AM »
I've just created a "favicon" from a free site - for those who are interested it's at: www.html-kit.com/favicon

I downloaded & it's sitting in a folder now on my desktop - but I haven't a clue how to include it on the 120 pages of my site

I'm using CSB Version: 4.0.0.108

Can anyone please steer me in the right direction ???

Ray
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 01:29:40 AM by attitude »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Inserting Favicons
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 09:28:36 AM »
Ah....You posted at GlobalSCAPE forum too (as gg).  :yes: I gave a brief note there

This one is so easy because you do not have to put it into your 120 pages!
Simply upload the file (must be called favicon.ico) into your main directory of your website using FTP software or your file manager/upload ability provided by your host.  DO NOT USE CSB to upload the file to the website.

You can read a full discussion on the topic on this favicon thread, including code and things you should NOT do.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 07:18:53 PM »
Hi Sami...

Thanks for your very quick response...

Yep - I did post as well on the Globalscape forum - trying to "cover all bases"...   :o)

I've never tried using FTP before, but I'll give it a try...

regards

Ray

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 08:52:59 AM »
There are some really good FTP programs, many free. 
Take a look at this page.

COREFTP lite is a lovely free program that has some very nice options.  I would recommend you try that one first.
At this point a free ftp program would suffice for you.

It's very easy to do.  You will use the same settings as CSB, and once connected, you will actually have a split screen that shows you YOUR computer on one side, and your HOSTED WEBSITE on the other side.  You will be able to see all the files that CSB creates for you.  Kinda exposes the secret of the MAGIC that CSB does. 

WARNING: Do not delete files that look redundant, or old. You can break your site! Those pages may still be active pages on your website just haven't been updated in a while.  If you are curious about the file, post a question here, or visit the file in your web browser.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 06:16:39 PM »
Hi Sami...

I downloaded & installed Core FTP LE - looks like a great little program...

I then opened it, got the 2 windows OK - then dragged & dropped the favicon.ico into the other window, not into any particular directory...

I've opened my site in both Firefox & Internet Explorer - but ther'es no sign of my new favicon...

No sure what I've done wrong...    :'(

regards

Ray

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 07:23:58 PM »
Give us a link to your site and I will see if your favicon is working, if it is made right, and in the right place.

I sent you to this thread for a full discussion on the topic..  Did you look through it?  Fred also had difficulty and we resolved his situation.  The highlights of that thread are:

1) The file MUST be named favicon.ico  <<<Note that this one is all lowercase, no caps.

2) The file MUST be put into your main directory of your site. DO NOT USE CSB TO UPLOAD THE FILE.   Find your index.htm file that is your HOME PAGE (each subdirectory also has an index.htm file so you want to make sure you are in your main directory).  Take a look at your publishing settings in CSB. Publish, OPTIONS, MODIFY  Do you have to have something in your FTP DIRECTORY field (ex: web, www, public-html, etc)?  If YES, then that folder is your main website directory. Make sure your favicon.ico file is put into that folder.

3)  Some people ALSO place a piece of code at the top of the page in an insert HTML. Most modern browsers DO NOT NEED code and will automatically search for the favicon.ico file without extra instruction, but if you want it, here's the code. DO NOT CHANGE IT!  There are 3 versions of the code.  I recommend you put all three in since there is not a consensus for which is BEST for ALL browsers:

<link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
<link REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://yoursite.com/favicon.ico">

If using CSB 3 or 4 or 5, put CODE ONLY into one normal Insert HTML box at the top of the page. Only one is needed even if you decide to use all 3 snippets of code (which I have done several times).
If using CSB5 you could put the code into the HEAD of page in page properties instead.
I usually only place the code into the HOME PAGE.

4)  Favicons are FINICKY!   Sometimes you see them, sometimes you don't.
A. If you or your visitor has bookmarked BEFORE you made a favicon, then the link did not pull it in. Usually it is necessary to delete that bookmark close all browser windows, then come back in and re-bookmark.
B. Other folks might actually get the icon without doing anything.
c. And some people that get the bookmark & favicon working fine may LOSE the favicon when they clear temp internet files!
Favicons are stored in TEMPORARY INTERNET FOLDER for IE and will be lost when that folder is cleared. BUT the pesky little images are stored in a separate place for FireFox so folks using that browser will not "lose" your image!

5) Want to see the favicon after you put it in place?
  delete your bookmark/favorite entry for that site/webpage
  close internet explorer
  reopen
  bookmark/save to favorites again.
  close internet explorer
  reopen and look at your favorites.

If it does not appear now then you have not put the favicon.ico (must be named like that) in the right place on your site (must be in you main directory stored with your home page), or have not created it properly. You can create a lovely ico file using the free photo viewer IRFANVIEW, which I highly recommend.

I was trying not to duplicate threads but hey...that's fine.  Now this thread is more comprehensive than the older one!  Might make this one an FAQ!  :D  Let us know how it goes. 
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
Hi again Sami...

Wow - you are so quick off the mark...

Our website is: www.gorgeous-gear.com

In the meantime, I'll try to make sense of your last reply - sorry, but this FTP stuff is all a bit new to me...

Guess I've been spoilt over the last 8 years with Trellix/CSB...   :clapping:

regards

Ray

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 10:30:32 PM »
You are using Tripod with no direct domain name for your site. Your domain name is parked on a tripod members website. So when I ask for your domain name, I get h**p://members.tripod.com/mary.busuttil/ instead of gorgeous-gear.com in my address bar when I visit your site.

So.... that means that the browser  is having a difficult time locating the favicon without code to help it!
ex:  When you go to this address h**p://gorgeous-gear.com/favicon.ico you can not find a favicon - you get page not found instead.

But when I go to h**p://members.tripod.com/mary.busuttil/favicon.ico the favicon is there! 
Good News...you have put the favicon in the RIGHT PLACE. AND the favicon.ico is an acceptable file. 

EASY FIX.  As mentioned in #3 in my previous post, some people use code to help browsers find the favicon. In your case, you must do it to help resolve the difficulty of address! You will need to put the code into your web page to force the browser to find your favicon otherwise the browser will NOT find it. Since you are using CSB 4: Copy this code exactly into an insert HTML box in CSB at the top of your web page.  (If you were using CSB 5 I would have you put it into the page properties, HEAD of page)

Code: [Select]
<link rel="icon" href="h**p://members.tripod.com/mary.busuttil/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="h**p://members.tripod.com/mary.busuttil/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
<link REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="h**p://members.tripod.com/mary.busuttil/favicon.ico">

NOTE: Replace the ** with tt in the code (I use ** to keep from causing the address to be shown as a live link on the samisite forum (you want only the gorgeous-gear.com links live!).

FTP.... Don't be afraid of it. 
The web host server is just like your own computer, just a bunch of folders and files in the folders.
FTP allows you to see what CSB has been doing for you all these years and really is a GREAT tool.
Just think of it like this....
When you go to your MY DOCUMENTS folder on your own computer, you see the contents, including your My Pictures folder, lots of images, lots of other files. FTP does the same thing.  Allows you to go to your My Documents folder, or any other folder on your own computer, AND at the same time, go to the website folder too.  Convenient. Nothing special or scary about it.  Just like having 2 windows open side by side...one to YOUR PC...one to THIER PC.  Being able to access both at the same time allows you to transfer flash, music, images, all SORTS of stuff! 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 10:44:57 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 01:18:27 AM »
Thanks Sami...

It "worked a treat" in my Firefox, Netscape & Opera Browsers - but doesn't show at all in Internet Explorer...

Which strikes me as a little bit weird, because I have the very latest IE version...

I'm also guessing that I'll need to include the code on every page on my site if I want the favicon to show everywhere...

regards

Ray

ps:  Thanks for tip about Irfan - it's great...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 01:30:14 AM by attitude »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 07:28:48 AM »
CONGRATS!  I knew you could do it!  As I said...Favicons are FINICKY!  And they are worst in IE.  And your domain name only complicates a finicky issue.

Irfanview can do LOTS of things.  I have it set as my main viewer. But my favorite use that really saves time is renaming a batch of files. Ex: they come in from the camera as dsc0001.jpg or some such thing.  Later when the images are needed, the name does nothing to help locate or identify the images.  So I use Ifanview to take all the images in one folder, or only 3 of them, etc and put another name in front of the camera given name.  Some names would look like this: house2007_  or jewelry_ or vacation2007_ etc.  FAST EASY and helps to identify.  Part of the FILE menu. (you can overwrite the name or make copies of the images with the new name), and even resize them at the same time if you want.  All for free, with no spyware or adware!  :clapping:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 05:44:41 PM »
Hi Sami...

Yes, I did it - but it wouldn't have happened without your FABULOUS help...

Thanks once again...     :boogie:

regards

Ray

ps:  I've included a pikkie so you can see what this guy from "down under" looks like...

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 12:39:34 PM »
Great avatar!  Made me want to post a photo avatar but don't have one.  But a while back I made a cartoon avatar online somewhere.  They didn't get my hair color just right so I adjusted the image to properly show my salt and pepper and skunk patch! :D
-Samantha