General Category > Critter Central

Tara and I need some prayers

(1/4) > >>

SafariWoman:
 I was up all night with her either holding her or cleaning up after her. I couldn't put her down or she would make a mess.. to say it nicely.. but this morning at around seven she drank a lot of water and ate a couple of bites of food although she was still making messes about every fifteen minutes.

We had the carpets cleaned some months ago and she got super sick the next day too. So we bought a carpet cleanr and vowed if we ever got whole house cleaning again she would go to my daughters house. Apparrently there was something in those chemicals. She is allergic to other cleaning things too. Thursday we spotcleaned three rooms - the ones she is in the most - and I came home to a hellish scene yesterday. She hasn't reacted to spot cleaning before but it was more this time in her sleeping spots. I know it might just be a coincidence. She was also vibrating in waves like when she has a seizure.

I am waiting for her to wake up to see how she is doing. She finally fell asleep at around 9 am as did I pass right out. If she is still as sick it looks like an emergency room vet trip. And I just pray to God that won't be the last things she sees!!!!!! That would be terrible for her!!!!! and me :-( especially because I feel so guilty for not thinking about the carpet cleaning chemicals.

So thanks so much for the prayers. We both need them. I was at my wits end this am and fell asleep one time standing up in the kitchen with her. I know she is old but she deserves to go peacefully not in a horrible mess.

Samrc:
Oh My!  Wanda, How horrible!
I will have you and your dear doggie in my prayers.

Your pooch may have built up an intolerance for certain chemicals over the years. Normally benign ingredients can sometimes get to people/pets if we are exposed to them too much, too often or in the "right" combination. Cleaning carpets may have been coincidental to her problems. She has had medical issues before and she has just gotten older. Her body is older, more tired and has less tolerance to anything/everything. Even flea medications (topical sprays/wipes or drops) can cause seizures in some animals as they age. The cleaning chemicals may have been the last ingredient in a chain of other ingredients that broke down her system.  Or they may be unrelated. When I lost my bunny, I thought it was caused by a change of food, the vet told me her seizures were caused by an infection that caused pressure on the brain.

As we age, our tolerances change. And some just sneak up on you!  I used to use plain bleach for many cleaning projects. It is caustic but I used it a LOT with NO adverse effects. But those days are long gone.  The stuff now causes asthma attacks.  Go into a store that has just cleaned an area with bleach and suddenly I can not breath.....really can not breath....lungs clamp down.  My lungs react faster than my nose!

--- Quote ---If she is still as sick it looks like an emergency room vet trip. And I just pray to God that won't be the last things she sees!!!!!!
--- End quote ---

Ya...I know what you mean.  I had Spaz put down at home by a vet that makes house calls.  I did not want added stress for either of us.

Most importantly, you have been a good guardian for her, she knows you are loyal and you care for her!  A pet could not ask for more.
 :schip:

SafariWoman:
I am so happy to come tell you that Tara is OK!!! It almost seems like a miracle because she was so sick I honestly thought it was the end for her. Today she seems to be herself eating, drinking, walking around but just a little tired. Thank you so much for the well wishes and prayers. I just know they helped! Obviously she still has some more loving to get and give here.

I really think it was the carpet chemicals. She has always been sort of allergic and you are right now that she is older she just can't tolerate it. Well when I think about it how she walks and lays on the carpet all the time it makes sense. I just wish I had realized. I will never ever let her get on wet carpets again.

I am sorry to hear that about the bleach Sam! I use it all the time too but always with ventilation. I can't imagine something causing me not to be able to breathe. That must be scary. Yep - it seems like these things can just pop up one day out of no where and it is odd.

Thanks again so much! I am so glad to have happy news!!!!  :hearts: :yes:  :schip:

A side note about TAra - she has finally reached the totally blind state now and she can't hear or barely smell. I sometimes have to put her over her food bowl. It is so incredibly sad to watch her stumble about knowing how frustrated she must be. I just feel so much for her. She is in good health otherwise according to her check up about three months ago. I ask myself if she would be better off sometimes .. but.. then I see how much she lives for her next treat and to be held and petted. I prayed for God to be merciful to her when she was sick. Now that she made it through I can't think about if she would be better off now because I feel like she must still have a purpose because that illness was horrible and I still can hardly believe she made it through.

Samrc:
 :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:
:kickdancing: :kickdancing: :kickdancing: :kickdancing: :kickdancing:HAPPY DANCE!
So happy for you and your beloved Tara.

I have an aging cat that is part siamese and is losing hearing and sight, but can't be petted enough, and is generally a sweet-natured little animal.  She was a stray that adopted me and I am thankful for her. Unfortunately she is getting louder and louder with her yowls. Even wakes me up at night, getting next to my ear and yowling at top of lungs to see if I am awake. :ss-shocked:  At this point, I would not consider putting her down for that.  She enjoys life, loves the screen room porch: the warmth of the sun, security that keeps dogs and other critters out, likes when I have a visitor over that can give her even more attention. 

I believe that animals try to tell us when it is time.  Spaz looked so tired, so miserable.  She still wanted to cuddle in my arms if I laid on the floor, but really was not enjoying anything about life anymore....no interest in her world and even food/water (her favorite joy) was not enticing.

Sounds to me like Tara is still up, not ready to go. That's wonderful.  Enjoy her while you can!

SafariWoman:
AW my mom's cat used to yowl like that and she had to start shutting him in a room at night because she otherwise wasn't getting much sleep. She obviously picked a very sweet mommy! :) You are right Sam, as long as there is something joyful in their life and spirit I don't think they should be put to sleep. Tara is such a strong little dog in personality, character and physically - that I just wish I could make things better for her and keep praying for a miracle that she could see just a little bit again at least. She is teaching me the value of life. If she can cling to it so enthusiastically with all of her problems it reminds me constantly how precious it is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version