Author Topic: Resurrection of Trellix on Web.com ??  (Read 5415 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
    • www.ResolveChurchConflict.com
Resurrection of Trellix on Web.com ??
« on: March 28, 2008, 10:18:42 PM »
Where did Cute Site Builder go?

It looks like Web.com has taken over the license.  Check out this website and the 2007 copyright date.

www.Trellix.com
Also, http://www.web.com/Websites/Trellix.aspx

It looks like Web.com has taken over the license.

Is this the place to go to continue with Cute Site Builder / Trellix?

What do you think?

Ken

Is this the place to go to continue with Cute Site Builder / Trellix?

What do you think?

Ken
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 10:26:10 PM by Newberger »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Resurrection of Trellix on Web.com ??
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 11:18:48 PM »
NO....CSB is dead.  And what they offer is DIFFERENT.

They are very selective with the history of Trellix!
They are leaving out our side of the family tree.

Trellix, the web-based site builder software used by Web.comĀ®, was created in 1997 by Dan Bricklin of Trellix Corporation.....

In 2001, Trellix developed Trellix Web Express, an online-based version of the software that included the same ease of use and first-rate editing features but required no download. InterlandĀ®, which would later become Web.com, bought the rights to Trellix Web in 2003 and began further development

Dan Bricklin created Trellix. It was available in a PC installed program called TRELLIX WEB. That version of the program is not mentioned on the WEB.com website because that version was licensed to GlobalSCAPE.  GlobalSCAPE continued to develop the program and branded it CuteSITE Builder (CSB).   Interland continued to develop the ONLINE site builder program and GlobalSCAPE developed CSB.  Trellix eventually closed its doors and its programs were absorbed by Interland that later became Web.com. 

GlobalSCAPE maintained the license rights to CSB, the PC installed software that allowed users to publish to ANY HOST of their choice.  They released CSB 5. And six months later, Web.com refused to renew the license for the software.  GlobalSCAPE spent a ton of time and money to develop the last version of the PC software and now they could not sell it!  It was dead.  Web.com refused to continue the license agreement so development and support stopped for the PC installed product.

Today, Trellix Web Express is called Trellix Site Builder. This online tool allows Web.com customers to choose from a great variety of website templates, all of which are fully customizable.

The online Trellix program is called TRELLIX SITE BUILDER.  It is NOT THE SAME as pc installed software.  If you use the ONLINE software you get stuck with that host and can not move. YOU have no editing software.  I made a comparison a long time ago about the differences between programs. 

For a year or so before the termination of the license, there was confusion on the GlobalSCAPE forum because online Trellix users were being sent to GlobalSCAPE for assistance.  You can read the main post about that here.

SO...Do I think that web.com will release a new version of Trellix/CSB?  NO
Why?  They do NOT want to develop a standalone piece of software like CSB.  The online builder version is more lucrative for them.  And the confusion regarding the online and pc software became a real sore point.  Kill of the pc software and the Trellix online thrives.  They trimmed the family tree and our limb was chopped off.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
    • www.ResolveChurchConflict.com
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 08:13:48 AM »
Samantha,

You are the still the best!  Thanks for the insight and links.  That closes the door to Web.com Trellix for me.  Though I still constantly use CSB, which new contenders (web programs to replace CSB) are you most comfortable in recommending for the future?  Any verdict in that dept. yet?

Ken

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 08:55:30 AM »
I have tested and actually bought some software.  I am not proficient in any yet.  So far, NONE of them has that WOW factor that Trellix/CSB had when I started with it.  Each has very good points but each has things that make me not like it.  So far, I am not recommending any as THE replacement for CSB but several have potential for working out for SOME people. 
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )