Author Topic: Moving Cutesite from one computer to another  (Read 6562 times)

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
Moving Cutesite from one computer to another
« on: March 19, 2009, 10:26:29 AM »
Hi - We love our Cutesite 4 and thank you for any help you may give us on this question.

Basically: We bought a new HP Vista computer and need to move our Cutesite from our old Millennium Edition ME computer to the new computer.

We think we may know how to do it, but we just wanted to get some expert advise so we don't mess anything up. We just downloaded the Cutesite 4 from Globalscape and registered the serial number on our Vista and it seems to be working there fine. So I think we need to use a method, note the CD rom player doesn't work on the ME, but I believe we know how to get around that - I forget what it is called, I'll call it the "transfer device" which we'll use to move the Cutesite, and here's where it might get complicated, we're not sure.....

.....We have two different company websites that we have on the ME that we have designed and uploaded to our server using the Cutesite - We have two separate Cutesite program ikons that we clickon to open the specific Cutesite program to do our design work. I guess we should download one Cutesite ikon thing at a time from the ME and then upload it to the Vista...I think the Cutesite on the Vista will likely recognize the first Cutesite and upload it correctly, we hope...but then when we upload the second Cutesite, will Cutesite automatically recognize it and automatically begin a second Cutesite program for this different website, or do we need to first somehow breakoff and rename two different Cutesite name ikons on the Vista. Or maybe we should download another Cutesite 4 from Globalscape and have two of them on there for the two separate uploads?

I guess I could continue with some questions, but maybe it's better to stop here, and perhaps there is a simple way of doing this without further guessing on my part.

I look forward to any help and replies.  :)

Thank you very much!  :)

Pam

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Moving Cutesite from one computer to another
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 02:15:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on the upgrade from ME!  What a drastic change from ME directly to Viata without the XP in between! 
CSB 4 and CSB 5 will run on Vista. 

Please read through THIS THREAD for specific instructions for Vista moves.

We just downloaded the Cutesite 4 from Globalscape and registered the serial number on our Vista and it seems to be working there fine.
Good.

TRANSFER.
So I think we need to use a method, note the CD rom player doesn't work on the ME, but I believe we know how to get around that - I forget what it is called, I'll call it the "transfer device" which we'll use to move the Cutesite, and here's where it might get complicated, we're not sure.....
Search your old computer for the .tlx design files.  These are your website files.
- Easiest way to transfer your tlx design files to your new computer:  Use a USB stick!  (thumbdrive, usb storage)  Cheap, easy and fast if your computer will allow a USB storage device. Some versions of ME had USB 1.1, others had USB 2.0 so you may or may not be able to use this option.
- Or if you have space on your web host, you could send your tlx design file to your host and pull it into your new machine! Using the built-in backup option, CSB 4 or CSB 5 can send the main file you need to the server for you.  If you can still connect from your old machine to your existing host, you can BACKUP the design file to the server, then from your new machine, you would connect to your host and download the file to the new machine.  Read more here.  In your case, this may be your best option. 
- Or if you have space on your web host, you can use an FTP software to connect, upload from one computer, and connect and download to the other computer.  Read about these programs here (can use a free one for this function)   Filezilla, CoreFTP (screen shots shown of this program)

If you don't have space enough to do the backup or file transfer, and can not use USB or CD, you will need to transfer your files in some other way.... Let us know.   There IS a way to transfer files for you without having great technical issues.  (Some times wacky works too! I have even used my storage card in a CAMERA to transfer files between computers if that was all that would work!)

AT MINIMUM, You will need to move over all your tlx design files.
At BEST, you should also have original copies of images, sounds, downloadable files etc you use on your website.

Do NOT try to move over PROGRAMS from one computer to the other, only DATA files.  Transferring programs is risky at best and usually does not work anyway.

HOSTS.
If you still have access to your old computer, open CSB, take screen prints of the HOST information for each website. You will have to manually put this into VISTA again.  The screen shot will not have your password showing so be sure you write that down too.
Then when you DOUBLE CLICK one of the tlx design files (which you will store somewhere in the Documents folder of Vista) it will open in CSB.  FILE SAVE AS and give it a NEW NAME.  Fresh for this machine.  (Keeps the old file intact as a backup and compacts the file to run as smoothly as possible).  Go into the FILE PUBLISH and set up a new HOST using your screen prints.  You will repeat this for the second website that you build, putting in the second host with THAT tlx design file.

or do we need to first somehow breakoff and rename two different Cutesite name ikons on the Vista. Or maybe we should download another Cutesite 4 from Globalscape and have two of them on there for the two separate uploads
DO NOT try to install CSB again on the same machine.
You have only ONE installation on your old machine and need only one on the VISTA.
CSB is the PROGRAM.
Your tlx design file contains everything for the website. 
You may have 100 different tlx files, or only one.  You can publish all your tlx files to the same website or to 100 different websites.  Does not matter to CSB.  Very versatile!

In your case, it sounds like you have 2 tlx design files.  name1.tlx and name2.tlx   (whatever you named the files).
Each of those files is probably stored in your My Documents folder somewhere on the ME machine.
As mentioned before, you need to bring those files over to your new machine. 
Then put them in a folder inside Vista's Documents folder  (You might want to put them in a WEBSITE folder, etc... your choice).
Once those files are on the VISTA machine, you will open them, FILE SAVE AS to compact and give a new name to each.  Then for each of the NEW files, simply RIGHT CLICK on the file, make a SHORTCUT and drag the SHORTCUT onto your desktop.  From that point on, you will have one icon for each of the two design files.  Make sure you put the SHORTCUT on the desktop NOT the real file! 
(Do NOT make a shortcut from a .cab file if you use that to transfer your design file.)

Let us know how it goes.....
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 09:10:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on the upgrade from ME!  What a drastic change from ME directly to Viata without the XP in between! 
CSB 4 and CSB 5 will run on Vista. 

Please read through THIS THREAD for specific instructions for Vista moves.

We just downloaded the Cutesite 4 from Globalscape and registered the serial number on our Vista and it seems to be working there fine.
Good.

TRANSFER.
So I think we need to use a method, note the CD rom player doesn't work on the ME, but I believe we know how to get around that - I forget what it is called, I'll call it the "transfer device" which we'll use to move the Cutesite, and here's where it might get complicated, we're not sure.....
Search your old computer for the .tlx design files.  These are your website files.
- Easiest way to transfer your tlx design files to your new computer:  Use a USB stick!  (thumbdrive, usb storage)  Cheap, easy and fast if your computer will allow a USB storage device. Some versions of ME had USB 1.1, others had USB 2.0 so you may or may not be able to use this option.
- Or if you have space on your web host, you could send your tlx design file to your host and pull it into your new machine! Using the built-in backup option, CSB 4 or CSB 5 can send the main file you need to the server for you.  If you can still connect from your old machine to your existing host, you can BACKUP the design file to the server, then from your new machine, you would connect to your host and download the file to the new machine.  Read more here.  In your case, this may be your best option. 
- Or if you have space on your web host, you can use an FTP software to connect, upload from one computer, and connect and download to the other computer.  Read about these programs here (can use a free one for this function)   Filezilla, CoreFTP (screen shots shown of this program)

If you don't have space enough to do the backup or file transfer, and can not use USB or CD, you will need to transfer your files in some other way.... Let us know.   There IS a way to transfer files for you without having great technical issues.  (Some times wacky works too! I have even used my storage card in a CAMERA to transfer files between computers if that was all that would work!)

AT MINIMUM, You will need to move over all your tlx design files.
At BEST, you should also have original copies of images, sounds, downloadable files etc you use on your website.

Do NOT try to move over PROGRAMS from one computer to the other, only DATA files.  Transferring programs is risky at best and usually does not work anyway.

HOSTS.
If you still have access to your old computer, open CSB, take screen prints of the HOST information for each website. You will have to manually put this into VISTA again.  The screen shot will not have your password showing so be sure you write that down too.
Then when you DOUBLE CLICK one of the tlx design files (which you will store somewhere in the Documents folder of Vista) it will open in CSB.  FILE SAVE AS and give it a NEW NAME.  Fresh for this machine.  (Keeps the old file intact as a backup and compacts the file to run as smoothly as possible).  Go into the FILE PUBLISH and set up a new HOST using your screen prints.  You will repeat this for the second website that you build, putting in the second host with THAT tlx design file.

or do we need to first somehow breakoff and rename two different Cutesite name ikons on the Vista. Or maybe we should download another Cutesite 4 from Globalscape and have two of them on there for the two separate uploads
DO NOT try to install CSB again on the same machine.
You have only ONE installation on your old machine and need only one on the VISTA.
CSB is the PROGRAM.
Your tlx design file contains everything for the website. 
You may have 100 different tlx files, or only one.  You can publish all your tlx files to the same website or to 100 different websites.  Does not matter to CSB.  Very versatile!

In your case, it sounds like you have 2 tlx design files.  name1.tlx and name2.tlx   (whatever you named the files).
Each of those files is probably stored in your My Documents folder somewhere on the ME machine.
As mentioned before, you need to bring those files over to your new machine. 
Then put them in a folder inside Vista's Documents folder  (You might want to put them in a WEBSITE folder, etc... your choice).
Once those files are on the VISTA machine, you will open them, FILE SAVE AS to compact and give a new name to each.  Then for each of the NEW files, simply RIGHT CLICK on the file, make a SHORTCUT and drag the SHORTCUT onto your desktop.  From that point on, you will have one icon for each of the two design files.  Make sure you put the SHORTCUT on the desktop NOT the real file! 
(Do NOT make a shortcut from a .cab file if you use that to transfer your design file.)

Let us know how it goes.....

Hi Samantha - Thank you so very much!

Yes, I will report back and let you know how it goes.  :yes:

Thanks again!  :)

Pam

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »
<<< Congrats on the upgrade from ME!  What a drastic change from ME directly to Vista without the XP in between! >>>

Yes, we went right from the "stone age" to the modern age.  LOL

Thanks again Samantha!

Pam

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 10:01:28 PM »
I couldn't wait to dump ME.   :yuck:    The copy I had was very buggy.

Have you transfered your files to the new machine yet?  If so, how did you do it?
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 03:06:54 PM »
Hi Samantha and everyone....well, we finally got around to doing it and wound up using a USB Store n Go stick and it tranferred perfectly...so it seems or perhaps really it didn't.

We had downloaded the Cutesite before off the web, typed in the serial number and it works fine if we need to just redo the site, but we'd like to avoid doing all that work again if possible.

We uploaded our separate GSI icon, but it seems like the FTP transfer information did not transfer to the icon, although all the website info seems to have transfered fine. When we go to the section "FTP Site Option" the "modify" button appears but it cannot be clicked on, so the FTP info cannot be placed in there so I doubt if the info will upload to the server.

We could "experiment" with it, but we are fearful of deleting our website info accidentally off the server, and even though we badly need to make some changes on it, deleting it would be very bad, much, much worse so we don't want to chance that. Plus the server changed their FTP info around 9 months ago, so we need to update that info anyway on the Cutesite "Enter FTP Site Information" page because the old FTP info wouldn't work now anyway.

Any ideas, suggestions, or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Maybe it's something easy to solve? Hopefully? 

I hope I explained this right.

Thanks again everyone, as always! :)

Pam

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 11:05:31 PM »
Glad the program is installed and unlocked.

CSB was a very smartly designed program... Could be as small or as large as YOU need it to be.
For the casual user, it would make the perfect home/family site, all in one file, published to one website.
For the business user, it would make a simple business site, compact and complete.
For the experienced user, it would allow MANY directories, MANY sites, MANY hosts.

You can have one or more tlx design files to create a single website. 
- Use ONE tlx design file, and the whole website is stored in one single folder on your website space.
- Use more than one tlx design file to build that site, and you use subdirectories:  mysite.com/photos  mysite.com/tests   mysite.com/videos  etc. 

You can build more than one website and CSB will support and remember all your destinations, your hosts.
On the old machine, you did not have to tell the program where to send the file each time you said publish. It remembered.

Let me explain how HOST information works. 
The FTP information is input by you ONCE for each website. 
When you move the tlx files from computer to computer, the HOST information (name of site, location, user name, password, etc) is NOT moved with the tlx files. The information is not stored in the tlx files. And is not in the program itself.
That FTP information is stored in the REGISTRY of your OLD computer.

You have two choices how to get that information into your NEW computer.  Do whichever is more comfortable to you.
1) You can COPY the information from your OLD computer and add it to the information on the new computer by doing REGISTRY export on the OLD machine and moving that reg file to the new file, then double clicking to add it to the registry on the new machine.  (DO REGISTRY ADJUSTMENTS AT YOUR OWN RISK... I did this last week to move my CSB HOSTS from the old machine to the new machine at work.  Fast and easy.

The steps that Turtle outlined originally are exactly correct. 
To make it clearer for some folks, the instruction has been expanded and adjusted for your new machine instead of upgrade model:
- First you go into your WINDOWS REGISTRY FILES go to start > run > regedit
- Turtle recommends a full export of everything to export all to a folder as a backup. (this file can ONLY BE USED on the OLD machine and will NOT BE TRANSFERED to the new machine!!!)
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GlobalSCAPE\CuteSITE Builder 3.0\WPProviders\OtherHost
- Now export only the folder that has your host information in it: "right click OtherHost and select EXPORT to your desktop using a file name like "csb other hosts". This saves only the one folder not the whole registry.  (this file will be TRANSFERED to the new machine)
You can close the registry editor.
- Install the new version of CSB on your new computer.
- Transfer the registry export file of the "csb other hosts" to the new machine.
- On the new machine, go into the WINDOWS REGISTRY (go to start > run > regedit).
I like to do another full registry backup at this point for the NEW MACHINE.  Export ALL to a folder as a backup exactly the way it is NOW before you make any changes, just in case something goes wrong you can come back to the way it is.
- Now you can put the host information into the registry using file import. When you ask to file import, it will ask you to find the file to import so browse to and select the registry file you transfered from the other machine
- When you are done, the WINDOWS REGISTRY will recognize the new CSB program AND your old hosts!
Two minutes vs potential of tedious time with input, after input, after input, after input, after input....

2) MANUALLY input your host info for EACH HOST into the new CSB.  Under FILE menu, you can choose CONFIGURE WEBSITE and input all your host info again.  Input one host.  Then come back to the same FILE, CONFIGURE to add another host or go into PUBLISH, OPTIONS, HOST SETUP, ADD A SITE to add a host definition. Add as many as you need. (I would have to add way to many manually so I like the registry transfer method). 

Once your hosts have been put into your new computer (either through registry transfer, or manual input) you can click that MODIFY button to adjust those hosts in any way you need to.  Right now that option is not available because you have no HOST information to modify!

Putting in the hosts into CSB does NOT cause publishing. Does not change anything about the site.
That is done separately.

Once you have the HOST information in CSB you can begin editing your site again.
But before you do, please consider this warning: 
It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you make a backup of your website as it is if you can.
Some hosts offer a backup option that makes a compressed copy of all the files, or you can just spend some time and download a full copy of all files/folders to your own computer (using FTP program). This means that your own pc would contain an EXACT copy of all html files, images, folders, etc. This is different than having a copy of your tlx design files.  The files on the host are the actual final website files.  You need them on YOUR PC "just in case".  This step is optional but VERY recommended.  If you delete something you didn't mean to, you will have a way to put it back later without worry or fear that you have damaged your site forever.

Once you have a copy of everything that is on the website on your own computer, you can choose to publish your website files again without fear.  When you move to a new machine, it will not have "memory" of the file being published.  The first time you try to publish, it MAY try to publish ALL PAGES inside the tlx design file.  Thats normal and should be allowed.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 12:26:56 PM »
Hi Samantha - You are the greatest.  :)

We'll try that and see how it works out.

Thank you so very much!  :yes:

Pam

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 08:52:17 AM »
We are back up and running fine.  :kickdancing:

Thank you so much!

Just a quick note...we had downloaded one of the trial versions of one of the other design programs mentioned on this forum. Perhaps we didn't give it enough of a chance but right off the bat, we noticed that "I think" there was only one font available for the program...that you had to purchase a separate font program to get more than just an Arial font...again maybe we weren't using it correctly but I mean having to purchase an additional program to get more than one font? Are they kidding?...Selling a design program with only one font? And we don't have the time to try to figure out how to merge the two programs, even though it may have been easy.

That I think soured us right away, figuring what else is next with this thing as far as costs and time, plus it seemed much more cumbersome to learn and use than Cutesite. I guess there's something good about it because they claim to sell a lot of them, but we'll take Cutesite, and it works great on Vista.

Thanks again - We can't thank you all enough!  :clapping:

Pam

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 08:42:57 PM »
CONGRATS for being back up and running.

Which program were you talking about?
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 11:50:31 PM »
CONGRATS for being back up and running.

Which program were you talking about?

CoffeeCup Visual Site Designer

Again though in all fairness...we didn't give it much of a chance...perhaps we are just so used to our wonderful Cutesite.  :)

I think we may have found our first glitch in Vista with Cutesite - We clicked Cutesite "help" and got an error message that the "help" wasn't supported in Vista...but we just came on here, checked out search, and found the answer in seconds.

Thanks again Samantha!  :D

Pam
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 11:57:16 PM by pam »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 08:50:51 AM »
Not really a glitch with that help file.  Microsoft purposely dropped support for the old HELP file system in Vista and all future operating systems. They intentionally broke every program built with that help system (10's of thousands of programs were snapped) to stop developers from using it.  The developers new that was coming years ago, but were not changing to the new help system. After much public outcry (afterall, MS was hurting the USERS not the developers) MS finally broke down and gave the users a way to "patch" the problem.  Glad you found the answer on the forum.

CSB5 has a simple button-builder.  I think I remember someone saying they do not work in Vista, but I have not tried it myself.

I have not personally tried the CoffeeCup software.  Others have.  I understand why you came back to CSB.  I have MANY pieces of software for website building and so far CSB is still my favorite.  Speed and simplicity. Love it.

-Samantha