Author Topic: Easy Complex Tables Using Word and CSB  (Read 6041 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
Easy Complex Tables Using Word and CSB
« on: February 19, 2010, 08:39:23 AM »
I think everyone would agree that the table at http://www.amr1.org/commercial.htm is pretty good-looking and pretty complex. It's got varied cell borders, headings highlighted in color, plain text that links to URLs and email addresses, a variety of fonts, sorting on two keys, etc. Also it's got over a hundred entries, some of which frequently change.

After looking for a LONG time for a way to put such a thing on my web site, I found an easy way to do it: I create the table in Word (which has a LOT of features for making cool tables), use Word to save it as HTML, use Word's built-in Script Editor to view the HTML, then paste it into CSB using Insert > Advanced HTML > HTML code.... The result is a good-looking table that is extremely easy to modify and update.

This particular table also involves Excel — the underlying data is in an Excel worksheet and is converted to Word via the Mail Merge process.

I've posted this here so people can see what's possible. The steps to making the table, while very simple once you've figured them out, involve some not-so-obvious procedures. If anyone is interested, I can post a step-by-step guide for others to use in making tables like this.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Easy Complex Tables Using Word and CSB
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 06:43:08 PM »
Lovely!  

Word, publisher, Excel can create html that is messy and can slow down websites so are not recommended for general or full website building. But putting pieces of those html generations into CSB is a great way to go to supplement website abilities.

I use a product that converts interactive excel sheets into really nice html.
And often just copy/paste tables from Excel into CSB. Then format once in CSB.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 11:07:14 PM »
Two things...

1) There are three "flavors" of saving the Word table as HTML. I use "Web Page, Filtered." Apparently it gives the cleanest HTML.

2) What do you mean by "interactive  Excel sheets?" Sheets with macros?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 01:59:33 PM »
Some Excel tables are just data.  I tend to just copy/paste a table from Excel into CSB in whole.

Interactive meaning you put in values and calculate.  Formulas are converted fully to javascript.  The forms are fully functional for people WITHOUT any office products that open excel (like MS Office, WordPerfect, Open Office).

You can see one we actively use here:  h**p://www.lambertusa.com/resource/id172.htm  
Designed for contractors that know the "mix information" for use color in concrete, try to match to a color chip on a chart and not sure how to get to it.
Standard settings for this form:  
1: 5   # color (deepest/darkest)
2: 6   sack mix
3: 10  yards = a full truck load
Then below if you say you have a standard truck (10 yards per truck) it will offer further advice when you recalculate.

Another is here:  h**p://www.samisite.com/test-csb2nf/id99.htm
The dealer I made it for is gone now but he really liked it.....

ANY MS HTML is overloaded with crud.  Just the MS way!   :yes:  Especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint!
[Having said that, I did upgrade my MS Expression Web because I DID like the basic program once you got past the publishing headaches. Version 3 is supposed to have that resolved.  Won't install properly on my current machine, but as soon as I replace later this year, will load it and give it a try!]
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 12:31:26 AM »
What is the program you use to put interactive Excel worksheets onto web sites? I might need it.

Lou Sander

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 07:10:22 AM »
Spreadsheet Converter

Several versions.  I use "SpreadsheetConverter To HTML"
Used to be called ExcelEverywhere.  Simple add-on to Excel. Latest version does work with Office 2010!
-Samantha