Author Topic: Xara Web Designer on sale  (Read 8901 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Xara Web Designer on sale
« on: December 11, 2009, 09:49:10 AM »
Got a notice I thought I would post just in case anyone is interested.....

40% Off Xara Web Designer For Webstyle 4 Owners, One Week Only 
If you missed the launch offer on Web Designer then you have another chance to upgrade from Webstyle to Web Designer. But don't hesitate, this offer ends Thursday 17th December 09!

Xara Web Designer is a replacement for Webstyle 4. It retains all the benefits of Webstyle

--------
Personal grump: 
WELL... I have both XWD and Webstyle 4 and have a definite issue with that last statement!!!
I use Webstyle 4 to make menus for several sites. Unfortunately NONE of the menu building functions were moved over to XWD! I don't know how they make the claim that "it retains ALL the benefits of Webstyle!"
May have to send them a letter!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
Re: Xara Web Designer on sale
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 03:04:31 PM »
That is exactly what I thought when I read that statement!

To get the same features, you need to buy Xara Menu Maker as well as XWD. I have Webstyle, not Menu Maker, so don't know if Menu Maker also has all the buttons and other graphics which Webstyle has.

Anyway, I will continue to use XWD and XWS together, which makes a good solution. Exception is the publishing "blunder"!
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 07:02:28 PM »
Glad to hear that someone else felt the same way. I did send an email to the marketing dept of Xara about it. Waiting on response.

I have XXP5, XWD, XWS4, W3D6.  Like them all.
Will continue to use XWS4 for menus (like you I do not have menu maker) and XXP5 which now contains all XWD features.  I expect that the FTP issue will be resolved with the next upgrade version, not in patch between.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Big Cat Lover
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 12:19:07 AM »
I did send an email to the marketing dept of Xara about it. Waiting on response.

I'm amazed you found an email address for Xara. I receive their Xara email newsletter and attempted twice to "Contact Them" via their link, and there's NO SUBMIT BUTTON!!!!!  :oops:  So much for good web design, eh?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 10:55:52 PM »
Xara is quite easy to contact. They have a full support site that is very responsive ticket system.  I have had nothing but good experiences with them over the years.  Licenses for office and home got tangled, they quickly reset and got them fixed, among other issues.  I have been impressed with the quality of service from this company so far.   I sent comments to the marketing department about the language and they thanked me for my input and will consider the language again.

Maybe whoever made the newsletter is like me...intending to send an attachment and forgets to add it to the email!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:57:52 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 03:14:25 AM »
Xara Web Designer (download version) + MAGIX Video Easy (download version)

» Download now and save 33%!
» Offer ends 21st December 2009

For just $59 (instead of $88.99 when purchased separately).

Note: On any orders delivered to countries in the European Union (EU), Value Added Tax (VAT) will be added at 15% of the price of the product

Received by email yesterday 16th.
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 10:56:49 AM »
I don't have any of the video materials from Magix (the german parent company).  Only have the british Xara programs so far...
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 08:46:56 PM »
If you want to read about making the web pages in XWD, go to this page:
http://books.google.com/books?id=C84RbtHQcXcC&pg=PP1&dq=xara+xtreme+pro+5&cd=1#
(Google books has scanned in the pages, you can see the XWD info in the web page section p 239).
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 11:13:01 AM »
All the xara products are on sale til Jan 3rd:  h**p://www.xara.com/us/
New copies of download-only products.  I may pick up menu maker so I will have something to upgrade going forward...
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 03:37:51 PM »
That may be a good idea Sami, as Webstyle 4 will no longer be upgraded. I will also consider buying Menu Maker.

Too bad they don't facilitate it being integrated with XWD, such as right-click on a placeholder and select > insert menumaker object

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 12:06:30 AM »
Maybe with next version it will be available that way for both XXP5 and XWD... :luck:

I LIKE the webstyle 4 program. I have used it for some good menus and matching buttons.  Will miss that ability!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 05:22:02 AM »
Yes, agree. I think I will continue to use Webstyle 4 until XWD has that kind of functionality, if ever.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 07:38:58 AM »
 :agree:   :TUP:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Big Cat Lover
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 06:41:54 PM »
Xara is quite easy to contact.

Sami ~

Here is the Xara Outsider newsletter "contact us" page. There is no visible submit or send button when viewed with 1600x1200 monitor res.  ===> h**p://www.xara.com/us/contact/

Quite by accident just now, I tried scrolling to the bottom of the page with my middle mouse scroll button, and lo and behold, the "input text" area [only] scrolls and there, hidden below is a send button.  Now, as a user - who would think to do that?  I call that poor design.  Oh well. now I know.

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 07:37:42 PM »
I can see the Send button quite normally just below the text input box, where you would normally expect to find it. I am using 1024x768, but that should not make a significant difference, since the Send button is right in the middle of the page.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 11:01:55 PM »
I agree with Rick. Beside menu options across the top of the page for SUPPORT and COMMUNITY, in the text on the page I can see a link to the support area AND the send button quite normally.  Screen shot below.
I stand by my statement that it is easy to contact Xara.

It's a shame you have difficulty seeing that.  You might want to mention it to them.  They DO listen to customer input! 
We welcome feedback and suggestions on our monthly newseletter The Outsider, please just select The Outsider option under Send To

As we have mentioned many times on both this and the GSF forum, designing for EVERY monitor size, resolution setting, and variation is not easy for ANY software!  What looks good at 1024x768 may not look perfect at 1600x1200.  Gracious, who knows what MY web pages look like at that setting!  Probably pretty scary. I could not even begin to test web pages at that resolution no matter what software I am using.  None of my monitors (on home desktop, laptop or work desktop) can handle a resolution that high.
-Samantha