Author Topic: Mcafee antivirus software  (Read 3356 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Mcafee antivirus software
« on: August 25, 2012, 11:46:58 PM »
I have spent so many hours trying to resolve problems caused by mcafee this weekend.

Mcafee sent out an update that broke connections to the web.
Thousands of customers could not get online because the software broke the connections.  I contacted ISP after checking all normal channels.
mcafee warning
Mcafee posted the issue online but since the computer could not reach the web, I could not get to the notice or to the fix! 

After using my phone to connect, get info, fix and get 2 machines up and running, I found yet another problem with mcafee.  My program was not displaying text properly.
blank program screens
I was blamed by mcafee support for running a standard user account on my win 7 machine instead of admin.   How rediculous!  Then was told my profile was corrupted.  Wrong again.  Then told i had to create a new profile.  Nope.  Still wrong.  New profile could not show text either.  Several hours later, a higher level tech tells me that mcafee KNOWS that if you have the font HELVETICA installed on your machine, you can not see the text in their program.  So he deleted it from my system.  Offered me the choice of dropping back to IE 8 so mcafee will work better or staying on IE 9 and not seeing the text.

How do you trust a "protection program" that
1. Breaks your connection to the web.  If I didn't have my phone, I would have had to pay someone to fix the problem for me.
2. Knowingly has program errors for many months and does not repair it in an update.
3. Requires the user to uninstall the full program and run a secondary uninstall program before reinstall to resolve the broken Internet issue. 
4. Tech recommended going backward tech wise.   How is this forward thinking?
5. Blames user. Blames things completely unrelated with the real cause, which was mcafee program.
6. Tech left me with missing fonts, display that would not use "aero" win 7 features.  Had to research to get the fonts out of my archive so I can use them, and to get display functions fully working again. 

Hours wasted. Time I will never get back. 

I will NOT RENEW mcafee software, will not recommend it and will switch this machine to avast when the subscription is up.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:54:17 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Re: Mcafee antivirus software
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 09:15:39 AM »
I had a similar problem with Symantec Norton a few years ago and switched to McAfee but then got rid of that computer. Also previously tried PCTools Antivirus but had problems there too. Symantec's Enterprise Security Admin is a much better product but it's expensive unless there are a minimum of 5 PC's covered when the per unit price is reasonable. Have you tried Microsoft's Security Essentials? It's free but then I don't know it. Having an OS and protection from the same company might be a conflict in interests if a problem should arise, however it's freeee which has a nice sound to it.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:28:12 AM »
Avast free antivirus and free comodo firewall are a nice combination that work well together.  I put them on my mothers machine and several others.

On my old laptop I used avast internet security (paid) and liked it very much.  Light interface, full coverage.  Was $60 for 2 years, 3 pcs.  Far less than norton or mcafee.

MS security essentials...no thanks.  Internet Explorer has become nasty software, win is ok but vista and me were terrible and should not have been released. So no thanks.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:34:23 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 07:30:46 AM »
I also had problems with Norton, McAfee a AVG, specially the last one which gave me a HUGE problem, leaving my machine (and other thousands users) unable to boot after an "update". The issue unchained a series of problems that forced me to start from zero all over again.

Since then, I moved to AVAST and have had no problems… so far.
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 05:02:51 PM »
I have been using Kaspersky Internet Security for the last few years. It has performed far better than McAfee which I used previously.

:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 07:25:14 PM »
have heard only good things about Kaspersky.  Have a couple friends that use it
-Samantha