Author Topic: creating a "mailto:" link in CSB4  (Read 4045 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
creating a "mailto:" link in CSB4
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:03:04 PM »
i have a very simple question. how do i create a "mailto:" link on a page that when clicked will automatically open an email addressed to me. i tried doing it using the "link" tab but when i tested it, i got caught up in a microsoft wizard that asked for pop server information and other junk...i thought it was a straightforward thing to do, but i can't seem to figure it out. i want to be able to insert a link under some text that is something like "mailto:l....n@gmail.com?subject=hello?body=blah,blah,blah"
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:17:07 PM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Taxi driver supreme
    • Huddersfield Minibus. GRS-AEROBUS
Re: creating a "mailto:" link in CSB4
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:46:06 AM »
 :banghead:Hi, you were nearly there. Try this. Place cursor in place where you want the link to mailto.
Click LINK > create link to URL or File. In link properties box click arrow to show drop down list and select mailto: Move cursor to end of mailto: and type your email address.
Below this is Link description, select TEXT., click OK. that should show it on your page. Save as usual. Change text size- change clours- move link etc etc. Hope this helps. Graeme.
Graeme.

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Taxi driver supreme
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 12:09:27 PM »
 :hapscream:Forgot to say that when you click on the live link it will open your default email programme. Send a message to yourself to prove it works ok. Graeme. :hapscream:
Graeme.

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 01:11:33 PM »
hi graeme. thanks for the reply, but i get different results on different computers (perhaps because there are different default mail programs), but none seems to work. what i id was to highlight the text that i want to initiate the mailto: link to my email...i chose link/mailto: as you suggested, and in the second drop down i left the choice as 'selection' rather than chose 'text' because text put the 'mailto:' stuff on my web page which i don't want. i'd rather it be a hotlink behind an image or some more meaningful text.

then when i publish and click the link to test it out, on one computer it opens a microsoft word 'message program' that looks like an email but when i click send, it doesn't show up anywhere. on the other computer, it opens up an email as i expected, but when i click 'send' it invokes a microsoft wizard that asks me to enter pop server information...which i don't really know, so i never get to send the email. it wanted to set outlook express as my default mail program which i did not elect to do.

i have set up 'mailto;' links in other applications and have not had any problems but this one is confusing me?????

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 08:32:38 PM »
The problem you specify is that not everyone has an email program set up on their computer!
If you do a lot of gmail, yahoo, live or other online type emailing, your computer does not have a "default mail client" installed.
You can assign a program for your mail client in the browser TOOLS OPTIONS area.

If you have assigned a default mail client and actively use it, then your links open fine and you can send emails to that link.

If you have Outlook Express or Live Mail or Outlook, etc installed but are not actively using it, preferring to use online email clients, then your online link will cause your computer to try to open the link with what ever program it knows you have installed AND try to get you to set up your server info. (This fails, email is not sent, opportunity lost)

A FORM online will not have this reaction.  Everyone can Fill & Send no matter what they use to read emails.
Lots of free forms that are a better option!

===========

Might I suggest you use an obfiscator to build your MAILTO links? 

I strongly recommend using FORMS instead of mailto links to stop spammers from getting your addresses.
But if you really want to use mailto links, I suggest you Check out this free tool:  http://www.seowebsitepromotion.com/obfuscate_email.asp

I have used it as MIXED setting with excellent results. 
Fill in the blanks like this:

email:     blahblah@yoursite.com
    Link:       John Smith
    Title:       Email from YourSite.com
    Rollover:  Click to EMAIL John

Click MIXED and OBFUSCATE to get a piece of code that is a bit garbled.  (Some spammers can read this some can not. But if you use a standard MAILTO every spammer can read it!)
Place the code into an INSERT HTML box in CSB to get a nice email link that is a BIT safer than plain mailto link.
This is NOT as safe as using a form. 
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Taxi driver supreme
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 09:29:53 AM »
Hi, Sami has sent you some excellent info about forms, might try this myself considering spammers, although I don't have much trouble with this. If you still want the maito: option and hide it behind a photo, JUST DO THIS. rIGHT CLICK PHOTO AND INSERT THE MAILTO: AS YOU DID BEFORE BUT THIS TIME SELECT "SELECTION" press ok and save. When you put the cursor over the photo a hand and small arrow appear as the live link. You will need to set up your outlook express programme for this to work. as explained by Sami. If you google "setting up outlook express" there are numerous site to show how to do it. Try this for a starter http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=setting%20up%20outlook%20express&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CF4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.doodleit.co.uk%2Fweb-design-tips.php%3Ftitle%3DHow-to-setup-Outlook-Express-email&ei=rzm5TuWHEIbs8QO20dW2Bw&usg=AFQjCNEJRIw5j6eFGMx2vkykvrVa_4eVvw. come back if still stuck. Graeme.
 :TUP: :luck:
Graeme.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 06:23:09 PM »
Good link to Outlook Express setup instructions.  :TUP:
That program is discontinued, replaced with LIVE MAIL on newer windows systems.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )