Author Topic: Review  (Read 4182 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Review
« on: March 10, 2009, 09:16:21 PM »
RE:  the HTML code generated by XWD:  http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=36820
Can and does get google rankings.

The HTML stuff in Xara Xtreme Pro 4 was disappointing. 
But XWD has far more in it than I expected.
I tweaked the sample site they provided.  Great way to get to know the features. 
Gracious there is A LOT to learn to build a site with it and get the most out of the features.

MY OBSERVATIONS SO FAR:

I trashed the first copy of the Introduction website by dismantling everything I could (page properties and other options, unlocked, ungrouped, you name it...I did it.). It helped me to see SOME things, and not others. 

Then started over with a fresh copy of the introductions website.
I played with, added and removed items on the Repeating Header, made a new dragonfly graphic and assorted things.
Found it as fun as XXP4.  Addicting actually.  Kept wanting to TWEAK what I did instead of move to another element. 

XWD Positive:
- fast lightweight pages.
- generates a separate css file
- uploaded quickly
- can assign a preview folder of your own choice.
- XWD renames images like CSB, using only numbers not character names!   LOVE THIS! 
- uses compression and packaging like CSB. pages are in a single file for easy transport
- allows LAYERS
- allows grouping of objects for easy movement and placement on a specific layer
- allows grouping of objects on MULTIPLE layers (Soft Group)
- allows for INSERT HTML like CSB for flash, scripts, videos, etc. But you must upload the files MANUALLY to host. No option for web component so the program will upload them for you like CSB. Trellix called them webgems, XWD calls them widgets.
- uses PLACEHOLDER images to hold your Insert HTML, just like CSB! You can choose the graphic (like CSB) and even use a screenprint to define the space (like CSB).
- easy change colors of template, or style of template.
- easy to customize your website layout and colors.  Can even start empty and build from scratch.
- YOU define a set page size in the file properties  or simply drag horizontal/vertical to change page size.
- text that will move out of the way for your photos just by dragging - this option is SLICK! Well Done!  :clapping:
- capability like CSB to link within the file (from page to page)
- can use different file extensions to name pages  (SHTML, PHP or other type page extension) (first patch gave us this ability!)
- can add code to HEAD of document
- can use different versions of template within the same XWD design document
- you can have more than one compact design file, perfect for subdirectories, or multiple sites!
- Premade templates that you can adjust fully.  20 design sets each with 5 - 7 page layouts that work together.
- full forum support and several step by step tutorial movies and PDF instructions as well as user YouTube videos.
- you CAN publish to XWD design files to the same directory. They will NOT overwrite each other as long as your HOME page is not named index in both files.
- drop-down menus are not automatic. Can be built using a complicated tutorial, but the program CAN do them.  You can use external menu builders (like Webstyle, Menu Maker, etc) and insert that code into your pages. << hot topic on the XWD forum!
- no sitemap or outline.  XARA's XX and XWD have work table space AROUND the actual document. You can put update or change notes or other data on the worktable so you could manually build a site map like CSB, or an outline.

In general, XARA products FEEL good to use.  Solid, reliable and a sense of fun and pleasure.  Half the battle!

XWD Negative notes:
X must publish ALL PAGES each time. Does not upload only changes.
this is on the wish list for change so only the changes upload instead of all files.  Would not recommend this program for most people until this item is resolved.  FTP can be manually used to upload just changes if you know how to do that. Being researched by XARA now.
X FTP information for ONE site only is saved. Needs ability for multiple sites/subdirectories  Being researched by XARA now.
- no frames (iframes yes, but no frames)
- no automatic list of links generated like CSB can do, or sequences. 
- no form builder (but you can use an outside product to do that and insert code same as CSB)
- help file is only SOMEWHAT helpful. Couldn't find some things...or description was not helpful enough.
- no table building in XWD.  Must use a workaround method for tabular type data
  1) make them in an HTML builder and copy the code. put it in placeholder
  2) make them in XWD following these instructions.
  3) Build the table in Excel or other spreadsheet software, then take a screen shot of the data.  Insert the graphic of the table.  Not searchable, but does allow for repelling of text like other images.

Some functions are so close to CSB they are EASY to pickup immediately.  Others require more effort.  Will make a couple tutorials for Samisite to help explain once I understand better!   :P

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 09:54:12 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )