Author Topic: Change one thing word game  (Read 1333358 times)

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Re: Change one thing word game
« Reply #2950 on: January 07, 2010, 05:25:33 PM »
Hi All,

I found a new way to search on our official Dict.com. Just type a "?" wildcard instead of a letter in a word and if there are alternatives they will show up. It seems to work for all the letters in a word except the first letter. E.g. if you want a word like "waiter" but with other alternatives for the letter "i", type "wa?ter" and you will get words like "waster" and "watter".
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2951 on: January 07, 2010, 07:00:39 PM »
Cool find E!   Thanks!   :clapping: :clapping:  :clapping:
Will have to use that.
I have been using Design 215 Word Pattern Finder, but it does not always have the same words as dic.com.

Tony we all give up.  You win (again :P).  New word please.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2952 on: January 08, 2010, 04:08:46 AM »
OK, this is the new word, from our page titles:

today

I found Ed's find extraordinarily useful, but...
now the game becomes much easier, it is just a matter of time.
The winner will be who has more time to dedicate to the game.

Please allow me to suggest once again that some restrictions should be applied.
One of this rules can be that the new word must be different, neither conjugated nor its plural. Eventhough, using the dic.com wild card it's still easy to play.

:xmouth: :xmouth:
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #2953 on: January 08, 2010, 06:36:14 PM »
toddy

I agree with Tony. I think it is time to kill the dreaded plural! Using dic.com, even without the wild card, has made the game much easier (although we still get winners), so I think we need to balance it a bit with some tougher rules.

I agree in principle with Tony's suggestion that the new word needs to be a different word, not conjugate or plural of the previous word. But we need to be very clear what "conjugated" means in this context. Tony, could you give some examples please?

Having said that, I may not see your decisions for a while. Tomorrow morning I am off to China again for 3 weeks. If the situation is the same as before, Samisite is not accessible in China, so see you all in 3 weeks!

(Sam, if you change the rules, will you please send me a PM, to ensure I will be aware of the changes when I get back - maybe just a link to the posts defining the changes)

Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2954 on: January 09, 2010, 05:47:09 PM »
teddy

:TUP: Tony, I agree with your suggestion of banishing plurals, but  ??? conjugation in English can be problematic so we need rules, as Rick suggests, if we are going to implement it too. I can't think of a simple rule and it seems much easier to conjugate in the Latin languages as a single letter makes a big difference, e.g. the verb 'love' (amo) has inflections such as amo, amas, amat, but in English you need two words to conjugate the inflections, e.g. I love, you love, we love. In addition, in English the same word is often a noun and a verb making conjugation more complex but in the Latin languages it is simpler, e.g. 'love' is a verb and also a noun but amo changes with only one letter to amor in Latin.

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2955 on: January 10, 2010, 05:45:04 AM »
eddy

Yea, I agree that conjugation in English can be a real pain and a big trouble maker… you're telling me!! but the thing can be solved just avoiding those words that have the same meaning, In other words, the same “root”, no matter the time of conjugation. e.g. love, loved, loves, lover - In this example, we have verb, adjective and noun, but all have the same root: love.

For the records, in Spanish, the verb is “amar” (all verbs end with - ar - er - ir -) and two word are also needed to conjugate them: yo amo, tu amas, él ama, nosotros amamos, vosotros amais, ellos aman… pretty difficult, isn’it ? The noun is amor  :hearts:

I don’t want to complicate the game, I will accept your final decision, but now, with the wild card, the game has lost a little of interest if I leave the computer to find a word for me. I can even go further and choose a word from the suggested list that has no more continuity, just doing a fast check with the wild card…
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2956 on: January 16, 2010, 07:08:13 PM »
edgy

Well......I have thought about this for a few days now.....
I have read and re-read Tony and Rick's comments.

For years I have used many different ways to find playable words.
Yet I have not won a single game!  :(
So in the end, using technology to find more words, or find words easier is NOT the way to WIN the game.  
It does not hinder my ability to play the game, help me to win (obviously) or take the joy from the game.
And technology like the ? can be avoided. Just choose not to use it if it removes some of the fun for you.
Even if the ? at dic.com or any other site helps to find words faster, it does not necessarily lead to a win!

To win it, you must direct the answers to a stopping point.  
It takes effort to direct the word play.
So far, Tony and Rick are far superior in this regard.  So far...

The original concept is simple. Change one thing for another word.
We have tightened and clarified the concept but not changed the intent.

1) I believe that keeping the game SIMPLE is most important. Maybe I am wrong, but the more complicated rules that are added will add more disputes and more stops in the game.

2) Taking away conjugations, plurals and other twists only adds complications to a simple game, especially when you consider this is an international community. English is not an easy language when it is the first language, and must be a mess to others.

3) At this point, I don't want to take out plurals or stop conjugations. There have been times that plurals have been the turning point, not the end of a game. I find it quite amusing to see who resorts to the "s".  I like to use it but Tony and Rick tend to shy away from it and act like they have a gun pointing at them in order to play it.  FUNNY!  Why would I want to rule against that type of thing!  LOL!  It makes me laugh to think to mature men are threatened by a tiny "s".

SO... at this point..... the ruling is:  :judge: :rules: :judge:  The plurals and conjugations stay.  

I TRULY hope and pray that you guys will continue to play the game and accept the ruling.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2957 on: January 17, 2010, 04:28:51 AM »
edge

:agree:

I accept the rules as it and I promise you not to argue any more   :'(  :verysad:  :xmouth:

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN ! :whip: :whip:  

LOL  LOL  LOL   :hearts:

P.S.
I'll use ANYTHING permitted to try winning the game   >:D >:D

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 04:34:48 AM by Tony41 »

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2958 on: January 17, 2010, 07:15:03 AM »
hedge

Sami, I didn't know that. Very interesting!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2959 on: January 17, 2010, 07:51:05 PM »
ledge

Great! Felt like I was out on a ledge when making the ruling....
Glad to see both Ed and Tony are on board.  Hope Rick is too when back from China.
You can complain if you want Tony...sometimes it's quite FUNNY!  LOL

Sami, I didn't know that.
What?  That I have used sites to come up with words, or that I have never won?   rofl LOL...
Maybe the ? that you told us about will finally help me!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2960 on: January 18, 2010, 03:13:33 AM »
pledge

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2961 on: January 18, 2010, 05:01:40 AM »
sledge

Sami,
Sorry for not being clear. I was referring to your
It makes me laugh to think to mature men are threatened by a tiny "s".
as I don't know how you arrived to this conclusion.  rofl

I must mention that I know the goal is to win, but I also enjoy seeing it continue. Almost like trying to see how long it can go on without stopping. Subconsciously, I may have changed my goal to avoid it from stopping. Are you keeping a scoreboard? I haven't seen Safari Woman on the forum regularly, and Jim who started this game has disappeared.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2962 on: January 19, 2010, 04:53:54 PM »
sludge

Are you keeping a scoreboard?
Yes....there is a reference thread to identify the beginning and end of each game.

Jim has been ill and does not spend much time on the computer these days. We are in contact through email.
Wanda is a social butterfly, with so many projects and traveling so she stops in when she can.
Rick is usually here, unless he is on one of his journeys. Likes to go wandering about China. He has told us some of this exploits. Samisite is banned in China so he will post when he returns.
And you wandered away for a while too. It's lovely to have you back while time permits.

I don't know how you arrived to this conclusion.
E, you have been very busy not not playing our silly word games so you have missed some of the drama.  :D
Tony has been a constant contributor, and part of the family for a couple years now.
He has been a wonderful addition to the games.
He often stirring up trouble.  ;)  
Or debates, or foolishness with Rick which is just plain FUN.   :D
You would be quite amused by some of the exchanges!  I can only imagine if the three of you ganged up together!   rofl

Many posts have tried to get me to stop using the tiny little "s".  Tony even made a campaign SIGN.
He and Rick tend to blame other people for FORCING THEM to use that tiny little "s".
Several times there have been campaigns to remove the "s" plural from play.
Go to this post and read the next several in a row for just one example of this issue:
http://samisite.com/forum/index.php?topic=37.msg7794#msg7794
There have been MANY such 'discussions about the defenseless little "s". And in that particular exchange NO ONE would play the "s" even though it would mean the game would continue, not end.
These silly things just make me laugh.
So at one point I added a rule that everyone except Tony could use the "s"
http://samisite.com/forum/index.php?topic=37.msg7510#msg7510

I must mention that I know the goal is to win, but I also enjoy seeing it continue. Almost like trying to see how long it can go on without stopping.
Yep!   :hapscream: :clapping: :hapscream:   I AGREE!  
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2963 on: January 19, 2010, 06:16:44 PM »
sludgy

Thanks for tall the explanations and I do hope Jim recovers. My work makes me wonder about the globe and the internet can be frightfully expensive in certain countries. Connectivity can be awful in some areas and some companies understandably don't allow me to use their internet facilities, so I use 3G tethering where it is available, but have to careful for the costs.

I read and like the sign Tony made and although I will abide by the rules, it is wonderful that you allow us to stir from time to time. Between you, Tony, Rick, and me when I am able to, we make quite a unique bunch of goofers, don't we?  :P I mean, a German American, a Spanish speaking Italian, Chinese loving Australian, and mix of all sorts from South Africa.  ;) How did this happen I wonder.

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2964 on: January 19, 2010, 07:24:12 PM »
smudge

:D

Ed, are you writing from South Africa? I don't know why, I thought you lived in UK..  :)
It seems one of the old and classic jokes: "An American, an Italian and an Australian are in a plane..." (every country uses its own preferred nationalities...)"
Have you heard it?   :D rofl

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2965 on: January 20, 2010, 07:06:19 PM »
smudged

Tony....  rofl  Seems like I have heard a joke or two like that...

I LOVE the interaction on this forum, the different views, the different backgrounds. It is exciting to learn something new about how someone else sees things, how they do things.

it is wonderful that you allow us to stir from time to time
OF COURSE!  When I called it the "community forum" I really meant it.  You guys are my little family in cyberspace! And families squabble and disagree, or pick on each other sometimes just for fun.

I mean, a German American, a Spanish speaking Italian, Chinese loving Australian, and mix of all sorts from South Africa.   How did this happen I wonder.
Simple. CSB brought us all together.   :TUP:
Trellix & CSB was sold in so many countries. Through the years on the Trellix, GS & Samisite forums, we have had discussions from people in the USA, Italy, Holland, Japan, South Africa, Australia, UK, Canada, Germany and others. Some of us just hung around a bit more than others and developed attachments. But at the heart of it, a cheap piece of software brought us all together. Strange to think that such a simple piece of software would cause such loyalty in its users, and facilitate long-term communication even after the software is gone.  Trellix/CSB used to appeal to mature folks, not kids so the likelyhood that we would get along is higher. But I have to credit the FIRST Trellix forum (known as the Trellix Cafe) for setting the initial tone: family, friendly, helpful, fun, and a bit silly!  The forums may have changed, but we just carried on from that point with the same tone!

My home is filled with different kinds of woods because I am not a matchy-matchy person. I don't want every dish on my table to be the same pattern. I find it very pleasant to have pieces that are very different, but work well together. I don't want all my furniture to be covered in the same upholstery. In real life, I have friends on the farthest ends of the political spectrum, different religions and beliefs, and ages (19-84 currently). This forum reflects that same concept. Different opinions, different views, different countries, different ideologies, different work, yet we all get along so well, respect each other and our differences.  How terrific is that!!!

If someone had told me that if you build a little website with a free piece of software and 10 years later you will be in constant touch with people around the globe, I would not have believed it.   I am so delighted, so HAPPY to know you guys and am so thankful that you choose to share some of your time, your thoughts. It is such a pleasure!
 :flowers: :hug: :flowers:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 07:18:50 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2966 on: January 21, 2010, 02:56:46 PM »
sludged

:clapping:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2967 on: January 21, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
sludges

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
And I am not apologizing for it either!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2968 on: January 22, 2010, 07:17:17 AM »
sludger

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2969 on: January 22, 2010, 05:21:34 PM »
bludger

Tony, I post from the UK when there, but am mainly in sunny SA. Over the years I've heard many tri-nation jokes. I don't know if you know that the Irish, bless their souls, are known to be very very fond of their liquid nourishment. I've been to Ireland and have witnesses many a lamp post being held upright by a drunk Irishman, so here is one in their honor.

One day an Englishman, a Scotsman, and an Irishman walked into a pub together. They each bought a pint of Guinness. Just as they were about to enjoy their creamy beverage, three flies landed in each of their pints, and were stuck in the thick head. The Englishman pushed his beer away in disgust. The Scotsman fished the fly out of his beer, and continued drinking it as if nothing had happened. The Irishman too, picked the fly out of his drink, held it out over the beer, and started yelling, "SPIT IT OUT, SPIT IT OUT, SPIT IT OUT!"

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2970 on: January 22, 2010, 10:26:11 PM »
budger

I am 25% Irish and think I have met that man!    rofl
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2971 on: January 23, 2010, 03:08:31 AM »
budgers

:whip:

Ed, that was a really good one!  rofl

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2972 on: January 23, 2010, 09:44:22 AM »
budgets

(Tony you did not HAVE to play that "s" so I am proud of you for playing it!   :clapping:)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2973 on: January 26, 2010, 03:10:54 AM »
OK... OK. I'll take it out!

budget

:D

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2974 on: January 26, 2010, 06:27:39 AM »
fudget

??? A question only an Irishman could ask: "How come every time you ring a wrong number it's never engaged?"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 06:51:25 AM by Ed »

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2975 on: January 26, 2010, 08:29:14 AM »
Check your word Ed... it's not on dic.com...  :noshake:

engaged = busy ?  :-\

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2976 on: January 27, 2010, 04:53:55 PM »
budger

Sorry,  :oops: I thought it was a word used in the USA as well so did not check it. Here, a fudget is any computer widget like a clock or a calendar for the desktop.

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2977 on: January 27, 2010, 05:25:22 PM »
 :nofinger:   rofl rofl

Ed, look five posts back...

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2978 on: January 27, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
E, Tony's a stickler for the rules....even the ones he bends.   rofl

That word was used already.  How about another one.

:oops:

I will have to remember your "fudget". I like it.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2979 on: January 28, 2010, 03:43:30 AM »
 :police:   >:D

rofl

... stickler for the rules....
Hope you all don't   :whip:  me when I fail myself...

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2980 on: January 28, 2010, 06:49:17 AM »
budged

:oops: again :repair:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2981 on: January 28, 2010, 08:27:38 PM »
bludged

(This has been a HARD word group for me!!!)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2982 on: January 29, 2010, 05:00:48 AM »
blunged

(You're telling me!!)

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2983 on: January 29, 2010, 05:00:26 PM »
plunged

I found another way to help find words with this game but I won't tell you unless you want me to. It requires an Apple iPod to work and I know some of you have them but I don't know if you all do.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2984 on: January 30, 2010, 12:33:10 PM »
plunge

I have itouch and can only access internet with it when in a wifi area. Send me a pm with your alternative method.  >:D
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2985 on: January 30, 2010, 01:41:19 PM »
...I don't know if you all do.

I don't...  :verysad:

lunge

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2986 on: January 31, 2010, 08:52:35 PM »
lounge
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2987 on: February 01, 2010, 02:57:10 AM »
loungy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2988 on: February 01, 2010, 10:50:06 AM »
 :-\

great word tony!  still thinking on it......  ???
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2989 on: February 02, 2010, 02:31:45 PM »
 :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2990 on: February 02, 2010, 02:36:14 PM »
 LOL

Should we wait?   :-\

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2991 on: February 02, 2010, 06:16:10 PM »
no.   Go ahead with a new word.  Congrats on that win.  It was a HARD list of words!

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2992 on: February 03, 2010, 02:40:46 AM »
OK thanks, this is the new word, taken from your signature:

Nerd

(I was just about to use "geek", but it seems to have only one more word after...)   :v8slap:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2993 on: February 03, 2010, 10:22:41 AM »
herd
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2994 on: February 03, 2010, 11:56:58 AM »
herb

:clapping: Weld done Tony.

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2995 on: February 03, 2010, 02:52:14 PM »
 :TUP:

hera

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2996 on: February 03, 2010, 07:57:43 PM »
era   (new)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #2997 on: February 04, 2010, 05:53:29 AM »
erg

Back home now!  :)
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #2998 on: February 04, 2010, 06:07:49 AM »
ergo

Nice to hear from you again Rick.
Welcome back.

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2999 on: February 04, 2010, 12:32:06 PM »
eroo

:hapscream: Rick :hapscream: