Author Topic: How do I resize site to differnet browsers?  (Read 4962 times)

Offline hidden

• ???
    • DB Searles
How do I resize site to differnet browsers?
« on: February 11, 2007, 11:03:49 PM »
Working on a new website dbsearles.com and trying to figure out how to resize to fit the various browsers. Don't want to resize their browsers (had complaints for that one before). Alny help is appreciated. Thanks, Caren
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:13:14 AM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
Re: How do I resize site to differnet browsers?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 12:14:21 AM »
dbs - Are you asking about different browsers (IE, Firefox, etc.) or about screen resolutions? After clicking over to your site, I'm guessing the problem is with screen resolutions. With my resolution set at 1024x768, which is pretty common, I do have to scroll horizontally to see the entire page, and horizontal scrolling is probably what you've had complaints about.

The simplest way to keep horizontal scrolling at a minimum is to set your own screen resolution on the lowest resolution most of your visitors are likely to use, while you're designing your site. That way, as you're setting up your pages you'll be seeing the pages as those visitors will. If you have CSB5, you have the capability to set table width as a percentage of the screen width instead of a specific pixel number, so that may be helpful.

-- What screen resolutions you have to design for will depend on who your site visitors are. "Techy" computer sites, for example, can usually afford to design for higher screen resolutions because "techy" computer people tend to use higher screen resolutions. If your visitors are less computer-centric, they'll probably tend to use lower screen resolutions. If you're getting complaints from regular visitors, that's a good sign that you need to design for lower resolutions. If your webhost gives you access to your site statistics, you may be able to find out what percentage of your visitors are using which screen resolutions.

If my guess is wrong, and you are asking about different browsers, you may need to describe the problem more sppecifically - There are differences in how different browsers will "see" the same web page, but they don't usually involve resizing.

Offline hidden

• ???
    • DB Searles
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 10:23:04 AM »
Thanks, I was talking about screen resolution. Will try your ideas and see what works best. Caren

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 12:00:56 PM »
Build to the lowest resolution that is acceptable to you, based on the type of visitor you get.

Samisite and several others I work on are built at 800x600. The visitors are not high tech and still have a high number of 800x600 monitors in use!  The home page of samisite is CENTERED so the web page still looks decent on higher resolutions.

If I built the site while my OWN computer is set to 800x600 and I do not have to scroll side to side to build it, then those using that resolutions also do not have to scroll once it is published.

If you set your machine to 1024x768 to build the site and no scrolling is needed then your 800x600 users will receive a bottom side-to-side scroll bar.  If you have few users with 800x600 then that is not a problem.

CSB5 users have the best option:
Build your web page to lowest resolution (set your own monitor to it and make the pages fit like normal) THEN, set the % width in the table so it changes to the resolution of your visitor!  Visit this page for samples and tests of this new function.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )