Author Topic: Updating Cutesite 4  (Read 5154 times)

Offline hidden

• Restricted
Updating Cutesite 4
« on: January 07, 2008, 10:21:48 AM »
Hi , I've been trying to update my site using cutesite 4. I republished the entire site and the old site still appears.
I use go-daddy as my server. Never had any problems before. In setup I leave the FTP directory blank. That's the only way
I can upload.
Should I delete the entire site and reload, I'd prefer to just update. Any help appreciated.. :banghead:
Thanks,
Mike Holmes
www.daylilytrader.com

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Updating Cutesite 4
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 12:21:19 PM »
This situation is typical.  Check 2 different things.

1) Are you seeing your CURRENT files or what is on your own computer cache?  Open Internet Explorer, choose TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, settings.  Make sure you have the box checked to check for every time I visit the web page.  Most folks on dialup do not like this setting as it takes longer to load the web page. But in exchange, you ALWAYS get the most up-to-date page.

2) Make sure WHERE you are publishing.  If your host has a specific folder that you must use, make sure you are using it.  Some use: web, www, public, public_html, html, etc   If you are publishing to a folder that is NOT your WEBSITE folder, then you will NOT see those pages!  Check your publishing settings for the FTP directory!  Take a look at this page to see an example of the settings for samisite.com.  By the way, hosts sometimes CHANGE the name of this folder.  [Happened recently to someone that never had to use one, but host changed thier settings and did not tell the clients.]

You might use an FTP program to connect and wander around.  Look at the dates of the files.  Where are the new ones, and the old ones.

3) ALSO... If you are publishing to an IP address instead of ftp.yourdomain.com... Your website may have been moved to another server and you are connecting to the old one.  Check with your host.  [YES this happened to an account of mine when I first got started.  Kept uploading over and over, updating but not looking to see if the changes were applied.  Assumed since it went through it since Trellix confirmed the upload.  Found out that 2 weeks of uploads went to the OLD server while the world was seeing the NEW server.  Contacted the host and they told me to change my setting from IP to ftp..... and republish.  Worked. The website IP had physically changed but the old server had not been dismantled yet.]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 12:29:06 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 04:50:51 PM »
Hi Sam,

Your idea on servers sparked an interest.

I recently changed from registrar.com to godaddy.
I  uploaded everything fine to godaddy and I thought thats where my site was being displayed.
Apparently not :yuck: My url is still being seen through registrar, even though I did not renew my contract with them.
So you were right my updates went to godaddy and my site was being seen on the old server.
To make a quick fix I updated my old server which still accepted my previous password and ID and ftp.
That worked! :clapping:
Now I have to figure out why my godaddy server is not where traffic is being directed to.

Thanks,
Mike
www.daylilytrader.com

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 05:26:11 PM »
Did you change registrar AND host or just registrar?
If you changed host, have you changed your DNS settings?  The DNS are sign posts...this way to xyzsite.com

If your DNS settings were kept the same when you moved registrars, then YES, everyone in the world would still be pointed to the OLD server.  SO... You need to know what your DNS server settings are for your current host.

AND to make the issue more confusing... you can be REGISTERED with one company and HOSTED with another.
Lambert's website is registered with NetworkSolutions.com but hosted on totalchoicehosting.com
We have set our DNS settings on NetworkSolutions account pointing to the TCH DNS servers.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 09:41:15 AM »
Thankyou :hearts: DNS is now pointed the right diection.

A word of note is tha my ISP, Comcast, did not update right away. I had a friend check sight through their ISP and it looked fine.
Checked Comcast this morning and all is well.

MikeHolmes
www.daylilytrader.com

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 10:36:09 AM »
Congrats!!!  Glad you have that resolved!
DNS settings take 48-72 hours to propagate.   Most within 24 hours but some take longer.
Computers talk to other computers, spreading the word...gossiping about your website.  >:D
"PSST...Have you heard?  xyzsite.com is now over here >>>"
During that time, some people will see the old site, some will see the new one till word gets around.  Just like a small town.  :D

Standard wisdom says if you are moving from one host to another, you have working site on host A, and build site on host B, having a one month overlap of service. Leave DNS pointing to host A until host B site is up and functional (you can test with temporary address provided by your host).  Then on a Friday you change the DNS.  Over the weekend, the propagation takes place and by Monday, the VAST majority of the visitors will be seeing the new website on host B.  Then site on host A can be dismantled.  This is the safest and most reliable way to move a website to a new host without causing your visitors shock.
-Samantha