Author Topic: Lost my web page  (Read 7936 times)

Offline hidden

Lost my web page
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:08:43 PM »
Hi folks I'm back.  My website is hosted by netfirms and they offered a free photo gallery so I started using it and now when you type in my website www.lostriverkennels.com the only thing that comes up is my gallery.  I went in and deleted my zenphoto account but it is still there.  Rick if you still have my info you can go in and look around and see what I might have done.  The address for the gallery is www.lostriverkennels.com Gallery I am so confused as usual.
Thanks
Jim Beasley
a.k.a. Pointerman

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Lost my web page
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 05:52:02 PM »
Rick is traveling in China and may not be able to access the forum

I went to your site and you don't have as much damage as you think you do. :clapping:
Go to this page: lostriverkennels.com/TlxTransfer.txt
That file is published by CSB everytime you update your website with CSB.
If the file is damaged or lost, CSB must republish ALL pages in the tlx design file to fix it.
Your file is intact and so are almost all your pages.
   puppies_for_sale.htm was listed on that TlxTransfer.txt file so I went to this page:
   lostriverkennels.com/puppies_for_sale.htm
Click the links across the top.  All the pages are intact EXCEPT for HOME page.
The index.htm page is intact.   :boogie:  visit it here:  lostriverkennels.com/index.htm
Many hosts use default.html, default.htm, index.html, index.htm as the main "home" page of the site. 
All web hosts have a priority list.  If your host has a priority list that puts some page name as priority over index.htm, that page will become your home page instead of the index.htm page that CSB makes.
When you made your gallery, a new home page called index.php was made.
You can visit it here:  lostriverkennels.com/index.php
The index.php has priority over index.htm.
Just remove the index.php file from your main directory and you will get your website back the way you want it.
If you can assign a subdirectory to your gallery (check your admin settings, call it gallery) you can visit it by going to this page: lostriverkennels.com/gallery/index.php

(I will get back in touch re PM shortly!)
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 07:35:40 PM »
Sami,
  I never have figured out where I need to go to get to where you are talking about but I want to learn.  If I send you my username and password can you give me some direction how to manuver around my host website I can't even find my main directory and I think I have clicked on every link there is.  Your help is appreciated.
God Bless
Jim

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 10:23:13 PM »
Sure.  Send me your info in PM. After I get it, I will zap it from the sql database so it does not cause a security risk.
I will be in and out this weekend so will try to get you an answer as fast as I can.

Your host may provide a file manager access. But not all do. And some only allow one file at a time to be accessed.
FTP is a better, faster way to see/access your website folder.

Let me suggest that you download and install an FTP software program. 
I recommend COREFTP.  http://www.coreftp.com/
It is free with no nag screens. Can even access SFTP (secure FTP) with it. 

This thread goes over the basics of FTP:  http://samisite.com/forum/index.php?topic=240.0
I go into specifics of using the software, show you settings with screen prints, and even give CSB specific info.
It will get you started and MAY be able to answer most/all your questions. 

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 07:49:55 AM »
Sami I sent you a PM with the info but I have sent several other PM's to you but no reply and there is nothing in my outbox are you getting them?  Or do I have another problem that I am not aware of.
Thanks and God Bless
Jim
PS if you go into my comain manager will you also fix the photo album so I can send links to my family?  I am pretty sure I can do that I have seen the subfolders section looking around in there.  If you would like to call (collect would be fine my number is on my webpage) and walk me through it that would be fine as I would really like to learn how all this works but I sometimes don't understand the computer lingo you guys use as I am really not very good at this computer/website stuff.
Again God bless you and your family and our Samisite family as well.
Jim

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 09:09:46 AM »
Jim...the first post I made to you on this thread said:
(I will get back in touch re PM shortly!)
That was before I told you to PM me about your site!
You didn't realize it, but I WAS acknowledging that I got your PM's.
I read them but did not have time to properly respond.    :yes: :yes: :yes:

Your control panel is a pain.  (I LOVE working in cPANEL which some hosts offer for the ease and simplicity)
I can NOT get your File Manager to load in my browser this morning and don't have time to fuss with it...

Please understand that I am willing to help YOU LEARN about your site, to improve your skills.
I LOVE helping people learn something new!  So exciting.

I have already given you the instruction to download and install an FTP and provided basic instructions for understanding its use and what to expect, etc.
Did you do download, install, read instructions I linked to?

This week has been very tight and this weekend will be too (Mother's day and other things that are scheduled). PLEASE accept that I sometimes have to triage my requests for assistance. Give some priority over others. Dead/Missing site (like this thread) is more important than how do I change a color...etc when I have limited time. I do go back and pick up the pieces when the time permits.
USUALLY, I respond quite fast. But sometimes I need some time for myself in the real world.  :hug:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 09:23:04 AM »
I can NOT get your www (your website folder) to open in your control panel.  It locks up my Internet Explorer every time!   Will try by FTP....

I connected one time for 10 seconds and I was cut off.  Can not get back in.
Don't want to poke around in your personal settings of the site...please tell me if you have the type of account that allows for FTP access.  Some hosts require a better account with more features to use FTP software....

What settings do you use in CSB?  without the user name/password fields, please describe all the other fields you use in CSB.  (Publish > OPTIONS > HOSTS > MODIFY).

I have spent over an hour this morning on your issue and not gotten anything done for you or me...   :'(
Gotta get to my own work... I await your response.....
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 09:37:09 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 10:47:47 AM »
Hi Sami,
  I understand you are very busy and I do appreciate your help and I do apoligize for my impatience.  My web host does have FTP access but since I'm not very good I have never used it.  I have not had time to do what you suggested had to go the the Vet and pick up one of my boys he has been very sick.  I was having problems getting into file manager last night once I read your first post.  Is it easy to transfet my stuff to cPANEL since I'm pretty much computer illiterate I am always looking for easier ways to do things.  Here is what is om my publish site when I publish my site:

FTP site name:  lostriverkennels.com
Site web address:  http://lostriverkennels.com
FTP host address:  lostriverkennels.com
FTP host port:  21
FTP directory:  www
FTP username:  **********
FTP password: ***********
Confirm Password:  **************
Default filename:  index.html
FTP Mode:  passive

Hopes this helps I will be on line on and off all weekend and I appreciate your help.

Tell Your Mother Happy Mother Days and may God bless her and all the great mothers out ther

God Bless
Jim

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:14:05 AM by pointerman »

Offline hidden

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 12:39:20 PM »
Sami,
  ust wanted to let you know that my hosting company does not have FTP without an upgrade and I don't think I want to do that now.  Can you suggest another hosting company that is a litlle more user friendly.
Thanks and God Bless
Jim

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 01:30:03 PM »
Sami,
 Just wanted to let you know that my hosting company does not have FTP without an upgrade and I don't think I want to do that now.  Can you suggest another hosting company that is a litlle more user friendly.
Thanks and God Bless
Jim
Yes.   I have dealt with many hosts.
So far, in my 10 years experience with my own sites, my employer's sites, friends and clients sites....I have to say that TCH is still my favorite and I plan to keep samisite and the forum here indefinitely.
Here's a few of my reasons for staying with and recommending TCH for my hosting:
reasons for staying with an recommending my host: TotalChoiceHosting.com
1) cost  ($4/mo or $44/yr)  Everyone can afford this level.
2) plans fit real site needs! Even the starter plan looks tiny but it is bigger and better than you think.  Check out lambertusa.com to see what can be done with a storage space of this size!
About a 100  page site with  Hundreds of downloadable pdf files. Password protected directories
3) They do not promise UNLIMITED bandwidth/storage because they do not over sell the servers. They maintain fixed limits and this keeps EVERYONE's website up and running.
3) The TCH host Control panel is one of the best in the industry: cPanel.  The only other that I have worked with that is as loaded is PLESK.  cPanel puts ALL your controls for the site in one place.  Many hosts (godaddy, and others) have a mis-mash of screens.
4) TCH also INCLUDES a HUGE number of things that webmasters need but are usually considered as add-ons! All the plans include REAL benefits like FTP, email (POP and webmail with calendar, cgi-bin, shopping cart software, password protection, more... Why should you pay extra to have basic needs like FTP? And Statistics! Gracious AWStats gives wonderful information and stores it as long as you have the account with TCH!  I have years of data about samisite. Most hosts either do not offer stats or give a weaker package.  Even the free counters like statcounter.com limit the amount of data they store on your behalf before they charge you.
5) They maintain clean servers that are stable, with good uptime, lots of backups, support is ticket system, through Instant message and other ways. No 24 hour phone but I do not find this a bad thing. In all the years I have used TCH, I have only had to call TCH twice! The ticket and other support options have been excellent for me.
6) They have an extensive forum for community and guidance.
7) No ads. TCH does not bombard you with constant ads, spam emails, notification that features require upgrade!  GoDaddy may be cheap on the surface, but you pay extra for every little feature and it is not a good value! SPAMMY!
and there are more reasons....

If you want an ONLINE site builder, they don't offer it.
But I never recommend you use one of those anyway.
If you build a site with one of them you are STUCK at that host and can not move your pages to another host.
Better to use your own software and FTP pages to the site.
Hosting gets sluggish, non-responsive support, etc, you can move your site to another host easily!
The lambertusa.com website did not start at TCH. It was moved to TCH when the old host could not meet the needs of the growing site. Based on high reputation and personal recommendation, I moved that site, saved a lot of money and have NEVER regretted that decision!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 01:55:56 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 09:06:23 AM »
Thanks for the info Sami I went to there site and it looked pretty good.  If I sign up how hard would it be to move everything from Netfirms to TCH?  Seeing how I am computer illiterate I would need you guys help.  I've worked on getting my website back up instead of my albums but no luck yet. 
Better get back to work if you can help me I as usual would appreciate it.
Thanks and God Bless
Jim

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 12:15:57 PM »
I will put together a good answer tonight and post it.
Not difficult.
And having direct access to your account, publishing, ftp and so many other things will open a new world to you.
I have been where you are and I KNOW it can be frustrating that SIMPLE things just won't work.
I remember the first account we had for our company site... no direct FTP access, limited abilities so I felt like I was hitting a wall every time I tried to do something.  :banghead:  I didn't know we were missing things, didn't know I needed some of these basics.  Once I had access to some of it, it was so freeing!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 08:02:19 AM »
Thank You Sami you are such a great person to work with!!!  Not being pushy but have you had time to look into getting my page up yet I have puppies on the way and people who are interested in the puppies are sending me emails wondering where my web page went.  If you a covered up I do understand I was just wandering.

Thanks and God Bless
JIM

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 11:03:11 AM »
On my first post to you, I told you that your website is intact, working fine, BEHIND that gallery front page that the gallery script installed. I told you how to see your website, by putting in this address: lostriverkennels.com/index.htm
You could have told your customers to do that same thing!
Both you and your customers had a way to see the site all the time.

TODAY:
I DELETED both your coppermine and zen photo galleries using your admin panel.  This should have taken away that index.php page made by zen photo. It did not. I am surprised by that. Means the installation of those 2 galleries is leaving behind pages/pictures that should not be left behind. They are still stored on your web space! Please go into your admin and look at the applications. All three types (coppermine, gallery2 and zen photo) show none installed. Yet the gallery pages remain taking room on the server. And the main page index.php was blocking your website home page.

- FTP would not work in standard FTP, secure FTP or HTTP modes.
- Using Internet Explorer (current version) I could not load your file manager. Failed and dumped my IE a few times.
- Using FIREFOX, I was able to access your file manager finally.
Your file manager is missing many basic functions!  You can not even rename files!

My only choice was to DELETE the gallery main page index.php.
This caused your index.htm made by CSB to finally reappear as your home page.

SO...This is where you stand:
1) your site is back to functional
2) your gallery pages are still taking space on your website but you no longer have the main page of the gallery.
3) you can rebuild your gallery but this time, ASSIGN A DIRECTORY for your gallery!

Look at this picture:

You left the path field blank, so the gallery did exactly what it said it would do "Leave blank to install to default home page"

Next time, you fill in a word like gallery in that field and the gallery would end up at this address instead:
lostriverkennels.com/gallery/index.php
and would NOT interfere with your main website.

4) Your control panel at net firms is clear and easy to use. If it had a couple more features I would say you are getting a good deal. But you are missing some basic features that give you control of your website. I would never go back to a site I can not see/edit with FTP. That one thing could have resolved your issue, same day.
Just my humble opinion....
-Samantha

Offline hidden

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 05:56:58 PM »

Thank You very much you are my computer hero!!!!!!!  I apoligize for being such a pain I did email the address you sent me to the people who already are in line for puppies it is getting to the people out there looking that I was concerned with.  Again sorry for my impatience I still have about 9 months lest on this subscription and when it gets close to renewing I am going to the site you mentioned, TCH unless you think it is in my best interest to do so now.  What do you think?  And if it is not very hard to do.  I read your post that you would send more details late that is fine please take your time I am in no hurry but would like to learn.
  Again Sami thank you I know you are busy and I know I can be pain but you aare very much appreciated.
Thank You and God Bless
Jim

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 10:18:48 PM »
I will write up some info re changing to new host and post it.
Dealing with a very nasty head cold (snuffle, snort, sneeze, wheeze, blow, and repeat!) so have not been on the computer since this morning.
Maybe tomorrow I will feel good enough to do it...
Since your site is running, it is not IMMEDIATELY URGENT. :)
 :ill:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 07:48:43 AM »
Sami sorry you are feeling so bad it has been going around here in Indiana too.  Quite a few guys have missed some work days with it.  Chicken noodle soup and a lot of rest is what it takes.  :TUP:  Don't be in any hurry writing up the transfer stuff.  I am just so happy my page is back up and running thanks to you :hearts:  I just renewed in Feb so I have some time on my host site but will change when the time is right.  Right now I need to update my page with a ton of info and I have the other webpage www.barebonesoutdoors that I need to work on so please take you time and get to feeling better nothing worse than a spring time cold.
  Again thank you so much for all your help.
Thanks and God Bless
Jim

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 11:59:39 AM »
I take sinus pills on a regular basis and thought this was just sinus. But nope...I am plain old sick.
 :sickinbed: :ill:
-Samantha