Author Topic: Xara Webstyle4 issues  (Read 19777 times)

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
Xara Webstyle4 issues
« on: February 14, 2007, 05:06:23 PM »
I've been using this product for some time. I've never had a single problem. On the last website I did if you are using Firefox the menu works perfectly. In IE versions 5.0 - 7.0 you cannot click a button and it work after you've clicked on it once, or, all of them work but the home page button. I've checked and rechecked the .js code for errors. Found nothing. Redid the buttons from scratch and still no workie. I widened the table, narrowed table padding and still no workie? Anyone else have this problem and do you know the fix?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Xara Webstyle4 issues
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 05:27:49 PM »
Would have to see to help diagnose.  Url?
I have used that product with success. Never had the issue you mention. Maybe you have another setting or code on the page that is interferring.

Try placing it into a page that has only the table, no other codes.
Or on a page that has no tables, no codes at all.

Same problem in IE?
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 06:46:11 PM »
It works if published alone. The only code I have running is a background image center code and an iframe.  :banghead:

www.bigslicksbarandgrill.com

Click the "pixeled" link on the menu and then click the first thumbnail and it will take you to the menu running with just a background image center code. That leaves the iframe. I narrowed the width to see if it was somehow squashing the table that the menu was in, and that didn't work. I know the site probably offends you so I appreciate the help knowing you're doing it when you probably normally wouldn't.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 08:50:55 PM »
Why would a bar site offend me?   ???  Love motorcycles and the folks that ride them!
(Brother repairs them, Grandfather sold Indian Motorcyles...had an indian chief w/sidecar, and uncle is a multi-bike owner...)  As long as you are not sending me to a site that is flashing boobs (I have my own pair and don't need to look at others), I'm fine with it. ;)

First thing I notice from your BLANK page is that your script calls for 2 js files but only one is loaded.
<script src="HTMLobj-238/xaramenu.js"></script><script Webstyle4 src="HTMLobj-238/slick_loot.js"></script>
Page not found on this file: HTMLobj-238/xaramenu.js but the other one IS there.

Same thing on the home page.
<script src="HTMLobj-103/xaramenu.js"></script><script Webstyle4 src="HTMLobj-103/slick_loot.js"></script>
Page not found on this file:  HTMLobj-103/xaramenu.js but the other one IS there.
Gotta have both files and your code needs to point to where those files are.

Thought you uploaded but didn't have matching file names (CapITals) making the file and code not match. But confirmed the js files are NOT on your server where your code says it should be...Take a look at this: h**p://www.bigslicksbarandgrill.com/TlxTransfer.txt

NOW, as important as a missing file...Why are you inserting the code multiple times? 
If you have to change the menu, you would have to reinsert it onto every page again. :yuck:
Why not create your menu. Don't put the js into the webcomponent.  Don't use ^GEMDIR/ in the code before the file name.  Upload the js and image files with an FTP program, placing it into the directory where your menu will be used, then insert plain code like this into each page:
<script src="xaramenu.js"></script><script Webstyle4 src="slick_loot.js"></script>
Then when you update, you just change out the js or image files ONCE and all pages using those files are updated as long as the file names stay the same! :kickdancing:

If you WANT to use CSB to upload the js and image files with webcomponent, you could put the menu into ONE page. then on all the other pages, you call that same menu again.  Open the view source of the ONE published page and copy the code from that page to all others. 
Ex: On your home page your view source says:
<script src="HTMLobj-103/xaramenu.js"></script><script Webstyle4 src="HTMLobj-103/slick_loot.js"></script>
So you could copy/paste THAT code into all other pages to get the SAME menu!  Then you would only have to update only ONE set of files within CSB and all other pages load that same change.  *** DO NOT DELETE the placeholder on that page and start over.  It will change the HTMLobj-103/ to another number and the other pages will still be looking for the original number.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 10:43:08 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
Re: OEM image software
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 09:15:06 PM »
If you have to change the menu, you would have to reinsert it onto every page again. Blech!
Why not create your menu. Don't put the js into the webcomponent.  Don't use ^GEMDIR/ in the code before the file name.  Upload the js and image files with an FTP program, placing it into the directory where your menu will be used, then insert plain code like this into each page:

The .js file is only on one page. The entire site is an iframe that opens to that one page. Ironically I have probably a dozen sites and all of them have the .js and html file in a container. I wonder if this is because of the CSB 5 I'm using now? Same design progression as always. Just different results. I'll figure out what your post means and get to it. I normally (actually never) use ftp so, it'll be an adventure.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 10:25:58 PM »
If you have only one page with a menu and all links open in iframe, then place images, js and script into Insert HTML box as normal.

If you have several pages using the same menu, then better off NOT inserting images and js into Insert HTML and use FTP instead. FTP is EASY!  CoreFTP LITE is free and simple to use...no spy or scumware.

CURRENT ISSUE
As I said, your one js file is missing.  Add it to insert HTML webcomponents and your menu should work.

(For someone who hated dealing with iframes, you sure do use a lot of them!   LOL)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 10:42:38 PM »
I guess it's become "my look?" Clients that don't have a lot of content really dig them. For clients with tons of content they are terrible. So, I'm about 50/50.

I'll try it with the insert html and see how it goes. I thought a container was pretty much the same thing? Amazing how it's always something little. I'll let you know if it works.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 10:47:03 PM »
You can use a container. Fine.  But you still need BOTH js files included in Insert HTML or container!
Your code calls for both.  You have only one on the site.

xaramenu.js has not been uploaded to your site.
slick_loot.js has been uploaded to your site.

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 11:10:41 PM »
These are the files created by xara

slick_loot.js
Slick_Loot.html

Both files are included in my insert html container.

The code used in the insert html for a xara menu
<script src="^GEMDIR/xaramenu.js"></script><script Webstyle4 src="^GEMDIR/slick_loot.js"></script>
is the same code I've used on every menu I've ever done. I went back and checked, none of them had a xaramenu.js file. The have a .js and a .html file named from the last button on each menu. That's why I'm so confused.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 09:42:07 AM »
You are inserting code that is telling the browser to look for 2 js files. Yet you are only including one.   It's possible that not all your menus required both js to work but you just posted the same code over and over.

This is a quick silly trash pages I made to test the program before buying it.  Nothing on them...just the menu.    h**p://www.samisite.com/trash/products.htm 
And YES it took 2 js files:
h**p://www.samisite.com/trash/triallinks1.js
h**p://www.samisite.com/trash/xaramenu.js

I am drafting a real site for another company with dropdown 2nd level. Since it is still under password protection, I can't  send you to it to see but I did use XARA WEBSTYLE for it and YES two js scripts were created by XARA's program.  For the menu to work, both files need to be on the website. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 09:58:23 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 12:27:05 PM »
So, I'm just using too much script? I need to take thi:
<script src="^GEMDIR/xaramenu.js"></script><script Webstyle4 src="^GEMDIR/slick_loot.js"></script>

..and cut it down to this?
<script Webstyle4 src="^GEMDIR/slick_loot.js"></script>

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 03:59:59 PM »
So, I'm just using too much script? I need to take thi:

..and cut it down to this?
<script Webstyle4 src="^GEMDIR/slick_loot.js"></script>

Nope.. that didn't do it.

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 05:38:12 PM »
It just doesn't make any sense. I went through every folder via ftp and found nothing that said Page HTMLobj-103/xaramenu.js. I deleted the entire menu and reloaded it and the same darn thing happens. Why would only one button not work? I deleted everything again and went back to Webstyle4 and created the menu from scratch. Put all the files created by Webstyle4 into an insert html container, republished and the one button still doesn't work. Deleted all that and uploaded the webstyle4 files straight into the html folder via ftp, and it still does the same thing. The top button doesn't work. I've built this site exactly as I've built every other site I've ever done since I got xara menu maker and then later webstyle4. I went back and checked all my other sites and they use the exact two files and code as this one. They all work and have worked for months (and years). This is just annoying me to fits of hysteria.  :banghead:

Every site has one html file that is caps such as New_Menu.html and one js file that is lower caps that says new_menu.js. (Plus all the image files). I'm just not getting it?  :'(

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 06:00:13 PM »
here's the screen shots if that helps?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 07:18:02 PM »
I just went into my webstyle 4 tonight. 

Made 2 new menus.

#1 single layer of buttons (only what you see, do not expand on rollover)
This menu created/saved ONE js script because I had only ONE level.. And this is the contents of the index page created by Xara:
Code: [Select]
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title>Webstyle produced NavBar</title>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#000000" text="BLACK">
<script Webstyle4 src="csb_tutorial_samplea.js"></script>
</body></html>

This menu code inserted into a web page would be this if you FTP files to the site:
<script Webstyle4 src="csb_tutorial_samplea.js"></script>
This menu code inserted into a CSB web page with INSERT HTML would be this:
<script Webstyle4 src="^GEMDIR/csb_tutorial_samplea.js"></script>

#2 Main layer of buttons that you see that EXPAND (drop down) to other choices like the sample I sent you to before
This menu I created/saved TWO js scripts because I had 2 levels.. And this is the contents of the index page created by Xara:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title>Webstyle produced NavBar</title>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="BLACK" background="Background83.jpg">
<script src="xaramenu.js"></script><script Webstyle4 src="triallinks2.js"></script>
</body></html>

This menu code inserted into a web page would be this if you FTP files to the site:
<script src="xaramenu.js"><script Webstyle4 src="csb_tutorial_sampleb.js"></script>
This menu code inserted into a CSB web page with INSERT HTML would be this:
<script src="^gemdir/xaramenu.js"><script Webstyle4 src="^GEMDIR/csb_tutorial_sampleb.js"></script>

Look at this shot.  The main menu has HOME, PHOTOS, PRODUCTS, LINKS, DONT CLICK
The second level shows 2005 NO VACATION
If you are only using a TOP LEVEL (main buttons) you will only have ONE js file.
If you are using more than one level, you will have TWO js files.
Your code for your pages should MATCH the type of menu created.

SOOOO....
The question I ask you... Do you have a 2nd level menu on that page? If so YOU NEED THAT SECOND js script! Save the PROJECT. Then look at that folder and you will see htm files, images, js files, etc.  Grab the code you need directly from Xara's web page (right click on the htm file and open with NOTEPAD to access it).

« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 07:27:59 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 07:33:49 PM »
Naw, I hardly ever do expanded menus on a side bar menu. Plus, If I did an expanded, xara would create the necessary files. The irony here is that no matter which way we go, the darn top button doesn't work. I'm gonna paste in your single level code and see what happens since it's different than mine. Funny how code can just stop working?

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 07:40:13 PM »
Actually your code was identical. I'm republishing the site anyway. We'll see what that does? I've done this dozens of times. never had a single problem that even remotely resembled this. I'm so frustrated I'm about to yank the entire menu and go with html buttons. The only reason i don't is because I'll have to figure this out again on the next one.

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 07:50:58 PM »
No workie. Now I'll try the ftp code and upload.

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 08:00:09 PM »
That didn't work either. I appreciate the help but the first button just doesn't work no matter what we do? I have no idea where to go from here.

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 08:39:03 PM »
I fixed it (after 3 days) and you're NOT going to believe what it was. I'm such an idiot.  :v8slap:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 09:22:48 PM »
You did not put a link address into the code box in Webstyle 4?
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 11:00:14 PM »
No.. even dumber. You might want to remember this for your iframe tutorial. If you have the home page opening in the iframe your home button on the menu has to link to another page that is identical but a different .htm. In other words, if your iframe is opening home.htm your home button has to open another page (that's identical in design) which in my case would be home2.htm.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2007, 12:12:48 AM »
Why would you have the HOME page opening in the iframe?
The index.htm (home page) would contain the menu.  The iframe would be on that page and would start by pointing to the home page content (home.htm) or (start.htm).
Then all the menu choices would load into the iframe.

If one of the content pages needs to reload the original starting page, they should link to index.htm, which will reload the iframe again and start everything over.

I have a sample already (using images and links). 
On that page, content 1 start here  reloads the index page again. No reason to have an identical page.

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2007, 01:47:43 AM »
The home.htm page preloads into the iframe when you go to the site. You cannot get a xara button to open that same page in the same iframe. To get around it, it took a clone page with a different .htm tag. We tried it about everyway possible. None of the .js scripts were the answer. ftp over csb publishing wasn't the answer. Code wasn't the answer. A simple clone page was the answer. It might be different if you were loading different content to the home page content in the iframe but, if you're opening the home content on que with an iframe preload that page is only going to work as an initial preload to the iframe when the site opens. Other than that... you need another page not being pulled by code so the button can open it in the iframe.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2007, 09:21:23 AM »
I hear a challenge....

The home.htm page preloads into the iframe when you go to the site. You cannot get a xara button to open that same page in the same iframe.

>:D  When I get home.... >:D >:D >:D

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2007, 10:35:51 AM »
I hear a challenge....

The home.htm page preloads into the iframe when you go to the site. You cannot get a xara button to open that same page in the same iframe.

>:D  When I get home.... >:D >:D >:D

Well.. for normal people.  :surrender:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 12:57:27 PM »
are you calling me abnormal?  :ss-shocked:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2007, 02:05:13 PM »
Abbie Normal is the brain of choice.

(Young Frankenstein - abbie Normal Brain)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 02:21:22 PM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2007, 02:08:25 PM »
Kill that image after you see it. I don't want to suck up somebody's bandwidth and I was too lazy to publish it for a yee ha.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2007, 02:20:44 PM »
I KNEW you were referring to that!!!  rofl
I ALMOST posted the same thing!   :yes:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2007, 05:33:14 PM »
Hey thats my login name on another forum  rofl
-turtle

treasure your pets   :turtleblink:

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2007, 11:41:55 AM »
Backing up a bit to the home page in an iframe question. -- Interesting -- In working with my faux databases, I've discovered the same thing with CSB container pages. If I want to have the index page of a subdirectory open in a container page, I have to designate the container page content as the folder, using the trailing / at the end of the subdirectory URL but nothing more. If I enter it as a page, using the .htm ending, I get a 404 message.

There's probably a way to make that work, but in my usual fashion I've just found a way around it. The first time it happened, I went ahead and entered the folder as the content (there are no links on any of the content pages, so if you go to the folder all you see is the index page and no way to go anywhere else). Since then, I've just left the index pages empty and started the content pages on the second page of the subdirectory.

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
That's my scam. It's not that hard to copy the content of the home page you have opening in the iframe and designate it as the content that opens from the home menu button.

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2007, 08:36:37 AM »
LP - No SEO problems with putting almost all of your text into iframes? Or don't your clients depend on search engines?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2007, 01:10:49 PM »
I have never used a CONTAINER page for iframes.
Why are you not just using a regular page to hold the iframe?
Then it would not require a second home/start page.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2007, 06:31:47 PM »

I've never used a container page in my life. I don't even know what they're for?

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2007, 06:35:31 PM »
LP - No SEO problems with putting almost all of your text into iframes? Or don't your clients depend on search engines?

Well, some clients aren't dependent on arbitrary searches. For those who are, I've kinda invented a way around it I call looping. You can also use redirect scripts or a main page link on the text pages that open in an iframe that takes them back to the Home interface if they happen to end up there after a search.

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2007, 02:46:23 PM »
Samantha - I believe LP uses iframes without container pages. I use container pages without iframes. I think the two methods do about the same thing (assuming you want an iframe to show an entire page), but since container pages are built into CSB they're much easier for me to use.

I don't think search engines "see" the text in either option, but since I'm not putting anything with text into my container pages, that's not an issue for me. I am trying to figure out the best place to put the alt code for the single image that's in each container page.

Wanna see container pages in action? Both of these container pages are calling up the same URL for their page content. But because they're different pages, I can set the layout differently for different needs.

This is a "regular" page, that's reached from the tile's color category:
http://www.afewwordsabout.us/bluegreen/id764.htm

This is in the "techniques" section. I'm still working on this section, so don't have all the glitches out, but this shows a layout where I've made the left border of the container page visible:
http://www.afewwordsabout.us/techniques/id57.htm

« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 06:05:36 PM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2007, 03:24:59 PM »
Awww - my limit timed out, so I can't even take off the note telling people to come back in a minute. Adding the other example would now make a post completely off topic, so I'll resist until I'm ready to post a link to the results in a different part of the forum.