Author Topic: Please introduce yourself!  (Read 123212 times)

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
  • Just 'aving a look
    • Genealogical Branchlines
Re: Please introduce yourself!
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2007, 05:07:27 AM »
Hello everyone,  I’m Dennis, aka OldTimer.  I expect there are folks older than me around here somewhere, but I’ve used OldTimer for quite a few years now, mainly as a moderator of a games forum.

I’ve been wondering:  “Why on earth has CSB been discontinued?”  Its the only pensioner friendly web-builder that I know about.  I’m only glad that I’m able to continue using my copy of CSB4 and like others, I was too late and too busy to upgrade to CSB5.

Could it be for a lack of sales because of a lack of advertising?  Here in the UK, I’ve never seen an advert for CSB, and definitely not Globalscape.  I came across the Globalscape website purely by accident whilst looking for something else on the web.  So when I did find it, I downloaded CSB4 as a trial and was so impressed, I bought a licence.  This was about five years ago.  I had been on a course for another web building program but just couldn’t get on with it – html Ahhhh!  If only we had computers in our schools during the early 1940s, things would be very different!  But CSB4, well it’s as easy as a DTP program.  Not that I know any of the finer points, but it’s the best one for my Genealogical websites.

What do I do with myself in retirement?  Well, being a wheelchair user, and virtually housebound at present, I spend much of my time transcribing old documents and Church Registers.  The latest is the 1653-1708 register for the parish of Kilmersdon, Somerset, much of which is too feint to even see.

Happy to be with you all. :clapping: :clapping:
OldTimer Still playing trains in my retirement. :hapscream:
www.genealogicalbranchlines.com
www.kilmersdon-radstock.org.uk

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2007, 09:13:22 AM »
Been hoping you would come aboard!   :welsign:

Web.com (who actually owns the rights to the Trellix/CSB program) would not allow GlobalSCAPE to continue to develop or license the product. GlobalSCAPE put quite an effort into producting the CSB5 version, really adding some fine features but Web.com did not want to continue the CSB line. Period. I am SURE GlobalSCAPE lost big $$ on the development of CSB5 since they only had one month to sell the final product!  CSB had no advertising/marketing that I saw either.  Basically Trellix had the NAME value and advertising, and the momentum was allowed to stall under GlobalSCAPE's name CSB. We do not know WHY Web.com pulled the program back unless it was because of the confusion between the ONLINE Trellix  program and the precourser to CSB, Trellix Web. They are very different programs but both owned by web.com.

Ah well.  We are looking at several products as replacements for CSB. Eventually we will need to replace it no matter how comfortable it is to use.  I use many programs but still like CSB best. It is fastest and easiest for me.  Stick around, we may find a program that hits home like CSB does!

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 09:22:21 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2007, 09:22:09 AM »
:welsign: Dennis.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
    • The Slagles
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2007, 10:27:43 AM »
Welcome Aboard!

Jim

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
I am so glad I found your site.  I have been using CSB for a few years now and still run across some issues that I need help with.
Greetings to all....visit my site at: http://treelinestudio.com  hope you like my work.
David Brougham

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2007, 02:59:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum!!!  :welsign:

Glad to have you aboard.  We are glad you found us too!!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
    • The Slagles
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2007, 05:37:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Jim

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2007, 05:18:37 PM »
 :welsign: David.

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2007, 08:08:10 PM »
 :welsign: :hapscream:
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• ???
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2007, 11:03:39 AM »
Hello everyone I am Claudio. I am new here and I am new when it comes to building a website and of course with many questions most of you have know the answers for several years but hey we all star somewhere, correct?  :)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2007, 01:14:38 PM »
 :welsign: 
Welcome to our little community. You are right.  We all started out the same way!.  And unlike some, on this forum we welcome newbies because we remember how it felt to be one! When I was a newbie, I would read other people's posts to get ideas of what to do, what NOT to do. Sometimes you find something that just hits the spot, that you had not thought of before til someone else brought it up.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2007, 04:15:03 AM »
Welcome Claudio!  :)

Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2007, 02:07:39 AM »
 :welsign: It doesn't matter how much you know - there will always still be something you don't know about building web sites. The learning never ends. This is a great place to learn.  :yes:

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
  • Just 'aving a look
    • Genealogical Branchlines
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2007, 02:53:56 AM »
:welsign: Claudio!

The only piece of advise I can give to you, is to stop and think what sort of content you want in the pages of your proposed site.  Remember, there is no “fit all” layout.  Once you have decided this, then you need to work out how to achieve it.  In my case, most pages contain tables.  And even tables within tables. :)
Don't forget, you can always call  :help:
OldTimer Still playing trains in my retirement. :hapscream:
www.genealogicalbranchlines.com
www.kilmersdon-radstock.org.uk

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
    • The Slagles
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2007, 09:03:45 AM »
WELCOME CLAUDIO!

Jim

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2007, 01:02:14 PM »
Hi everybody  :) Ciao !! my name is Tony (Antonio), from Italy. I'm another CSB fan since 2002. I started using it just for the need of building up my website. I learned (sure:noshake:) how to use it just on the way and this site (Sam's site) has been my point of reference for all my doubts. May be Sami remembers me.. Hi Sami, congratulations for all the improvements that I find every time that I visit your page. Keep doing your wonderful job.

Sorry for my English, but as a matter of fact, it is not Italian my mother language, but Spanish  :D

Now I will leave you, I have something to search in this forum/site…  ;)
I hope I can find what I’m looking for....

Regards

T
 :)

P.S.
Sorry if my avatar does not work. On my profile I'm writing:
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t20/Toni41_fotos/Avatar.jpg
It works if you paste it on your browser...

Error message says that it is too long or is not an avatar... :-\
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 01:25:57 PM by Tony41 »
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2007, 03:31:19 PM »
Very nice to have you here, among friends.

Thank you for the kind words about this site. 
There are many things I want to do to SamiSite but have not had time to do them. 
I expect to do more in 2008!

I have something to search in this forum/site
I hope I can find what I’m looking for....
If you can't find it, post on the forum and we will point the way!

Your avatar was not showing because it was a little too big for my settings.  Your image is 100x107pixels and I was allowing images up to 100x100 so your image was refused.  I changed the forum settings to allow 110x110 and now your avatar shows fine! :yes:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2007, 04:52:21 PM »
Ciao Antonio  :welsign: :D

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
    • The Slagles
« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2007, 08:08:37 PM »
Welcome Aboard!

Jim

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2007, 12:36:54 AM »
Hi All,,,,I'm Terry form Durban in South Africa and I have also been using Cute and Trellix before that for a number of years. Just upgraded my computer to XP and lost my CSB software but with Sami & your help hope to get it back
Regards
Terry

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2007, 12:47:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum Terry!  Glad to have you as a new family member!
And congrats on your upgrade. :boogie:
That's always exciting!

GlobalSCAPE has the CSB program files that can be downloaded from the support page but they only work for 30 days so you will need to unlock it with your serial number as I discussed with you. 
Please post in the CSB section of the forum to let us know how it goes!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2007, 03:55:44 AM »
Thank you all friends for your welcome  :D

And thank you Sami, very kind… as always. The fact of changing your settings to allow that my avatar is seen, is not found in other forums every day... Sorry for not reading your settings about the avatar’s maximum size… the phrase “too long” on the error message  made me think about the file name instead of the image size:(

Terry, how come I still doing fine with my CSB after upgrading to XP? (CSB 4) :unsure:

Bye

T
 :)

P.S.
Sami, I also live in a place surrounding of woods like in your avatar… :yes:
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2007, 02:23:44 PM »
Antonio, that photo was taken in Germany, behind the house where I grew up.
LOVED those woods. Your home must be lovely to have such woods around it.
Changing the avatar size was a simple solution.  I like easy solutions!!! :D

Terry lost herhis CSB installation file, but still has all herhis design files.  When shehe installs CSB on the new machine everything should be fine for herhim.

(corrected pronouns ;))
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 11:44:38 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2007, 07:03:01 AM »
Hi All,,,,, first of all this Terry is a 'he' not a 'she'.
I have downloaded the replacement CSB software and got the seriel number from them so I am back up and running at full strength. Thank you for the help, I thought I was lost!
Regards
Terry

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2007, 07:31:49 AM »
Hi All,,,,, first of all this Terry is a 'he' not a 'she'.

Terry

Sorry  :-[

Sometimes nicks make you do this kind of mistakes...

Here in Italy I'm "Toni" (Antonio) and not "Tony", but I know that if I use the Italian way my gender could be confused in most American forums... :D

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2007, 11:43:27 AM »
WONDERFUL NEWS TERRY!  Glad to hear you are back up and running!!!
I apologize.  :-[
I usually try to use NAME instead of pronoun for that reason until I am sure of gender.  Flubbed this time!

And Tony, you are right.  Toni would have been seen as the female version of the name.  :D
Ah well. I go through it too. My co-workers call me SAM, mail is sent to SAM.  Having nicknames SAM and SAMI and a middle name that also sounds like a male name, I am often expected to be male by people that do not know me.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2007, 04:28:01 AM »
Bienvenuto Tony!

Welkom Terry!

Offline hidden

• ???
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2008, 09:53:05 PM »
I'm new to web design, CSB, bulletin boards... a rookie.

Already during this first experience in building a web site, postings on this site and at globalscape have been invaluble in getting me past some real obstacles!  I am so appreciative of what is shared here.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2008, 10:08:04 PM »
So glad you have become a part of our community! Always glad to see new folks come into the webmaster world :kickdancing:  CSB users are a friendly bunch and ready to help you on your way so don't suffer in silence if you get stuck on something.  Let us know and we'll point you in the right direction.  Or drop in on one of the silly games we have going when you have time.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• ???
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2008, 01:23:49 AM »
I am  one of those from the Trellix days that has came up through the CSB versions. I runs several sites for different military organizations, from the past and for some that are currently in Iraq.

Still looking for a CSB replacement, have tried several but still not satisfied with any of them..grrrr.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2008, 07:26:14 AM »
welcome to the forum!!!  :welsign:

I am in the same situation as you...tried many but so far none fit like CSB does.   Will continue to try them on...
Would love to see your comments on any of the programs we are profiling or if you find something else of interest let us know!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
    • Rockn' V Southestern Ranch
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2008, 03:27:20 PM »
Howdy,

I just joined up here. I have read some of Samrc's posts on TCH 's forum and decided to see what her site was like. I found the link to this forum and ventured right over here. I have to say, it's a very interestin' and informative forum! I feel like a real dummy after readin' the info that all you experts have posted on here. I hope you guys can shed some light my way as I have a few websites that I want to move to TCH. I do believe I can learn alot from this forum. Thanks so much!!
Happy Trails Forever,
~Buffalo Gal~

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2008, 04:18:13 PM »
 :welsign: from me too.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2008, 05:08:24 PM »
WELCOME :welsign:

The moderators and experts on this forum come from the GlobalSCAPE CSB forum, some from earlier Trellix forums.  We still post over at the other forum.  They only promised to keep that one open till June 2007, so we were making sure that we would still have a place to assist folks if they did take the other one down.

We have long-term users and beginners here, even long-term users with beginner skills.  :D  That's fine.  We invite everyone to come on in, post a question, answer a question, play a game or just gab.  We are a friendly bunch that likes to meet new folks. 

Unlike a lot of help forums, we don't give snide responses.  We genuinely like to assist and do not assume that you know how to do something.  That means sometimes our explanations can be long-winded.  We apologize in advance (especially me!!!).  :-[
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2008, 09:52:40 PM »
Wow how have I missed the entrance of the new people to wave to ???

Aloha Tony
Aloha  Ron
Aloha  Gal!

:welsign: :welsign: :schip:
Tara says  :welsign: too

I look forward to getting to know all of you better... :-)

Sorry about the delay... sometimes if I don't read something it still takes it off my list of non read posts since last visit ...

Well, I hope you like it here as much as we do.

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #135 on: March 16, 2008, 01:31:23 PM »
Hi

Its Andy from CSB forum. I see some of our friends are now here!

I am looking to find repalcemtns for CSB 5 at some time, not sure which one sitesp[ionner, webbuilder 5, ez genertor but I want one that has flexible feedback forms(requests, order, questins, etc style).

On another note, I noticed Bravenet has free feedback forms - thinking of using that when CSB5 cuts the plug in July 2008.

Any thoughts??????

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #136 on: March 16, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »
 :welsign:   Glad to have you sign on!  Lots of us from the old Trellix/GlobalSCAPE CSB forum are here. 
Good place to report on and read other people's experience with software being tested.  Lots of choices for forms, good and bad.  Will have a new section on samisite to address forms.  Just haven't been able to get back to it!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2008, 07:48:05 PM »
Aloha Andy! :-)  :welsign:

just a quick note here about Bravenets forms.. beware of Bravenet in general. They have a lot of spyware cookies they place on their freebie stuff and I have caught them doing a lot of things that aren't so nice so I quit using their free services in all but a couple of cases where they are providing long established archival items like in an old guest book.

Offline hidden

« Reply #138 on: March 22, 2008, 07:04:36 AM »
Hello,
I'm glad I found this forum and this website. I'm trying to learn more html particularly to solve problems I'm having with building a website on Google with Page Creator. Anyway, I'm glad to be here and I guess I'll post my questions in another thread that deals with those things.
Thanks,
Bob

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #139 on: March 22, 2008, 09:25:11 AM »
HELLO!!!!   Lovely to have you come aboard.  We'll try to assist and if we don't know the answers to your questions, we'll tell you that. And we may be able to point you to a resource that will.

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
    • Rockn' V Southestern Ranch
« Reply #140 on: March 22, 2008, 03:26:17 PM »
 Howdy Andy! :welsign:  Howdy Bob! :welsign:
Happy Trails Forever,
~Buffalo Gal~

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2008, 06:00:28 PM »
Aloha RK-STUDIO

Welcome aboard!...  :surfsup:

(a board get it?? hehehe) Besides helping each other we like to have fun here too.   :D

Offline hidden

• ???
« Reply #142 on: May 28, 2008, 08:40:25 PM »
Greetings.
I am an artist and author -
I have two websites I've cobbled together over the years using CSB, updating them fairly often.
Take a look, please --
www.allthesaints.com and
www.jmichaelwalker.com

I'm pretty happy with CSB - as I gather, most of you are as well -
but I notice one mystifying problem:
While I appear pretty high, consistently, on the major search engines
(for, say, j michael walker),
my images, strangley, do not.
In fact I can find far more occurrences of my art on the sites of periodicals that have written about me!
hmm.
I have included image descriptions for my images,
but this does not seem to help.
what have I missed here?

Thanks for any feedback.
Best, jmichael

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2008, 04:01:20 PM »
WELCOME to the forum!!!

Glad to have you aboard.

This thread is for just intros so I won't address your image concerns here other than to say you should check out the links I provided over at the GlobalSCAPE forum.  You can start a new thread on this forum too if you choose.  We answer on both forums.  The difference is that on this forum we are not limited to GlobalSCAPE software.  We can discuss other software too. 

- Image names in CSB
And the BEST way to get seen on the web is get your site listed on the search engines.

Please read this page for some basic SEO advice that will help your rankings. 
What you need most is
1) incoming links from good websites on the same topics and 2) CONTENT! Text, descriptions, on-topic.
CSB sites CAN place very well on Google and Yahoo and other search engines IF you build your pages for HUMANS and SEARCH ENGINE SPIDERS, and have GOOD on-topic incoming links!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2008, 07:13:27 PM »
ALOHA & WELCOME :)

:surfsup:
 :schip:

Offline hidden

• Restricted
  • Made it from scissors & paste to digital.......
    • Windowsill Orchids
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2008, 04:50:34 AM »
 :) Hi. I found your pages while surfing for code snippets. I notice you mostly are about software that I don't use, (I'm an HTML-writer with occasional delusions of CSS )  :D but when I saw the link-up with quilting, etc, I just had to see what is going on.

Looks like some good, fun people here.  :boogie:

Here is my current project: http://teapotdee.com/orchids
Wherever you go, there you are.....

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2008, 10:58:13 AM »
We are a fun group and always glad to see a new face.

WELCOME!!!   :flowers: :welsign: :flowers:

I need to make a new smilie for the forum....I need to make a QUILLOW smiliey (for non-quilters, that's a quilt that folds down into a pillow shape). HMMMM.....I like that idea...

We all have different backgrounds, different skills, use different software but all have the WEB as our commonality.  We all have websites.  Might use different software, different ways to build/display sites, but we all help each other with advice, links, resources, ideas. 

Most of us have more than one creative outlet.  Gardening, quilting, painting, photos, graphics, web design are just a few.  I find that Quilting brings together all the fun crafts into one media.  Do you quilt?  Samisite.com has a basic page with several very decent links for quilting resources. I want to expand it when I have the time. The forum is a great place to get/share ideas.   We gab about anything that crosses our minds, web related or not.  We even have a couple silly word games going. 

You have a lovely site.  Orchids are such graceful flowers! 

If you are looking for specific code snippets, post a new thread in this area of the forum 
http://samisite.com/forum/index.php?board=43.0   And we will see if we can give it to you or point you in the right direction! 

Welcome aboard!!!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2008, 06:48:59 PM »
Hi and :welsign:

Ah don't know nothin bout quilting & orchids(cool site), but the folks here are the best.

Offline hidden

• Restricted
  • Made it from scissors & paste to digital.......
    • Windowsill Orchids
« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2008, 10:55:37 AM »
TY for the nice welcome.  :)
Yes, sami, I do quilt, but probably not at all what you would do. You know that "worst quilt" you posted, that looks fine from one angle, but is all bunched out like a giant volcano from another? That's more my style! *LOL* because I just keep scraps to hand-stitch while watching tv, waiting for bus, etc. I took it up after crochet & knitting became issues with "carpal tunnel" and I find that the hand-needle work is much gentler on the fingers & wrists. And occasionally I just rip through a lot of strip-quilting with the machine, that can be fun!

I'll be back later with some questions about one of your link effects.

Ed, if you or anyone wants to know about orchids, just check out the "mother of all link farms" I am developing under the cover of those menu-drops in the left-hand column,  >:D  I'll be posting notes next to the links soon to indicate which ones have the best beginner info. And the forums are all very good, of course.

Wherever you go, there you are.....

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #149 on: July 30, 2008, 04:45:35 AM »
a belated but sincere welcome ...  :D