Author Topic: Any helpful tips for publishing to Godaddy?  (Read 3266 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
Any helpful tips for publishing to Godaddy?
« on: December 10, 2007, 03:31:18 PM »
My eyes cross everytime I look at the Godaddy site for help and I'm poor at following verbal instructions over the phone so I seem to be stuck. I purchased a shared hosting account with Godaddy awhile back. I've got my primary account published and the domain is functioning. But I seem to be stalled with regard to publishing other content for secondary domains on this hosted account. If I understand correctly, I publish the other domains as subdirectories to the hosting and then somehow set the domain path for the other domain names? I've been all over the Godaddy site and the closest helpful hint I could find only reassured that I could indeed publish more than one site to my hosting. If anyone cares to take a shot at this you'd be my hero. thanks

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Any helpful tips for publishing to Godaddy?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 06:27:17 PM »
I seem to be stalled with regard to publishing other content for secondary domains on this hosted account.

I don't have a GoDaddy account so can not speak directly to them...
Wanda does and maybe she can give you direct info.

A subdirectory and subdomain are not the same. Similar but not the same.

A subdomain is also known as a "third-level" domain, and is a great way to create memorable web  addresses for various areas of your site. Example:
http:// subdomain . domain . com
subdomain=3rd level, domain=2nd level, com=1st level

Technically, a subdomain is a subdirectory inside your main website- you would create and publish the same way!
The visitors could reach the area using either method:
   Preferred: http://catalog.assortedstuff.com or
   Like a subdirectory: http://assortedstuff.com/catalog

But a subdirectory is not treated the same as a subdomain. It can only be reached by this method. http://assortedstuff.com/catalog.

To make your subdirectory a subdomain, you must identify it in your control panel, or with tech support help. Creating a subdirectory does NOT automatically create a subdomain.  My forum is in a subdomain (can be reached by forum.... or /forum  but took an extra step to define the subdomain! All other subdirectories on samisite are just subdirectories not subdomains.

General speaking, if you want to use multiple DOMAIN names to point to different areas of your storage area with most hosts, including TCH, you have to use a reseller account. You can not have a DOMAIN name point to a subdomain or subdirectory. Example: If you build a site for bakery.com and you want to store it in your area, it must be a reseller account so you can point the domain name bakery.com to your storage area and still host your assorteddtuff.com, etc.

Most hosts will allow you to PARK your second domain onto the main directory only.
Ex: if you want to have a furniture.com domain as your master, then a lamps.com to point to subdomain lamps.furniture.com, that is not allowed.  You could park lamps.com to point to the same directory as furniture.com.

Check with GoDaddy support to find out if domains can be parked/pointed to subdomains or not.  It may be a function of the TYPE of account you have or available/blocked for all accounts.  Each host is different.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 07:09:16 AM »
I love Go Daddys price but I hate working on the site. For all but the most simple publishing they are a PAIN.  I haven't tried to do what you ask about but your own answer sounds right. I have found that calling their tech support is fairly painless and usually they will direct you to where the answer is published online and then go over it with you on the phone if you ask specific questions about it. I'd give that a shot maybe it would help even if normally you don't do well with phone tech and usually the wait isn't that bad.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
    • The Slagles
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 12:24:48 PM »
GoDaddys subscriber interface isn't very friendly.

Here's what I found in their FAQs.  I only have basic accounts so I can't try this.  I would assume that after you set up the additional domains within the existing account there is a place where you can attach them to the proper subdirectory.  It's not a big deal to do, just an entry in their dns tables, just no telling what hoops their management program will put you through.

Jim

It is possible to host multiple domains from a single hosting account. Deluxe and Premium plans can point multiple domains to any content subdirectory.

For example, if you add the domain name "anotherexample.com" to a Deluxe or Premium plan hosting "example.com,", you can point "anotherexample.com" to the content directory "/another" off the hosting account root. Visitors browsing to "anotherexample.com" will arrive at "example.com/another."
To Add Multiple Domains

1. Log in to your Account Manager.
   2. In the My Products section, select Hosting Account List.
   3. Next to the hosting account you want to modify, click Open.
   4. In the Settings section of the Hosting Control Center, click the Domain Management icon.
   5. From the Domain drop-down list, select a domain in your shopper account or type a domain name that does not exist in your account.
   6. From the Domain Hosting Path drop-down list, select an existing content directory or type a new content directory that does not appear in the list.

NOTE: This step only applies to Deluxe and Premium hosting plans.
   7. Click Add Domain.

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 02:46:32 PM »

You are all my heros Thanks

My error was to use the entire domain name when creating the path in the Godaddy panel. When I should have used only the subdirectory name. Success and again thanks ,cause it was your suggestions that got me to rethink this. Barry