Author Topic: Landing and walking on the moon  (Read 6831 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Landing and walking on the moon
« on: July 20, 2009, 08:54:01 PM »
History channel is running a repeat of the LIVE broadcast from July 1969, the landing on the moon, first footsteps on the moon by Neil Armstrong.   Amazing to watch!  I was young when it took place and living in Germany.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
Re: Landing and walking on the moon
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:23:17 AM »
I saw that moment through a glass in a TV shop. I was away from home that day in a nearby city, giving technical assistance to an accounting machine in a Bank office...  :yes:
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:20:51 AM »
There are a few moments of my life that will forever mark my brain... one was walking on the moon. The possibilities. Man on the Moon!   :hapscream:  The world (not just the USA) would never be the same again. If we could do that, we could do anything!

The other was the tearing down of the Berlin Wall.   :hapscream:  :'(   :hapscream:
I was SOO excited, I cried for hours that day.  :clapping: :hapscream: :clapping:
As a young teen, I visited Berlin when the first (original) wall was being replaced.  To get to/from Berlin, we rode a train that had to travel only at night, with all lights out. The train was flanked on both sides by east german guards with orders to shoot at any movement they could see. (This was to help prevent people from trying to escape East Germany and for the visitors to not be able to see the East German countryside) Of course we peeked out to see the guards/guns. Dangerous and so exciting, it was very stupid too. We could have been shot dead.  The original Berlin wall was made up of homes, churches, businesses with doorways and windows closed with bricks.  Streets and yards between buildings had make-shift brick or barricades.  Lives had been stopped overnight. You could see that immediate and destructive separation in the original wall surfaces.  We saw the new clean concrete wall going up in it's place. Looked like a prison wall, with barbed wire. We saw the mine fields and the guards with guns trained to shoot anyone trying to escape to the west side of the wall. Prison. People that had been free, living an ordinary life. They were doing ordinary things: going to work, eating meals. Suddenly they were divided from family, friends, home, work, because they were stuck on whichever side of the city they were in when the barricades were put up. I was just an American visiting the wall a few years after it was put up. I was not separated from my family. But the wall still impacted my life. Just 3 hours after we visited one viewing post along the wall, a man was shot and killed trying to escape.  I learned a valuable lesson about what CAN happen when a government does not allow freedoms.  I never thought I would see that horrible wall come down in my lifetime.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 09:33:19 AM »
I can understand your tears Sami...  :(

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

John Lennon
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 10:54:40 AM »
THAT WAS THE ANTHEM FOR MY GENERATION!   :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

(It's also the main theme of Star Trek series.  :D)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 11:06:33 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 06:27:57 PM »
Interesting and moving experience Sami, thanks for sharing it.
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 11:33:55 PM »
 :-[ 
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 02:30:33 AM »
I wasn't born yet when the neil armstrong first landed on the moon. thanks for sharing.

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 02:58:47 PM »
Wow Sammy - that would leave quite an impact. I wish more people realized just how precious freedom is and how many of our freedoms have eroded over the last two decades especially. I see them slipping daily. I have always been an activist but this past year I have really woken up and I don't like what I see.  :ss-shocked: If we think it can't happen here then we are wrong.  :'( And it is going to take almost every one of us to turn the direction we are heading in and have been heading in for many years around and to get our freedoms back isn't going to be easy. This year, we all worked to pay for government from Jan 1 - August 12! (Break Even Day) Can you imagine? To me that means our govt is way too big and costs way too much. I feel like a slave to it rather than it serves me. At any rate. I appreciate you sharing and I hope people will stop and think about freedom, what it is and what it really means. I hope our country will never get to that point but right now I feel it might if we don't get a grip and soon.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 06:03:42 PM »
Freedom means different things to different people and different countries.

Some countries have freedoms, but restrictions (register with the authorities when you move to town, etc like Germany has).  Some have an expectation of individual rights.  Unfortunately, the typical young american thinks of freedom is the right to drive a car and text on their phone at the same time! Imagine passing a law to curb someone's enjoyment!   :v8slap:  I am so tired of the ME...I COME FIRST...idea that GREED is best because it helps ME and so what happens to others...!  That attitude is so dominant these days.

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 06:19:36 PM »
Sami, in addition to what you said about ME...it seems these days nobody wants to take responsibility for anything they do or what happens to them. If they fall out of a tree and break an arm, they want to blame someone for not putting a fence around the tree!

Rick

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 11:00:06 PM »
I am agreeing with both of you. Everyone wants freedom but no responsibility and freedom can't exist with out personal responsibility. And control! So many people aren't happy unless they are controling what every body else can do. Young people really need better education on what it means to be free. I don't think many of them have any idea because as you say Sammy, they can't see beyond themselves.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 11:48:58 AM »
Everyone wants freedom but no responsibility and freedom can't exist with out personal responsibility.
it seems these days nobody wants to take responsibility for anything they do or what happens to them
:agree: :agree: :agree:

:offtopic: A few years ago I called for a Pizza Hut pizza and went to pick it up. Had the hot pie in my hand while reaching for the soda.  A 2-3 year old sweet-faced child got in front of me, under the box I was holding up.  Almost tripped over her.  Smiled at her and told her to "watch out baby" and stepped aside while moving the pizza to the side.  The next thing was so shocking it still stays with me.  The mother of the child YANKED the child away from me, almost pulling the arm out of the socket with the force. Then she came at me and got within 6 inches of my face. YELLED at me that I had no right to tell her child to "Watch Out!!" And what exactly did I mean by "Watch Out" anyway??  "Apologize for being rude to my daughter!!!" I told her that if I tripped over the child and dropped the hot pizza or the 2 liter bottle she could have been scalded or hit by the falling item. I would not apologize as I did and said nothing wrong. I was working my way to the door and exited with her and her friends hot on my trail. SHE perceived a slight (I still don't know why those words would have been a trigger) and left her child in Pizza Hut to come after me! Made it to my car and she followed then banged on my window telling me to get out.  Oh ya...that was going to happen!  SCARY!! The mother was not concerned for her child, was not even acknowledging that the child had been in danger.  ME ME ME ME ME....  

It's not just the kids.  It is the parents of the kids.  You can not correct (even verbally) someone else's kid without fear of reprisal (my kid did nothing wrong, law suits, etc). Parents do not teach there are consequences to actions.  The kids that broke into my home were KIDS, knowing that if they were caught nothing would happen to them!

I am not that old, yet my generation seems to be the last that is very interesting in the community not just themselves.  

That's part of the reason that the CSB community was so wonderful in my opinion.  So many NICE people.  Generally speaking, we have had more people giving time and help without nasty attitude than anywhere else I have visited.  
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 04:31:47 PM »
Woah! That is unreal. It is definitely the parent's fault and kids can not be held to blame for how they are up to a certain age. It makes me want to get busy with more things for kids and fast. I agree we can't even interact with children at all anymore it seems. With so many weirdos in the world even being nice is suspect. Our society has really fragmented. It all makes me really sad for the future generations as well as the ones here now.

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 05:12:05 PM »
Maybe you have already seen this example of what we have been talking about:

A lady from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, purchased a new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, from an OU football game, having driven on to the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich.

Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, she sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was set.

The Oklahoma jury awarded her, are you sitting down, $1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually
changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just in case the lady has any relatives who might also buy a motor home!

Go figure that one!  ???

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 05:35:40 PM »
The Oklahoma jury awarded her, are you sitting down, $1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just in case the lady has any relatives who might also buy a motor home!

OMG!!! no I had not seen that story!  Wish I had been on the jury!  What about common sense, personal responsibility? If she were in an auto with cruise control, would she think it ok to just open the door and get out? or sit back and watch you tube on her cell phone?  What was WRONG with the jury?  How could they award that??  :xmouth: :xmouth: :xmouth:

Yes, clearly things have gotten out of control. You can not outlaw stupid. But you should not pay for it either.
Teach people to make better choices and think of consequences instead of awarding them money for being a fool.
Awards like that only muddy the waters.  If a company is producing a product (medicine, technology, anything) that is known to be harmful/unsafe and they leave it on the market, then maybe a lawsuit is the only way to get them to act.  But suing because you are too stupid to drive is ridiculous!

Wanda, I assure you that event was VERY real. Frightening and life altering.  I have NEVER been back to that Pizza Hut and will not ever go back either!  That episode stunned me on many levels...the mother didn't notice her child was in danger, left her child, nearly caused injury to the child, nearly caused injury to me... I want to think she was just so scared for her daughter that it boiled over...fear often comes out as anger...but I don't really think that....
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Restricted
Landing and walking on the moon
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 11:55:46 AM »
Is anyone watching the special on FOX about how the moon landing could have been faked?  It is extrememly interesting.  Any thoughts on this theory?

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 03:03:12 PM »
It would have been extremely easy to fake, even in those days. I could do it myself. But it was such an inspiring moment in history, capturing the attention of the whole world, I don't want to believe any of thise conspiracy theories, no matter how convincing.

Rick

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 03:50:26 PM »
I saw that show.  And I saw the movie Capricorn One (faked landing).

IF it were a conspiracy, there would have been too many people that knew about.  Would have gotten out a long time ago. And certainly would have been a HUGE story worldwide.  I do not believe that it was faked.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 05:10:51 PM »
  I do not believe that it was faked.

Me neither...  :noshake: