Author Topic: Anyone a SCIFI fan? Stargate SG1  (Read 5293 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Anyone a SCIFI fan? Stargate SG1
« on: June 06, 2007, 03:37:19 PM »
Love the series.  10 seasons is enough for this one but have to admit, they may get me to look at the DVD movies that will follow... :-[
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Re: Anyone a SCIFI fan? Stargate SG1
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 06:48:49 PM »
Since I rarely watch TV, I have only caught a few episodes - So is it going off the air too this year? Or did it already?

I thought they did a great job from what I saw. I bet you are right that the after marketing will take off because one thing about scifi fans is that we are loyal. I used to regularly watch the X files and the first two star treks.

Sci fi is my favorite thing along with comedy but I've never been a "fan" of a comedy show like I have been for scifi. Modern technology has almost caught up with some of what I watched years ago! It's fun to look into the future.

:)
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 08:38:54 PM »
Still has 2-3 episodes left in the 10th and final season, have already passed 200 episodes a while back so it is the longest running series of the genre.  2 movies for dvd release are already being filmed....may be more depending on sales/rentals.

Yup. I am a Star Trek fan, all versions to some degree. Enjoy the references back and forth across shows.  Continuity and feeling of an old friend...as though the other characters still exist...still have life somewhere....like people you have known that move away. No longer get the daily stories about them, but might get a snippet of news now and then.  I don't go to conventions, or have the ability to name episodes, etc but still enjoy the ST universe.

SGI has a bit of that flavor too with the spinnoff of StarGate Atlantis.  Some crossover of characters.
And both shows have amusing sides.  Far less serious than Star Wars.  And more optimistic about our future.

Can't get into BattleStar Galactica.  Too dark, too dim, too negative for ongoing series for ME.
I like HOPEFUL series that make me smile...   :-[

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
  • Just 'aving a look
    • Genealogical Branchlines
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 11:34:53 AM »
Yep.  I’m a Stargate SG1 fan!  :clapping:

I’ve been a Sci-fi fan since the 1940s.  It was Flash Gordon in those days, and we saw it at the children’s matinee at the flicks (Cinema) on Saturday Mornings.  Used to cost us 6d. (That’s GBP0.025 pence in today’s money – only the 0.005 pence no longer exists).

Stargate SG1 followed on from the film: Stargate.  Seasons 1 to 8 were broadcast on terrestrial TV here in the UK, then Cable took over and broadcast Seasons 9 and 10.  I didn’t see the latter two as we don’t subscribe to cable.  There’s more than enough for us on terrestrial.

In the last few years I’ve installed a TV and DVD player in my bedroom so that I have something to amuse myself with when I’m not feeling so well.  I have also invested in the Stargate SG1 Seasons 1 to 9, with Season 10 on order for when its published here in the UK (region 2) in December.  All Seasons 1 to 10 are already available in the USA (region 1).  Anyway, I’ll have something different to watch around Christmas.

I don’t know how legal it would be, but I sometimes wonder: Wouldn’t it be nice to write an episode or two.  I’m one of the people who has a vivid imagination, :idea: but I can never get it down in writing before I forget what it was all about.

Another Sci-fi series I enjoy is Andromeda.  Again, I have Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD.  Seasons 3 and 4 are held up in the post somewhere.  According to the delivery tracking, they’ve been on the truck for 3 days now, but the truck hasn’t called here.  Well … perhaps Monday.

Mind you, I’ve got many other DVDs, not just Sci-fi.
OldTimer Still playing trains in my retirement. :hapscream:
www.genealogicalbranchlines.com
www.kilmersdon-radstock.org.uk

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 09:23:25 PM »
It was Flash Gordon in those days, and we saw it at the children’s matinee at the flicks (Cinema) on Saturday Mornings

I am not of your age, but I too saw Flash Gordon and others as the weekly serial at the childeren's matinee movie on Saturdays!  I grew up listening to serial radio programs at night.  No TV for years. And when we did get it, it was black and white, one station!  :boogie: Disney on sunday night, 7pm.  I grew up in Germany (not an army brat, just a civilian brat!) so my formative years match those of people older than my own generation.  :D

Like you, I had only broadcast tv.  But when Stargate went to cable, I finally broke down and got cable just so I could watch that! And of course I am now addicted to other shows only available on cable.   :-[

I only have season 1 of STARGATE (a gift), and sorry to say none of any of the Star Trek series. But I do own all the original series TWILIGHT ZONES. It is the ONLY series I have. I thought long and hard before buying them too!  Big $$ for that set. What program have I seen over the years that I can still watch and be surprised by?  TZ is the only one that comes to mind.  The writing, acting, story lines and the people....I knew the investment would not be wasted. I would watch those over and over and over and over..... :yes:  So many TV shows and movies got their ideas from that show. Even today.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 05:15:50 AM »
No, I am not a fan for the same .