Author Topic: Max A Million  (Read 4351 times)

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Max A Million
« on: December 09, 2008, 01:24:07 PM »
When Tara died October 4th of course I was heart broken and completely not ready for another pet. I didn't think I wanted one at all or at least for a while because I was just ready to be free of the responsibility. After all I have had a child or one kind or the other since I was 15. Tara living to be 19 was a long journey.

But as things would have it, fate wasn't going to let that happen to me. In June a friend of mine who works at NORTH SHORE ANIMAL LEAGUE, http://www.nsalamerica.org/ posted a picture of a 15 year old Schipperkee male that had been put in their care on her web site. I said at the time, awww, I wish I could help him but because of Tara's age, that wasn't an option. So after I returned to FL from Hawaii and had taken care of Tara's remains, my thoughts turned to Max. She posted more pictures of him and the sadness on his little face was so evident it was nearly heartbreaking. Still, NSAL is in NY - I am currently in FL. But as the days went by and I studied that face something in my heart made me think that to save him was what I was supposed to do. It was a difficult decision but I thought of Tara and how if something had happened to us when she was at that age, that I would not have wanted her to spend her last days in a shelter. Finally we made the call and discovered he was rescued from a kill shelter, that he had already been in NSAL before and that the last owners dropped him off because they got a new puppy and didn't have time for him any more. Who would give someone like that a puppy
????

After owning a Schipperke for so many years, I knew this dog was heart broken and most likely still a vibrant dog otherwise. His health records indicated he was in good shape. Finally, I couldn't bear to think of letting him waste away so we headed north. We spent a few days in NY city seeing the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building and other typical sites. We also arrived on Halloween fully prepared to get dressed up and be part of the Halloween Parade and specifically in Greenwich Village. What a riot! What fun we had! When we finally picked up Max he was so special and so confused. He didn't' like to be held, he wouldn't eat and he was a nervous wreck. On the trip home he was getting to know us but I think he wasn't sure what was about to happen to him next after all of his ordeals.

He was sick for the first few weeks but all better now. He loves to play, run, EAT and is one of the most loving little creatures I have ever met. He was named Max and I named him Max A Million because the odds of us finding each other were one in a million and he is worth a million dollars to me now. He is a little taller and longer than Tara and all boy. He is also a city dog and is still in awe over nature, boating, the ocean and even our back yard. But he is going to be alright. He still gets sad looks sometimes but I hope in a few moths what ever is scaring him or hurting him will be a distant memory. I am so glad we get the chance to spoil him silly. I really believe Tara would approve and be happy for all of us.  :yes: :hearts: :) He arrived home on November 4th, Tara's Birthday.

RIP  Tara  :schip:
Tara's Last Boat Ride

Cheers to MAX  :schip:
His First Boat Ride

First Night HOME  :yes:

[/b]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:46:38 PM by SafariWoman »
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Max A Million
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 03:07:38 PM »
 :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

HOW WONDERFUL!!!!!!!   :hearts: :hearts:

I am so happy for you!  Max has been given a wonderful gift...time with people that will appreciate him and give him love that he should have in his waining years. 

I don't know how someone can give away a mature animal to take in a younger animal. Doesn't make sense to me.
But I think you folks were destined for each other.  He is helping to heal your heart, you are helping him to live!
 :kickdancing: :kickdancing: :kickdancing:
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 06:38:58 AM »
What a wonderful story. You have a heart of gold, Wanda. Thanks for the pics too.

Our neighbors had a Schipperke when I was about 8. They also had another 4 big dogs. We had two dogs, a Fox Terrier and a Labrador cross. As kids we had so much fun with the dogs, there were no fences or walls in those days and the dogs used to do everything with us including swimming in the pool. The strange thing was that the Schipperke (a male) was the smallest dog but was actually the leader of the pack and all the dogs respected him including ours. One could almost see them listen and obey him when he gave them orders.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 02:08:46 PM »
A neighbor of my mother's had a Chow female we nicknamed MAMA.  She ruled the street.  We had some yappy dogs and some fierce beasts on that cul-de-sac, but when MAMA would bark twice, every other dog would stop!  She was the best dog....was best friends with my 6# mini-lop eared rabbit. My tiny rabbit and this dog with the aggressive reputation would play together so cute!  She was so gentle and sweet with my bunny. And the bunny would run directly to the dog to get nuzzles.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 05:36:13 AM »
Thanks Sammy and Ed.  :D

What a nice thing to say about how we found each other. It still amazes me that I did this sometimes. lol But he is such a good dog. We really got lucky. Schips are very dominant dogs when they are in a healthy home. Tara was always the one to run off the big dogs. When she was a puppy no bigger than a hand full she would try to attack our neighbors dalmation and the dalmation would always run away. lol They are very smart, clever and precious dogs. I wish I could have seen her in a pack situation but we never lived anywhere near enough to other dogs.

lol Sammy - sounds like the little ones can really have the biggest egos.

Awww I just love dogs and am glad to find some fellow dog lovers here as well.

If Max is 15 he may have 4 or 5 more years and that is sad but I am glad he will have a family to love and take care of him. One of the girls at NSAL said, "Oh Florida! That is a great place for him to go down to with all the other retirees." lol

Well thanks again; I just wanted to share news about my new family member.

Success is a way of life found moment by moment