SPECIAL TOPICS > Mobile website

Mobile browsers

(1/4) > >>

Samrc:
Thought we should start a new section specifically for the MOBILE generation.
Though the use of mobile web is still only about 5% of the viewing audience, it is expected to rise. (Laptop magazine, 2008)  Most mobile communication is for email and texting, not web viewing.

BROWSERS being used:

SAFARI
Looks like the web, but not everything is supported.  Includes built-in flash 7 support
zoom built-in for better viewing.
Used on Iphone and Itouch mp3 players

Internet Explorer Mobile
Web pages are broken into pieces, columns, page is not shown as complete. 
Does NOT look like the web.  Clumsy. 
Used on phones and pdas with Windows mobile 5 & 6 mobile edition.
Flash and many script options are not supported so some things may not function or show as blank areas.

Skyfire
Free browser application that looks and feels like the REAL web! 
Flash, Javascript, Youtube, Facebook, all supported.   Full zoom capabilities.
Load Skyfire on Windows Mobile (version 5 or 6) or newer Symbian Series 60 phones

=======================
My preference:
1. skyfire  :hearts:, 2. safari  :D, 3. IE mobile  :) 

- I HATE using my IE mobile browser on my phone.  :yuck:  But that's what came on it.
- I have used the safari browser on an itouch mp3 player (2nd gen) and was surprised and pleased that the web was a far nicer place to browse. Some things just aren't supported but that's ok...
- Then I was sent a get well card (been really sick).  Couldn't see FLASH on my phone so I went to read up on what to do about it.  I have Win Mobile 6 on an HTC Mogul from Sprint.  Big fat phone with sliding keyboard. HUGE thing but hey...it does the job.  I read up on skyfire on a forum for my phone.  MANY people use it and recommend it. Took me 3 tries to get the download but finally did and WOW!   :boogie:
Take a look at the demo on the skyfire.com website. 
This application changes the MOBILE world completely!   I AM IMPRESSED!!!
I visited several sites that I use frequently and found this browser better than the Safari, which is much better than the IE mobile. The corner curl on Samisite.com curls down like the real website, flash works and I can see youtube for the first time! And amazingly fast too. I have not tried to post to the forum with it yet, but will soon.
If they expand this app, it could become the only internet browser!  And we would not have to design for different sizes!

rickasaurus:
Samantha, I fully agree with you to have a new section specifically for mobile websites. I believe this will be the fastest-growing section of web design. It would be great if Samisite forum could develop a reputation for offering special help in this area.

I think Site Spinner could be a part of this, since it is specifically designed to produce BOTH regular and mobile sites, in such a way that the browser detects which site to access.

Rick

Samrc:
Could be.  Or not.  If this SKYFIRE browser catches on for cell phones, mobile equipment in general, we would not need to have special MOBILE type sites.  Take a look at the demo.  I put it on my phone and it DOES work the way they show on the demo.  Amazing.  No reason to have a special version of the website if you have a browser like that available.  And the browser installation file is only 520kb!

Ed:
I've been using Opera which seems to be faster than IE on my device.

Samrc:
anything is faster than IE these days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version