Author Topic: Animation Shop dropped by Corel  (Read 16332 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Animation Shop dropped by Corel
« on: March 20, 2009, 12:23:29 PM »
Finding an animation software that fits you is sometimes difficult.
I fell into Animation Shop years ago and upgraded it through version 3.3.
And this one quickly became my #1 animation software for web work.

Jasc sold it separately and bundled with Paint Shop Pro.  Corel bought out Jasc and kept Paint Shop Pro alive.
They have chosen to discontinue Animation Shop so it will not get a VISTA version.
I am sad about this.  It is a lovely piece of software.
Lightweight, EASY to make some very nice effects, small gif size, onionskinning, intuitive, even exports other formats!

Though AS3 is still my primarly animation software, I have been working with other software too.
Xara Xtreme makes animations, but what do you folks use? 

What is YOUR favorite animation software?

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Re: Animation Shop dropped by Corel
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 07:46:17 AM »
Exactly the same, JASC is my favorite for gifs, thanks to you, but I also like Swish for flash.

Adobe is monopolizing everything! Pretty soon there won't be a choice left and we'll have to pay exorbitant prices.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 09:34:31 AM »
Adobe is a greedy beast!

:agree: :offtopic:
For PHOTO work, PSP is still my favorite PHOTO editor. 
Jasc made a great product at a good price.  Was easy to recommend. 

Feel the same about XARA's XX for vector artwork.  Easy to recommend.
The VECTOR graphics I have done in XARA Xtreme Pro 4 (XXP4) import very nicely into Adobe's Illustrator. 
So far the printers have had no complaints about the XARA made files.
So why use Illustrator when I can ENJOY making them in XXP4 at 1/10th the cost?
Hopefully XARA will eventually take a share of the market from Adobe in the Vector program wars.
They have VERY strong roots in the industry.  After all, XARA used to provide the speedy drawing engine for CorelDraw.  When the lease was up, Xara did not renew the lease with Corel.
Xara decided to produce their OWN product and compete.  So glad they did.

Of the 3 program families, Xara, Corel and Adobe, Xara is now my favorite for cost, fun, abilities for clipart, ads, flash pieces.  Corel comes in second since they are maintaining the PSP line. 

BUT back on topic...  Still need to find another animation software...
XXP can make animated gifs but the process is different and I still don't have the hang of it. 
They also don't have the built-n effects that AS3 does....  :(  Will use AS3 as long as I can but really need to learn an alternative too...

Wanda, what do you use?
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Big Cat Lover
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 09:09:36 PM »
Howdy, everyone ~

Can't recommend the software because I don't do animations, but can attest to the company: Alchemy Mindworks. Have been using their Graphic Workshop Pro since the 80s.  Their programs are lean, efficient and easy enough to use. You might check out a trial version to see if this would be a suitable replacement.

http://www.mindworkshop.com/alchemy/animwork.html

Offline hidden

• ???
  • I am new here.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 05:00:40 PM »
Finding lots of psps and tutorials as I learn Paintshop. Some are older and suggestion animation software no longer available. I would like your recommendations and will also being reading posts as to what's suggested.
Rivqa

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 08:47:16 PM »
Welcome to the board.  Almost didn't see your post.  Clearing out the spam blast...

I still use my Animation shop from older PaintShopPro.  Still terrific. But also use my Xara photo program. It does flash and animated gif as well as photo editing.  Most of the animated ads made on this page are from the Xara program.

I've played with a few other animated software. I will check my notes on which I liked and post back.
-Samantha